How bad is it to use expired conditioner?

Can using expired conditioner do any real damage? Could it damage my hair and scalp? Could it make me sick?

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Does it have an expiration date on the bottle? Most cosmetics don't. If it doesn't smell funky, doesn't have mold, etc... you should be fine.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • shishacurlsshishacurls Registered Users Posts: 88
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Does it have an expiration date on the bottle? Most cosmetics don't. If it doesn't smell funky, doesn't have mold, etc... you should be fine.

It's my Tresemme Naturals conditioners stash...they don't have an expiration date on them...I looked all over the bottles for one, but I couldn't find anything. I noticed that they smell differently than I remember the conditioner smelling like..they've got kind of a stronger weird smell.....that's what made me wonder if they were expired...I have been breaking out more than usual lately since I started using the bottles that smelt different but I am not 100% sure if that was what was causing my breakouts...the formulation change took place January of last year so who knows how long my conditioners were sitting on the shelves...some of them I just recently bought.....they are still working in my hair fine though and the conditioner looks fine, it's just the smell.

Isn't it the store employees job though to take products of the shelves that are expiring/getting old?
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    If it doesn't have an expiration date, I really wouldn't worry about it. Employees can't purge products that don't have an expiration date. The smell is different from the new formula, I'm not sure which you are comparing the smell too. I would assume if it went bad, it would have sort of a fishy or musty smell to it. Breakouts could be anything - maybe stressing yourself about the conditioner? lol I'm kidding. Use it and be happy you have the good formula.. or I'll gladly take it off your hands :D
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I keep products forever. (It's a bad habit.) You'll know when something goes bad, either by sight or by smell.

I blamed a slightly different formulation of my sunblock for a bad breakout a few months ago. Turned out to be peri-menopause. Sometimes it's hard to tell where one's symptoms originate.

However, if using what you're wondering about makes you very uneasy, I would get rid of it. And I'm not advocating for sixelamy (although I'm not against her, either).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file