Help with undies and possible mould problem

DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
It's been raining a lot and the weather is humid, and I live in a tiny flat that is just one room, so I mostly just leave my panties to dry in the bathroom, since I don't have a laundry room. Not ideal, I know. I take my clothes to a laundry, but wash my own underwear at home.

They are taking too long to dry and beginning to smell like clothes that have been left wet too long, so naturally I'm worried about mould.

I bought a couple of new ones earlier today, but should I throw the old ones out or can they be saved? Some match my bras, so I'd like to keep them. They are all colored, so I don't know about bleach. Would boiling them in water do the trick?

There's no visible sign of mould, just that smell of clothes that have been wet over a day or two.

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Dedachan wrote: »
    It's been raining a lot and the weather is humid, and I live in a tiny flat that is just one room, so I mostly just leave my panties to dry in the bathroom, since I don't have a laundry room. Not ideal, I know. I take my clothes to a laundry, but wash my own underwear at home.

They are taking too long to dry and beginning to smell like clothes that have been left wet too long, so naturally I'm worried about mould.

I bought a couple of new ones earlier today, but should I throw the old ones out or can they be saved? Some match my bras, so I'd like to keep them. They are all colored, so I don't know about bleach. Would boiling them in water do the trick?

There's no visible sign of mould, just that smell of clothes that have been wet over a day or two.

That sounds more like mildew than mold. Just take them to the laundromat next time you go and wash them on hot. Maybe put in a little Oxiclean.

• sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Could you place them on hangers and point a fan towards them to prevent it from happening again?
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    HOT water should kill anything. If you're going to continue to wash your underclothes at home, you should use very hot or boiling water to wash or rinse. Ring out the water well, roll in a towel to remove most of the moisture, and hang to dry.

Personally, I'd just take them to the laundromat every so often.
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm considering getting one of those sock hangers.

I don't know that we have Oxiclean in my country, do you know the active ingredient or product type?

I will have to see if we have laundromats in my city. Most laundries are the kind where you hand your clothes over the counter.
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've resorted to using a blowdryer on my underwear when traveling, after a wash in the sink.
  • tycho19tycho19 Posts: 805Registered Users
    Add a bit of vinegar to the final rinse. That will kill bacteria and mold.
    2B/2C wavy
    Don't Breed and Buy While Shelter Dogs Die - Adopt your next best friend!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dedachan if you aren't in all the time and don't have guests, move your underwear to the other room once it stops dripping.

When I've stayed in one room apartments the bathrooms weren't ventilated sufficiently so the only way I could deal with my underwear is wash it everyday so a lot didn't build up and move the stuff that wasn't dripping to the other room before I went to work.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    tycho19 wrote: »
    Add a bit of vinegar to the final rinse. That will kill bacteria and mold.

That is exactly what I was going to recommend. Distilled white vinegar added to the wash/rinse will kill bacteria and remove any mildew odor. The vinegar takes any and every odor away with it as is dissipates and also softens your clothing.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A sock hanger would help quite a bit. Your panties will dry a lot faster if the air can circulate around and through them.

Vinegar in the rinse should also help with the more immediate problem of mustiness/mildew.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    I bought some baking soda. I think it should do the trick.

I'm not going to keep them in the bathroom anymore, thanks.

Update: I did a baking soda rinse, then a vinegar rinse, and finally left them in some hot water. They are now wrapped in a towel and soon enough I'll hang them to dry.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Can you buy or rent a stackable washer/dryer set for your apt? If they got mildewy once, they will probably get mildewy again.

Unfortunately no, the apartment is too small. I have a washing machine that is also a drier, but it's in storage.

I'm not hanging them in the bathroom anymore, so we'll see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file