Ashamed of giving up shampoo?

bananersbananers Posts: 10Registered Users
I have my first haircut since going CG tonight with a new stylist. I actually found her on this site, so I know she's experienced with curly hair -- and it's even quite possible she's experienced with CG, but I'm still a little nervous. Will she try and shampoo my hair? Will she laugh at me or look down on me when I say I've given up on shampoo? All my friends and family think I'm crazy for not shampooing (although they reluctantly admit my hair looks healthier now), so I've become almost ashamed of telling people about my new secret. Anyone else feel this way? It almost sounds dirty, like telling people you've given up soap or something! LOL
2B/3A, currently on the CG routine

Comments

• GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Posts: 256Registered Users
    Hello... i've had some pretty shocked responses, basically along the lines of "but... isn't your hair dirty?" but the proof is in the pudding as they can all now see how great my hair is looking so they don't think its strange anymore. I once had a hair dresser who was absolutely fascinated and started parting my hair to look at my scalp and then exclaimed "well, its not dirty", she seemed really impressed by the condition.

To be honest, i probably shouldn't but on the rare occasion i do visit a salon i let them use what they like and wash it out with a "normal" shampoo afterwards and give it a deep conditioning treatment, it doesn't seem to make much difference to my hair if its very occasionally shampooed.

You can always tell people you use a hair cleaner instead of conditioner (which is true if you use a non-sulphate poo)
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    bananers wrote:
    I have my first haircut since going CG tonight with a new stylist. I actually found her on this site, so I know she's experienced with curly hair -- and it's even quite possible she's experienced with CG, but I'm still a little nervous. Will she try and shampoo my hair? Will she laugh at me or look down on me when I say I've given up on shampoo? All my friends and family think I'm crazy for not shampooing (although they reluctantly admit my hair looks healthier now), so I've become almost ashamed of telling people about my new secret. Anyone else feel this way? It almost sounds dirty, like telling people you've given up soap or something! LOL

tell the stylist you don't want a shampoo or style. Most will skip the shampoo as long as you don't have a lot of product buildup in your hair (usually hairspray). Some will cut it dry; some will want to mist it with a squirt bottle to wet it down. You'll get out of the salon cheaper, too.

By getting just a cut and no shampoo or styling, you won't have to go into any details about how you cleanse your hair/scalp.

As for telling folks you don't shampoo, don't tell them. If someone asks what you are doing, just tell them you have switched to a non-lathering cleanser. People use non-lathering cleansers on their face all the time, especially folks with dry skin. So, you can equate what you are doing with your hair with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • SkibiesSkibies Posts: 156Registered Users
    You can suggest the CG Book and this awesome web-site. The book explains why you don't shampoo really well. I was talking to a group of girls about no-poo and one girl said I like tips in the CG book but I could not do no-poo. The other girls were like me either, but CGirls are not putting things in their hair that they have to use harsh chemicals to wash out. If someone really wants to know and is open-minded I would explain it to them. But how will curlies know if we don't talk about it. I don't tell straight haired people because why? But I love hair suggestions and if they act weird say don't judge me, my hair looks great and it is no dirty. Be confident, no-poo is the best thing that has happened to my hair.
    3&4 Curls and Corkscrews
    Poo:Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
    Conditioner:Yes To Tomatoes & She Scent It Avocado Conditioner
    Leave-in:QB Burdock Cream
    Styling:QB Amla & Heavy Cream
    Hair Mask:Bentonite Clay
    :afro: *NO MORE HEAT STYLING MY HAIR, JUST LOVING MY HAIR*
    My Blog: http://rizosbonitos.blogspot.com/
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you're not comfortable telling your stylist about CG, just tell them you already washed your hair that day and don't want it shampooed again. When it comes to other people, I don't generally bring it up. I told my close co-workers about CG, and it makes sense to them. Today, I was looking at a magazine with another girl, and there was a pic of the VO5 Passion fruit conditioner. I pointed it out and said I love that stuff to wash my hair. She was intrigued, but definitely not grossed out or anything. I've never had anyone come up and ask me what shampoo I use, but if they did, I'd answer honestly. Then again, I have a lot of confidence when it comes to my hair now, and I don't feel the need to justify myself. When I first started CG, I wasn't so confident about "the secret" either. You can say you don't use harsh shampoos and opt for gentler cleansers instead. You don't want to have everyone thinking you don't wash yourself. ;)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I usually just wash it myself and have them skip the wash and style. Saves a couple bucks usually as well.
    Otherwise, I just tell them that I don't use sulfates or 'cones. If they have products that fit my routine, fine. If not I just have them leave out the products. I've considered bringing my own stuff but haven't found a stylist I'm comfortable with yet.
    Even if you're strictly CG, a little no-sulfate cleanser every now and then isn't the end of the world.
    If you really feel pressed to say more or think they won't wanna go for it, I'd say it's a sensitivity/dermitological issue. For me, that's kinda true. Sulfates make me itch and silicones break me out.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • bananersbananers Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks for all your suggestions/support. I thought I'd give an update since I had my haircut last night. Not only was my stylist familiar with the CG method, but she actually advocates it! She had even attended training by Devachon in NY. For the first time in my life I have found a stylist that didn't send me out of the salon looking like a poodle. She gave me a dry haircut, then "washed" it with No Poo, used a great-smelling conditioner and hair product (I forget which, but she said they were all CG-friendly), and then blotted my hair dry with a t-shirt and dried me for just a few minutes under a hair lamp so I wouldn't be cold leaving the salon.

I've never been so excited about a stylist in my life, and my curls look fantastic today! I've already received compliments at work!
    2B/3A, currently on the CG routine
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's great! :D
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file