Suave Naturals

shishacurlsshishacurls Posts: 88Registered Users
Which Suave naturals conditioners have the best slip? Or are they all the same?

Also, with some of the Suave Naturals conditioners that I have tried, I noticed that it would start leaving a residue on my hair after using it a couple days in a row...has anyone else experienced this? Is there some of the Suave Naturals conditioners that do that less than others?

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use suave tropical coconut conditioner & love it. No residue because I work the conditioner into my hair before applying my gel. But do be careful because suave naturals conditioners have silicones in them. If I were you, I would only use that conditioner as a pre-poo on the day I use a clarifying shampoo to make sure the silicones are gone.
  • MeeBeeMeeBee Posts: 128Registered Users
    Suave Naturals does not contain silicones.
    2C/3A, high porosity, low density, fine-medium

Low Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Clarify: Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying, KCCC
    RO/CoWash: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: AG re:coil, AG Beach Bomb, Mop Top Light Hold Anti-Frizz Gel, LA Looks Xtreme Sport
    PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatin treatment (awesome!)

Hair LOVES proteins!
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    MeeBee is right.

Methylisothiazolinone (MIT) and methylchloroisothiazolinone are preservatives that are usually sold and used as a mixture (trade name: Kathon CG). They are part of the ketone family, a group of organic compounds, and the –one at the end of their name can be confused with the –one found in the names of some silicones. These chemicals are highly effective against yeasts, molds, and both gram negative and gram positive bacteria. However, they are considered to be very strong allergens and irritants of skin and membrane tissue. Some studies have also led to questions regarding potential cytotoxicity and neurotoxicity (although the FDA and CTFA do currently state that the products we use containing these chemicals are safe). Safety considerations aside, these preservatives are water soluble. Even if they were not, they would not be present in appreciable enough amounts to be a source of build up.

Silicone or Not? What's in a Name?

But to answer your original question - I don't find them to have a really excellent slip. I've used 2 or 3 different ones. I personally like the Coconut one the best. I currently also have the Apple and it's just not the same, plus it makes me a bit itchy (maybe from the above?). I don't think I get a residue... if you are using any stylers, it may be more residue from those, depending on what you wash your hair with.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think some people hear "Suave Naturals" on the board, then grab one of the light green Suave Professionals conditioners by mistake because some say "with 100% natural ___" on the front. I know I've seen at least a couple of threads where this was the issue. The light green bottles all have cones and are part of the Suave Professionals line. Some might accidentally grab one of the gold bottles that say "Natural Infusions" on the front, but they're also part of the Suave Professionals line and all have silicones.

The clear bottles are the Suave Naturals and the conditioners are all silicone free, aside from the 2-in-1 Almond Verbena (which has both sulfates and silicones). The shampoos, of course, are not CG friendly, since they all contain sulfates.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was thinking of the suave conditioners in the green bottles.
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    I've been making my way though all the "flavors". I've been thinking some of them are building up in my hair. Right now I'm using wild cherry blossom and sun ripened strawberry and there's something different about them. They're very thick and seem like they're building up.

On the other hand. Tropical coconut, everlasting sun, and the pomegranate ones are AWESOME! They're thinner then the above with great slip. I use all three for conditioner styling.

Anyone have input on build up. I keep checking the ingredients and they're all basically the same except for a couple ingredients.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    greencup13 wrote: »
    I've been making my way though all the "flavors". I've been thinking some of them are building up in my hair. Right now I'm using wild cherry blossom and sun ripened strawberry and there's something different about them. They're very thick and seem like they're building up.

On the other hand. Tropical coconut, everlasting sun, and the pomegranate ones are AWESOME! They're thinner then the above with great slip. I use all three for conditioner styling.

Anyone have input on build up. I keep checking the ingredients and they're all basically the same except for a couple ingredients.

I once had a stylist tell me that Suave was notorious for buildup, but this same stylist told me OSHA would fine her if I brought in my own products to use in my hair (a flat out lie). I started CG with Suave and don't recall having buildup, per se, but I have gradually switched over to VO5 both because it has more protein and because it tends to be lighter overall.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file