How to condition/moisturize on non-wash days?

WorldsTheoryWorldsTheory Posts: 5Registered Users
I'm a little confused. I searched around a little but couldn't find this addressed. I was hoping you curlies could help!

I have 3B hair and just got my first Deva cut (yay!). My hairdresser told me my hair needs plenty of moisture and I need to condition EVERY DAY. I explained how I don't like to co-wash every day because my hair just takes too long to dry. She suggested that I just mix my conditioner with water in a spray bottle and spray my hair to condition.

That doesn't really seem sufficient unless I saturate my hair (and then there's the drying time). Is just spritzing and getting it a little wet enough to condition my hair on my non-wash days? Any other suggestions? I am absolutely willing to just completely wet it with water and conditioner every day, but she sort of made it sound like I don't need to.

I have A TON OF HAIR with 3B curls.

Comments

• sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. I don't wash/re-wet everyday but by the second day, my ends are so dry.
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have very dense hair, and mixing conditioner in a spray bottle does work very well! The only thing you have to be careful of is to not mix a ton, as the product can spoil and start to smell rancid and funky. By the time I was done spraying my hair, it wasn't completely soaked, but it was pretty wet. It does save a lot of time of time. I tend to get more frizz if I use a spray bottle... so sometimes I will just wet my hair with my hands just enough to get all the layers wet (but not soaking wet) and then apply a little conditioner with my hands - much less frizz.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • WorldsTheoryWorldsTheory Posts: 5Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I have very dense hair, and mixing conditioner in a spray bottle does work very well! The only thing you have to be careful of is to not mix a ton, as the product can spoil and start to smell rancid and funky. By the time I was done spraying my hair, it wasn't completely soaked, but it was pretty wet. It does save a lot of time of time. I tend to get more frizz if I use a spray bottle... so sometimes I will just wet my hair with my hands just enough to get all the layers wet (but not soaking wet) and then apply a little conditioner with my hands - much less frizz.

Thank you, sixelamy! I suspected that the spraying would cause frizz, like what happens if I get caught out in the rain or something. :laughing1:

I will try to just apply with my hands and get my hair pretty wet but not soaked. Thanks for the tip on not mixing too much conditioner! I'll make my mixture a little bit at a time.
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To piggy back on what sixelamy said- instead of doing the two steps I'll just put a bit of conditioner in my palm, turn on the faucet and pass my hands under the water, rub to mix, then apply to my hair. Usually when I do this, I'll focus on the ends first, and usually don't have to go too high on my hair. I'll sometimes end up using more water to help distribute the product if I feel like I got some areas heavier than others. This helps me keep the volume I have already at the roots. It does unfortunately require a lot of leaning over the sink to keep water from going everywhere.
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
    Thank you, Lolo! I'll definitely put your suggestion to use.
  • aspenaspen Posts: 154Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been having this exact same problem, I'm going to try the suggestions in this thread and report back :)
    3A-3B / Medium / High Density / Low Porosity
    Modified CG
    Low poo: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine
    Conditioner: Curls Unleashed NB
    Leave in: Creme of Natura Argan Oil Strengthen & Shine
    Styling Product: Curl Keeper/ Curly Solutions gel
    OoooOooOo... I like that lolo, I will have to try that!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    chupie wrote: »

I loved the 2Chic deep conditioner when I used it.... you're making me want to try this.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's nice! I picked it up when I was picking up a bottle of the condish. Which I love.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    You ladies are awesome! Thanks for the great tips.

This morning I tried what lolo suggested and got great soft and moisturized second day hair. :-)
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wet my hair every day, but when I was at work the other day (having a bad hair day), I wet my hair and applied just a little SM Milk with it. Kind of cupping my hands and patting my hair with it. It really made my hair look better. Now, I make sure to take it with me wherever I go just in case I need to refresh my curls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    Now for my curls, I found out using lavender water & a little YTCarrots to spray bottle. Shake it up really good before every use and spray on my curls with it (just enough to dampen the curls). I then seal this with coconut oil. Works like a charm. :)
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter