Serums and Mousses

SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Curl NeophytePosts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So i am in and out of the Curly Girl method...currently i am not strictly following it and i am experimenting with coney products....:tongue10:

I wanted to know if any of you here with hair thats in the 3b/3c spectrum (the tighter 3's) have any good results from these types of products and if so...what do you use?

I don't know why but i am on this kick where i want to try serums and mousses on my hair! Lol; i am usually just a conditioner and gel girl.

I just used the Suave Captivating curls mousse on my hair. I used it on top of the TN i left in and applied my EcoStyler gel on top of it for hold. The mousse works as more of a curl enhancer for me; which i really appreciate bc my curls need a boost sometimes. :sad1:

I am tempted to want to try one of the serums from Garnier Fructis and Dove has one i am interested in as well. I would like to find something that will define my curls awesomely but not have to have a gel. Unfortunately here in Florida i think i will always need my EcoStyler...which isn't really a bad thing..bc my hair is still very healthy :)

But antywho....inputs please? :hello1:

ETA: I am also wanting shine. My hair has a slight sheen but it is not naturally shiny. Even while on a strict CG method.

Also ETA: The combo worked great on my hair with the conditioner/mousse/gel :)
2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:

Comments

• artemis513artemis513 Curl Neophyte Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't have 3b/3c curls but I watch them on YT (it helps me understand styling my hair better, if that makes sense) and I've seen ladies either mix serum in their hands with gel and then apply to sections or smooth a bit of serum over fully dried hair to SOTC.

One in particular is Shortysgs03, she uses Aquage gel and serum together over top of Shea Moisture. Another was on AfricanExport's channel--search for "AfricanExport mixed hair" and the video should come up of the girl using eco olive and a garnier serum for shine.

Not sure about using mousse though; if you like hold, mousse won't provide that much. AG makes a mousse gel, so maybe you can try that (mix your own of course).

As you experienced, I think figuring out a cocktail is the best approach for what you're trying to do. I've been searching for myself the best gel-cream combo and experimenting, I love Eco but tire of the thickness and application sometimes...sigh.

HTH and good luck.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Curl Neophyte Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks!😁 Yeah, I tried the serum as an oil to seal on wet hair and it made my hair really frizzy!

It seems to work okay on dry hair, tho.

Then I sealed with coconut oil instead, under my leave in conditioner and then added my gel... It gives me soft unfrizzy hair!

Idk why I didn't try that before! 😕😑

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • artemis513artemis513 Curl Neophyte Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oil or serum on my wet hair = frizz. It's almost like my hair is repelling itself. I don't seal the way most folks do for that reason, I wait till my hair has dried. So, more like a finisher which I guess is the same thing?? I have great curl definition fresh out of the shower, so to add something that frizzes me out on-contact...super annoying. But on finished, dried/styled hair it's all good.

Glad you found something that works.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    Artemis I have the same challenge as well. Besides coconut oil anything else, the moment it touches my hair it starts to detest.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014

Leave a Comment