Do any of you 3's use the rake and shake method?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I just had my haircut today quite short (I asked for it short) at Alex and Anthony and I really like it but I'm not sure I can duplicate the results. If any of you use the rake and shake method, could you just give some pointers? Do you comb the hair before you apply the product? What product works best for you? They used a mousse on me.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• abstractcurlsabstractcurls Posts: 380Registered Users
    I rake in a leave in conditioner only. I have tried doing it with gel and it just doesn't really work out well for me. I rake the leave in and scrunch in gel. I hope that helps.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    thecurlystace uses this method in one of her videos. She combs sections that aren't behaving right, then rakes and shakes them. I don't remember her combing her whole head in the video though.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Abstract, that's a good method to try. I will experiment that way. Thanks for responding!

Sixe - I totally love the curlystace! I can't remember seeing this video, though. I will look for it. Thanks for the tip! :toothy4:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • missingsummersmissingsummers Posts: 9Registered Users
    I only recently started using the rake and shake method, and it works very well on my hair. I have 3B hair on most of my head, and I do not use a comb at all on that curl pattern. I run the product through with my fingers, starting at the root. The way I learned to do it at the Ouidad Salon was to take two fingers and use them in a flat-ironing motion at the very root of your head, then smooth through. After that, you can run your fingers through for detangling, and finally, shake to get your curls to set. I have a certain area on my head that is a much tighter/different curl pattern, and for that, I do need to smooth product through with a comb before I rake & shake. It really just depends on what you want to do.

On most days, I use:
    Kinky Curly Knot Today (do rake & shake with this)
    Ouidad Shine Glaze (I ONLY use this after my hair has completed drying)

On some days, I use a 3-step ouidad routine, so:
    Moisture Lock Conditioner
    Curl Quench Gel
    Ouidad Shine Glaze (Again, ONLY when the hair has completely dried)

I originally didn't know how to do it to get the result I wanted, but with a little bit of practice, it gets easier. I also realized that separating the hair into a few more sections also makes the curls "pop" more. Let us know if you figure out something that works for you!
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Abstract, that's a good method to try. I will experiment that way. Thanks for responding!

Sixe - I totally love the curlystace! I can't remember seeing this video, though. I will look for it. Thanks for the tip! :toothy4:

I just watched the video again, she does comb her hair in the shower after applying her leave in. Then she finger combs out of the shower and twist and shakes.

Video titled: Get Ready With Me: Naturally Curly Hair Routine
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I just watched this video: Styling Curly Hair - Ouidad's Rake & Shake Technique - YouTube

And I really don't think I could do this method. I can't run my fingers so easily through my hair without breaking up my delicate curls. I don't detangle daily either (because it disrupts my curl pattern), so there will be tangles in the way too.

I looks interesting, though. I might give it a shot after my detangle session tomorrow.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I rake, but I don't shake. The shaking part just doesn't make my hair look good. I use a wide tooth comb to further distribute my LI and gel, then I scrunch all but the top. On top/crown I use a tail comb to lift my curls -- this works better for me than the clips on top (probably because I don't place the clips correctly).

@missingsummers -- I just ordered the Ouidad Shine Glaze Serum for the first time. My hair is on the thin side, so I am planning to use it literally one drop at a time to see if it helps with some "natural-looking" shine instead of the greasy look that I easily get when I overdo these types of products.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • MidwesterncurlMidwesterncurl Posts: 133Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When my hair was longer, I'd use plopping and the skip curl method, but now with it being shorter I just skip curl it. I can't remember where I learned skip curling, but it was from a curly hair products site. R&S doesn't work well for my hair. It needs more "sculpting" to look nice.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like the rake & shake method. It works well to define my curls & no frizz. I diffuse my roots with my blow dryer on its coolest setting to dry my roots that take forever to dry.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for all the replies. This method is great when I'm at the salon, but I just can't get it to work right for me. I think it just breaks up my curls.

In my fantasy life, I have a stylist do my hair every day. Dream on curlypearl! :toothy10:
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair has gotten quite longish on me and in order to keep any clumps what works best for me is to smooth, rake and slightly scrunch...this in about 4 sections of my hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file