Is this buildup?

BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
I have gotten frustrated with trying to keep frizz down, so I have flat ironed my hair twice in the last week. Anyway for a long time now, I have this white stuff on the top of my scalp that isn't really dandruff, but it's itchy and maybe the consistency of lotion and gets under my fingernails when I scratch (eww I know). Anyway when I wasn't straightening, I didn't notice it and since I have straightened it is back. I can't pinpoint exactly what products have changed as I keep sooo many shampoos/conditioners and interchange them. But the one thing I know I WASN'T using when not straightening is the Pureology Fortifying Heat Spray. I am assuming it is something in it causing this. (When I washed my hair today with Devacurl No-Poo, it didn't even touch the stuff and I had to use Pert to get it out) Anyway I would love to try to figure out what is causing the buildup or reaction, but don't know where to start. I can't find an ingredient list online, but it has PEG-14 Dimethicone and PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil at the top of the list and I am thinking possibly one of these, but I thought they were water soluble and the No-Poo should have removed them??? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's likely some combination of dead skin cells and sebum not just product: scalp conditions don't exclusively present as flaking, depends in the condition and severity.

See your family doctor, a dermatologist or even pharmacist for a formal diagnosis then treat that.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got this when I was using a product with castor oil in it (but it wasn't the PEG-castor oil). When I scratched my scalp I got white stuff under my fingernail. That was my sign to myself that I had buildup. I don't normally get that when I scratch my head when my scalp is clean.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    It's likely some combination of dead skin cells and sebum not just product: scalp conditions don't exclusively present as flaking, depends in the condition and severity.

See your family doctor, a dermatologist or even pharmacist for a formal diagnosis then treat that.

I used to think that, but then when I wasn't straightening my hair for about a month, it wasn't there and my head didn't itch as much either, which is why I was thinking it might be something my scalp doesn't like in the heat protector spray. I am going to stay away from the pureology anyway as I am out and see how it goes from there.
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I got this when I was using a product with castor oil in it (but it was the PEG-castor oil). When I scratched my scalp I got white stuff under my fingernail. That was my sign to myself that I had buildup. I don't normally get that when I scratch my head when my scalp is clean.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, maybe I will try to stay away from the castor oil just in case.
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to get this stuff all the time. Also had a flaky, itchy scalp in general. I would do brown sugar scrubs but it was more like a temporary fix.

I finally went to a dermatologist because I was tired of it! She diagnosed me with seborrheic dermatitis. Got prescriptions for a ketoconazole shampoo and extra strength anti-itch liquid. Can't remember what it's called off the top of my head.

Anyway, after about a month, my scalp is nearly normal! I do get the occasional flake but it's 90% better than it was before.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bamagirl: something in a product that your skin is reacting to is still a scalp complaint, for example irritant contact dermatitis or allergic contact dermatitis.

Even seborrhoeic dermatitis (regular greasy dandruff) can be triggered or worsened by sulphate surfactants or oils and butters rich in certain fatty acids, especially oleic.

Do bear in mind much irritation and inflammation is invisible, so it is possible to be just teetering on the edge of a visible reaction due to lifestyle and genetic factors. It can be a product or single life event that tips the balance.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Bamagirl: something in a product that your skin is reacting to is still a scalp complaint, for example irritant contact dermatitis or allergic contact dermatitis.

Even seborrhoeic dermatitis (regular greasy dandruff) can be triggered or worsened by sulphate surfactants or oils and butters rich in certain fatty acids, especially oleic.

Ok, thanks for explaining that further. I wasn't thinking about it being seborrhoeic dermatitis and being made worse by a product I was using, I was thinking the product was causing the situation itself. I go back to the dermatologist soon, so I will ask him about it then. Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file