Really need 2b help

luvthesun1031luvthesun1031 Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi everyone. I need some help from those of you who have been taking care of your curls longer than I have.

I know there is so much information here in the forums, but with a 2-year-old and 8-month-old, I don't have hours and hours to search the boards, so that's why I'm posting a new topic.

Here goes:
  • I have mostly 2b hair. Some parts in the back are probably 2a, and some parts around my face are probably 2c. I am growing it out, and it is currently just below my shoulders.
  • I have always wanted it to be curlier than it is, so I have always tried to force it with mousse, hairspray, etc.
  • I discovered this site about a month ago in my search for hair products that are not so toxic as what I have been using.
  • I did the clarifying shampoo thing about a week ago to get rid of the buildup in my hair, and since then I have been using Burt's Bees More Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner. They are sulfate-free, and I made sure none of my products have any silicones. I wash my hair, condition it, flip upside-down, scrunch-dry it with a towel, and apply mousse (Herbal Essences Volume Mousse). I then dry it with a hairdryer on low with a diffuser.

So here's my issue:
  • I don't have time to wait for my hair to air-dry, but when I diffuse it, I end up with tons of hairs that haven't found any curls to "group with", leaving me with a frizzy look. If I rub a little coconut oil between my hands and loosely rub it through my hair after it is totally dry, that helps the curls group together a little more without using hairspray, but there is still some frizz. So then I get annoyed with it and pull it up or braid it back, but I'd really like to be able to wear it down. If I get really annoyed, I spray some hairspray in it and scrunch it again, which helps all the flyaways find homes.

I need help!!! Does the CG method work for wavies? What products do you use to help you get nicely defined curls and/or waves? What styling methods work for you?

I want to love my hair for what it is, but I'm having a hard time with it.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That happens to me with mousse alone. Try sealing it in with a light gel like FSG or what works awesome is Jessicurl Spiralicious. Barring that try an inexpensive gel like LA Looks Sports gel. It will help seal the clumps together. Mousse isn't strong enough.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • hallamaahallamaa Posts: 22Registered Users
    I'm a fairly new wavy but I can share some experiences. Reading your description of your hair, sounds like we might be hair twins :D

My first guess about your routine is that that the mousse doesn't give you enough hold. I never manage to get my hair clump together with only a mousse... It works great in the root area and gives light hold and lift but doesn't look greasy. With the ends it's a different story. Have you tried raking a generous amount of hair gel into your hair when it's wet and then scrunching a little extra to the ends? Im sometimes shocked how much gel I can pile on my hair... Not a "dime sized dollop" but more of a whole golf ball!

It also sounds like you might be drying your hair too dry and accidentally separating the precious clumps when you dry and apply the mousse. I think us wavies have to be extra careful with the clumping action after the shower. I personally can't use a towel at all (not even the microfiber kind or t-shirt) because it takes away too much water and doesn't allow the hair to clump together. You'll also need to be really careful not to break up the clump tentacles when the hair is still wet (easier said than done with the babies around...)

Have you tried plopping and the super soaker method? Super soaker method is great for promoting clumping and plopping is a safe way to dry the hair without breaking up the clumps. It also makes diffusing less tedious. You can just put your hair into a plop and then wear it while doing chores and tending the little ones. You could also try showering in the evening and wearing the plop overnight if you wanna try minimizing the time you need to diffuse.

The super soaker method in short works like this: After shower you tilt your head, cup your hands together and fill them with water. Then you scrunch the water into your hair, making them soaking wet but with great clumps. Here is a topic about it: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/81176-super-soaker-method-promoting-clumps-updated-video-link.html

Also a lot of people with fine wavy hair seem to hate oil so a lot of the leave-in and curl cream products aimed for curlies are waaay too heavy. You'll need to experiment with this I suppose :) Little oil won't hurt but there is a very fine line.

About the CG-method: Pros of it are that you learn about ingredients, and it encourages you to use products that leave as little residue as possible. This is a good thing for me at least. My hair is very very sensitive to oil and buildup, so sometimes I have to use sulfate shampoo. Also polyquats and silicone don't work for me at all! They just make my hair limp and it looses its wave pattern completely.

The downside of CG is that since my hair is so sensitive to buildup, I haven't been able to make it work with just conditioner washing. I CO-wash most of the time, but occasionally I really need to use regular sulfate-laden shampoo. Also because I live and work by the sea in a windy city in Northern Europe, I can't live without hairspray... The strong, moist seawind would destroy all the wave definition in a second without it. I know a lot of people disagree with using hairspray, but if it is the only thing that works in your climate then I say go for it!

My own routine is like this:
    1. I shower in the evening, do final rinse in the shower with my head upside down.
    2. I work leave-in conditioner into the soaking hair, work a light hair gel or mousse all over and finally scrunch some extra heavier gel to the ends (all this while my haid flipped over).
    3. Then I put my hair into a plop and leave it there for 30-45 minutes.
    4. After taking the plop out I diffuse with the pixie method and let it be in the gel cast for the rest of the night.
    5. I then put my hair into a pineapple when I go to bed, and in the morning take the pineapply out, sort the hair a bit and spray some hair spray before leaving for work.
    This method doesn't give you super definition, more of a natural look, but I prefer doing all the work in the evening rather than in the morning, but it works without the pineapple part too. Instead you just scrunch out the gel cast, hair spray, and go.

