help with the basics!

jsdollyjsdolly Posts: 3Registered Users
Hey all,
So I’m new to this whole “hair care” scene.. and trying to slowly find my way. It’s a lot of info to take in, and I’m slowly learning about my hair “properties”, as well as it’s “likes” and dislikes.
I would really appreciate some help figuring out the following:
-shampoo and condish
-leave in/ deep treatment
-protein treatment?
There are so many brands and options I don’t know where to begin!! :s

Here is a bit about my hair, what I have learned so far
it is DRY
About 6 inches of natural hair, and the rest (waist length) is dyed lighter
Type 2b/c waves
Medium/little bit coarse hair texture
The prorosity.. I am really not sure! I tried “feel test” but I can’t really tell.. I also tried the sink in water test – and it seems like the dyed part of my hair sank, but the natural part did not?
It is dry and brittle, and gets tangled very easily, and a lot falls out :(
Also if I don’t wash for a while it starts to turn into these dreadlocky twists

“likes” – coconut oil in small amounts

“dislikes” – AVC (turned my hair to straw!!)
-I tried doing a spray in water mix with treseme naturals condish and it did not help dryness
Any help and advice would be great, I really don’t know where to begin!

Comments

• i2credi2cred Posts: 80Registered Users
    I mix olive oil, aloe and a conditioning balm for an overnight deep treatment. You can also add mayo, avocado, banana and eggs. Put the foods in blender to avoid chunks. Saturate hair with the mix, put on shower cap to retain natural heat and sleep like that. It has helped my damaged hair.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
    If your hair is dyed and the dye is permanent then your hair is very likely to be high porosity.

A good way of dealing with dryness is to put coconut oil on your hair leave it on over night but preferably for 13 hours and wash it in the morning. As you have type 2 hair don't go mad with the coconut oil as it's likely to leave it greasy even though you have washed it use very little.

In regards to deep conditioners made up of food ingredients listed the molecules are too big to be absorbed into the strands. Also you don't really want to leave some ingredients on your hair too long.

The Natural Haven has a good article on ingredients that work and don't work as deep conditioners here: THE NATURAL HAVEN: Deep Conditioning: Everything You Need To Know

The sciencey hair blog has an article on elasticity and porosity here: Science-y Hair Blog: Managing Elasticity and Porosity in Hair

Both blogs are a good read on hair science.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    An alternative to acv you can use sea breeze. Put it in a spray bottle & spritz your hair. Massaging it in your scalp will loosen product build up making it easier to cowash product out. Sea breeze will also help an itchy scalp. I had the same problem with acv. Acv made my hair hard, turned it red & my hair was shedding. I used a tiny bit of acv & a sink full of water.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    High porosity and low elasticity by the sound of it. That means your hair takes up too much water when washing, you don't need more moisture but more conditioning. You may be surprised by how much leave in conditioner your dyed section will take.

Proven beneficial ingredients for colour treated hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

You might consider the Sciencey Hairblog gelatin treatment for protein. But do a weak mix the first time if your hair really is coarse (don't confuse this with roughness/ build up/ damage).

Use coconut oil as an overnight pre-wash treatment. If you can't get on with more coconut oil you might try an oil rich in oleic acid (also proven penetrating) such as sweet almond, you may find this aids detangling better than coconut.

For tangles consider conditioner only washing rather than shampoo, conditioner at pH ~4.5 and containing one of the behentrimoniums because these are known for their slip. For clumping and frizz control I find fatty alcohols better than cationic surfactants on my dyed hair but YMMV.

Do be aware tho hair is dead, it cannot be repaired so you may have to be patient whilst you grow or cut out the damage. Don't try to hold onto hair with splits, white dots/ breakage or velcro ends: these tangle on healthier hair higher up damaging that.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file