Styling product combo for transitioning wavy-curly hair

MarmeladeMarmelade Posts: 12Registered Users
I'm growing out my 2c/3a, coarse, low-medium porosity hair after Japanese thermal straightening. My hair is plenty thick and a bit on the dry side. I've eliminated sulfates and 'cones and have straightened my hair for a couple of months. I wash with No Poo or co-wash twice a week then usually dry with a diffuser.

Can anyone recommend a combination of leave-in and styling products that will control frizz all over while encouraging curl at the ends? The ends are processed and need plenty of moisture, but with heavy products they fall straight beneath the fat waves and curls above.:help:

thanks!

Comments

• MarmeladeMarmelade Posts: 12Registered Users
    Marmelade wrote: »
    I'm growing out my 2c/3a, coarse, low-medium porosity hair after Japanese thermal straightening. My hair is plenty thick and a bit on the dry side. I've eliminated sulfates and 'cones and have straightened my hair for a couple of months. I wash with No Poo or co-wash twice a week then usually dry with a diffuser.

Can anyone recommend a combination of leave-in and styling products that will control frizz all over while encouraging curl at the ends? The ends are processed and need plenty of moisture, but with heavy products they fall straight beneath the fat waves and curls above.:help:

thanks!
    Hey -- help, suggestions? Can't figure out the product mixed for wavy-curly roots and straight ends.

thanks!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may have to fake the curls until the processed hair grows out: curl boosters (hydrolysed protein, magnesium sulphate) are not really suitable for your hair properties and can't make curl appear where there is none.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've seen youtube vids for people transitioning from relaxers and they either have to finger coil if they have enough new growth, or use rods/rollers if they don't to get curly hair. I suspect that one of these techniques will work for you.
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    I am in that exact situation except my hair is 3b! I had a Japanese straightener too over a year ago so I have curly wavy roots and straight ends. I am not going to cut the ends off so I end up setting my hair in a bun or a wrap to get one smooth texture.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GRzAcnhS53c
    This gives me a Victoria Secret model look without any muss or fuss.
    If you want a small curly look, you can curl your ends by doing a multitude of little twisted buns called "bantu knots" all over your head. Look it up on youtube. Similarly, you could do pin curls to curl your ends. I have no interest in that look at my hair length personally, so I will just stick to one bun to make one consistent texture. So I bun every night and right after slightly air drying.

When my hair grows to waist length, THEN, I would like to have crimpy, waves all over and little curls on the ends. So by then I will switch from a bun to two Pocahontas braids for a set at night some times.
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
  • JaeaaliyahJaeaaliyah Posts: 3Registered Users
    Marmelade wrote: »

thanks!
    Hi. Your hair properties are very similar to mine. SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk, the Curl Enhancing Smoothie(less is more), and Moisture Mist are great. The Mixed Chicks leave in curl cream is also really good, but pricey.
    3C, Low Porosity, Normal Density, Medium Texture, Medium Length
    LOIS system: OI, Cottony, Thick strands, Normal density
    HAIR LIKES: Cones, Water, Humectants
    HAIR HATES: Heavy oils
    PP: SMABS balancing condish
    CoWash: SMCH cowash
    LI:SMABS balancing condish
    Styler: SMCH curl enhancing smoothie, SMCH mousse, SMCH moisture mist, SMCH curl and style milk
    Clarify: SMABS balancing condish
    DC: Suave Pro Almond/Shea CO, SMCH curl and style milk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file