The products I prefer are: Tresemme Naturals for CO-washing, Nature's Gate's conditioner as leave-in and also for CO-wash, Beautiful Curls' Shea Butter Curl Defining Gel for Wavy to Curly (love this stuff!) for base gel OR my own concoction http://www.naturallycurly.com/recipes/view/351-vegan-chamomile-mint-styling-gel-styling-gel/ , for the stronger gel I use the more conventional Wella Shockwave Natural Definition gel (I'm not sure if this is CG approved or not, but I try to work with what I got already, I'm not made of money! :laughing8:).

Nowadays I suffer from the same curse: I too secretly want my hair to be curlier. I often feel that wavy isn't a real category of hair texture, it's just nasty frizz that falls in a dark hole between proper curls and sleek straight hair... It's hard to embrace wavy hair when most of the material aimed for curlies feature huge voluminous defined ringlets and huge poofs.

But I think we all have to battle to accept our outer and inner features in a world that bombards us 24/7 with idealised images - both in the conventional beauty business (and magazines/programs aimed at selling us products) and sometimes in the material aimed at curlies... But let's brighten up and keep the fire burning for wavies, we just need to create our own routines that take inspiration from the curly world and add our own tweaks to suit our hairs unique needs! :)

Hopefully this gave some ideas :) Sorry my English isn't very good, I'm still learning.
    2A fine wavy hair. Hates silicones, polyquats and too much oil, loves protein and glycerine.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am also 2a back to 2c front: get most clumping/ frizz control from plenty of leave in conditioner (especially if rich in fatty alcohols), gel helps but mousse does absolutely nothing.

If you use Facebook there is a Wavy Hair Community, most of us are following the Curly Girl method - some using sulphate free shampoo, some conditioner only washing. Products from Sweet Curls Elixirs on Etsy (flaxseed gel, okra gel, flax curl cream so fits well with your more natural philosophy) are popular there and can be customised to suit your hair type.

Hydrolysed protein (gelatin is all natural) is a great ingredient for curl boosting and body/ volume.

Some wavies and curlies have been raving about the Curlformers bonnet attachment for hairdryers for multi tasking - doing make up or emailing whilst hair is drying.

HTH!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • deloris22deloris22 Posts: 50Registered Users
    What's the wavy hair group on facebook? I think I'm 2c

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
    New to the CG Method.
    Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Conditioner: SM Restorative Conditioner
    Styler: FSG, SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk, Olive Oil eco styler gel.
    Multiple personality curls on my head!
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    deloris22 wrote: »
    What's the wavy hair group on facebook? I think I'm 2c

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App

It's called wavy hair community. There are instructions on how to join when you first visit the group's page.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • lucy_georgelucy_george Posts: 4Registered Users
    Im also a 2b and I was my hair the night before and let it air dry and then in the morning I put in a lightweight gel to refresh the curls, it takes about 5 minutes and doesn't make it wet or crispy :)
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    Hi Luv! First of all, welcome. Second, sounds like our hair is very similar. I have a similar problem if I'm rushing. It takes time for things to clump in my wavy hair. I can't force it - I have slow hair. :-(. Like the other posters, I think that slowing down the diffusing, using gel, or even washing at night and letting the hair finish drying in a pineapple helps clump all the hair. But if you like your current routine, then instead of adding coconut oil, I'd try scrunching in more mousse after the hair is dry. I don't have good luck adding product after my hair dries but I have done this before and it helped. I scrunched the mousse in lightly in the spots that looked messy and then didn't touch my hair. In about 10 minutes the mousse dried and my hair stayed clumped.

Here's my take on CG - I think the methods are helpful for wavies, but don't expect a miraculous change in your natural curl pattern once you've corrected any damage you may have. My hair is healthier and I like the feeling that it is more natural. I can co wash with conditioner, rinse, and let it air dry and I get loose waves. Who knew? I thought my hair was straight and frizzy before now. And I love that I can make my hair very curly using some of the CG techniques. But if I want curls and ringlets, it is as time consuming as conventional styling, if not more so in my case (and hardly natural). The scrunching, gelling, plopping, pineappleing, DTs, diffusing, etc. take longer than I'd like, but I don't wash my hair as often so that's a trade off. And my hair is fairly long now so that adds to the work. So CG is useful because wavies have options. You can put in the time and the work to push your hair to the far edge of what it does naturally without heat or silicones or you can give it a quick wash and accept it as it is. I like my hair either way and I do both. Today I'm going for curly so it's a major production. ;-).
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • mollyjmollyj Posts: 7Registered Users
    Here's my take on CG - I think the methods are helpful for wavies, but don't expect a miraculous change in your natural curl pattern once you've corrected any damage you may have. My hair is healthier and I like the feeling that it is more natural. I can co wash with conditioner, rinse, and let it air dry and I get loose waves. Who knew? I thought my hair was straight and frizzy before now. And I love that I can make my hair very curly using some of the CG techniques. But if I want curls and ringlets, it is as time consuming as conventional styling, if not more so in my case (and hardly natural). The scrunching, gelling, plopping, pineappleing, DTs, diffusing, etc. take longer than I'd like, but I don't wash my hair as often so that's a trade off. And my hair is fairly long now so that adds to the work. So CG is useful because wavies have options. You can put in the time and the work to push your hair to the far edge of what it does naturally without heat or silicones or you can give it a quick wash and accept it as it is. I like my hair either way and I do both. Today I'm going for curly so it's a major production. ;-).

I totally agree with this. I always say I have great hair and I really love it...so long as I don't have expectations. Sometimes my hair is really loose waves and sometimes I can coax more curl out. But if I plan for "Friday" to be a super curly day I might be disappointed. As long as I go with the flow I love my hair. For weird hair days I curl my hair, either random pieces or all over larger waves. I seem to be able to heat style occasionally just fine but ymmv.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file