In experimentation process, any tips?

butter52butter52 Registered Users Posts: 292
Hello everyone:flower:

Ive been reading (and studiying) your forum and links and all the great information and trying things on my hair. I want to grow it a bit, maybe to shoulder lenght.

So I think my hair is low porosity (also i have a layered wavy bob so I trim it regularly, which helps a lot, when it was long and damaged the ends were very porous).

I think its also medium, not coarse not fine.

I did the snap test and its elastic, returning to its natural state.

My scalp gets oily so I need to wash it every second day. Since just cowashing was making my scalp look gross I'm trying with a diluted shampoo (50%shampoo, 50% siliconfree condish) on my scalp, and condish for the rest. And if I need to wash every day I just use condish on the second day. This is going kind ok ok-ish, I havent tryied long enough though to confirm if its improving.

It also likes a bit of oil, just a bit, I tried a DT/prepoo with almond and coconut oil and my hair looked HoRRIBLE after washing (yeah, defined curls but dull dull dull no shine and no nothing). So I just use it as usual at the ends after washing and it helps with frizz.

I think it doesnt like keratin but it likes a tiny bit of silk protein, but I dont have enough data to confirm.

Styling is the big problem, I need to find something yet that doesnt make my hair look greasy or dirty or flaky on the second day but helps define the curl. Need to experiment more but I have the feeling my hair doesnt like layers of stuff on it.

So with this info, can you give me some tips as to what "directions" I might want to try? or what subforums might have good info I'm missing out? there is so much information is overwhelming (and expensive LOL)

Thank you curlies!

Comments

• HtBlackHtBlack Registered Users Posts: 292
    When I noticed my hair would feel gunky after a few days of products layering I started making flax seed gel and a harder hold gel to put on top if I need more hold and that has made all the difference! They don't have external ingredients that cause unnoticed buildup and so on. (: and they feel lighter on the hair also.

About the prepoo oil treatment, are you sure you didn't use too much oil? Especially if you're lower porosity your hair might not like heavier things on it so maybe you should use less quantity and distribute it more.

About cowashing, at first my scalp was a bit gross too but it's often because the frequent shampooing sort of sends the scalp into sebum overload and so even when you stop using shampoo at first it's going to keep producing the same crazy quantity of sebum it did before... you need to give it some time! Granted, cowashing isn't for everyone, but if you tried it for only a week or so you should try for longer. ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
    Oh and! Usually mixing shampoo and conditioner isn't a good idea! Better dilute it in water. They can form compounds that build up when mixed.

A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Do you have soft or hard water? I have hard and can't cowash or my scalp is gross too. I think you're right on about mixing a low poo and conditioner together. I just got Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner, which has coco betaine in it, so it acts as a great no poo for me, and actually cleans my hair as well.

Have you tried Kinky Curly Curling Custard as a styler? I find it to be very light, yet effective - as long as you don't cake it on the hair.

If you're low porosity, I would stay away from oil and lots of layers of product. If you want to do a leave in and a styler, just use minute products of both.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • butter52butter52 Registered Users Posts: 292
    Thanks ladies!

Ht Black:
    Im defenetly going to try the flaxseed gel as soon as i can :)

I though about transitioning slowly to less shampoo and more condish see if i can do it without looking terrible at work :P

Sixelamy:
    My water is soft-ish.
    I havent tried KCCC, im not in the US, but I think they have it on amazon or iherb so ill give it a try :). And yeah, I think ideally I should find a styler I can wear with no leave in.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    HtBlack wrote: »
    Oh and! Usually mixing shampoo and conditioner isn't a good idea! Better dilute it in water. They can form compounds that build up when mixed.

Really?? Hmm.. I never knew. Nevermind my comment then lol
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    Also try any la looks gel. They are amazing & cheap. Parts of my hair are low porosity & they work well. Try a lighter oil such as jojoba oil on your hair. My hair doesn't like olive oil because it's too heavy. But I do prepoo with because it helps reduce tangles.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    But coconut oil is also too heavy for low porosity hair.
    Thanks for the tips curlicious!

I tried jojoba few years ago and I didnt like it (dont remember why lol, maybe i should give it another try). The mix of almond and coconut goes great for my ends to help with frizz after shower (I just use a drop) but I think I should find something lighter as you guys say. Mostly as prepoo as long as I use shampoos.
    Im going to do oil homework.

Thanks to you all, Im impressed by all the tips and help so quick! This is sucha nice and fun comunity!
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is fine/low porosity. When I first found nc.com, I transitioned from shampoo/conditioner every day to every three days. However, I wet every day (at that point, I didn't use products.) I cowashed for six months and my hair was okay (at that point I was using products.) Eventually, I started using natural soap bars to cleanse, when they were the rage almost six years ago. Although they are out of favor, I use jar soap or the natural soap bars--3-5 days in the summer, 7-10 days in the winter. I take CJ Daily Fix to the salon when I get my hair cut every six weeks. And shampoo every few months when I need to remove an ingredient my hair doesn't like.

The best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. You've determined yours. The information here will help you choose ingredients based on properties Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free Her e-book is a great investment. All of the information in one place.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks hathymack! But I couldnt find the ingridients for each hair tipe in the Live curly live free link, or did you mean its on the ebook?

I tried aloe gel as styler and worked really good! Too badiI had ordered some stuff allready...gess I will need to find different uses for things I get.

My hair is feeling softer and with more defined curls but its not so shiny. Maybe its build up from mixing shampoo and conditioner :(. So my question is, how long more or less will you try a product untill you decide its actually not working and you try something else?

Hugs
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Depends on how bad the product leaves my hair.

Normally 5-7 times.

Some products you try on freshly washed hair, others on damp hair, under a product, over a product etc just to see if you are using it wrong and it's not the product.

There is normally a blogger or someone on one of the curly hair forums who has posted on how they have used it which is why you brought it in the first place.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    butter52 wrote: »
    Thanks hathymack! But I couldnt find the ingridients for each hair tipe in the Live curly live free link, or did you mean its on the ebook?

I tried aloe gel as styler and worked really good! Too badiI had ordered some stuff allready...gess I will need to find different uses for things I get.

My hair is feeling softer and with more defined curls but its not so shiny. Maybe its build up from mixing shampoo and conditioner :(. So my question is, how long more or less will you try a product untill you decide its actually not working and you try something else?

Hugs

The e-book has charts that tell you what to do based on texture and porosity. If you're just learning about your hair, it really is a great investment.

I never used products before I started lurking on nc.com. In the beginning, I really read and researched. When I started, I had to try every product anyone discussed. Now, I've learned what my hair likes and I only buy new things based on that. My hair likes the more natural products from the online, "boutique" type companies. I stay away from chemicals, especially polyquats (4, 7 and 10 give me real problems.) If my hair isn't great the first time I use a product, I may use it again in a different dewpoint or with other products.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks!
    Hey this is working!!

I stoped the shampoo/conditioner mix, i think tBlack was totally right about the buildup.

Im lowpooing every 3 days instead of shampooing every day. The other days I cowash. Little by little see if i can space more the lowpooing.
    Im using a tiny miny half drop of beautiful curls sheabutter curl cream to crunch.

And hell my hair is shiny and defined and not dirty/greasy looking!
    <3 glad it's working out for you. Post pictures if you feel like it!

--
    Routine:
    I will as soon as I can :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file