Snobby People!

gymluvgymluv Posts: 22Registered Users
So I'm in 8th grade. I'm in honors/gifted classes and I'm 1 of the five black students out of 33 students in my class. To put it nicely, I really don't like 1/3 of the people in my class. They're do-gooders who are arrogant and full of themselves. I don't know if this is true or not, but I feel like they think that they're smarter and better than I am just because I'm black and never really "show off" my smartness. I'm usually to myself and don't get all riled up by other people, but their little snarky looks and comments are really pushing me to the edge. I usually don't say anything to anyone, but I really want to tell them about themselves and put them in their place. I'm not the only person who feels this way, other people in my class do as well. However, I don't think most of them do it intentionally. They do it subconsciously, but it still gets on my everlasting nerves. Maybe, I'm just not used to going to school in a big city; everything's always different in the city. I moved to where I currently live almost one year ago. I used to live in a small rural town where everyone went to the same school and everyone knew everyone. I can't name one person off the top of my head who was snobby at that school. Sorry for the long post; I just needed somewhere to vent! What do y'all think I should do about the situation, and why are smart, white people or smart people in general so snobby? I'm not being racist; I just tend to notice patterns. By the way, if it's important, I live in Georgia.

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's difficult Gymluv. I wish I had some good advice but it's painful to be around snobby people, especially at your age. I'm much older and I hate to be around snobby people. I try to avoid them as much as I can but it sounds as though you don't have that choice.

What would you advise a close friend to do in this circumstance? Sometimes if you can think of that, it puts your thinking outside of yourself and you can come up with good solutions.

Feel free to vent here. That's what we are here for! Let us know how it is going. :flower:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Until they say something directly disrespectful to you, just keep ignoring them. It is something you will continue dealing with snobby smart people and white snobby smart people who think they are better than you or confused at your smartness. I am from Georgia and went to UGA- it never ends. Sorry to depress. Just hang around those who are supportive and continue being kind to all.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think gagirl09's advice is very good, but I'm not sure I'd manage to be kind to all who were not nice to me; the best I'd manage is neutral.

People are very challenging. Finding those with whom you have something important in common makes all the difference. Also, snobbish behavior stems from insecurity: people will use literally any detail to differentiate themselves from another in order to elevate their shaky self-esteem. A person may seem like the most confident woman on earth, but I believe true confidence manifests itself with kindness and acceptance of others.

Oh, and life really does get better after high school — I promise.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Agreed. Ignore them.

And have some quick responses readily available. A good one is "And what's your point?". Stand your ground, nicely but firmly
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your story reminds me of one of my heroes, Lt. Henry Ossian Flipper, the first African American to graduate from the US Military Academy at West Point and the first African American military officer to lead his own regiment of soldiers in battle.

He wrote an autobiography that described how he was ostracized and tormented during his four years at West Point. During that time, not a single White student spoke to him and university administrators tried (unsuccessfully) on several occasions to have him expelled. After the other three Black cadets got chased out of school, he didn't have a single friend or ally.

What should you do in this situation? Do you!

Don't pay any attn to the haters.

Like it says in Proverbs in the Bible: As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file