We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

I need some advice please

wavygirlygirlwavygirlygirl Posts: 2Registered Users
I've been trying the cg method for a few months now. I can tell my hair is alot healthier (used to blow dry & straighten at least 4-5 times a week..now I never blow dry and only straighten twice a month), but it NEVER looks good when it comes to styling. Sometimes I just want to give up & go back to straightening regularly because those are the only times I feel like my hair looks halfway decent..but I also did alot of damage by drying & straightening. When I first started cg method my hair looked pretty good and ever since it has went down hill. I know it has got to be something I'm doing wrong. I don't know if it's the products I'm using, or the way I'm using them, or both.

I think my hair is 2a on the sides, 2b in the back, low porosity, low density, I'm not sure if it is fine or just thin on the length, definitely thin on top, shoulder length.

I wash it about 3 times a week. When I cowash it with (Tresemme Naturals Nourshing Moisture Conditioner) and then leave some in my hair, my hair is greasy looking on top and the rest is either weighed down looking or frizzy. I've tried rinsing all cond. out then it is poofy and frizzy.To try to solve the weighed downess then next time I wash my hair I use a low poo (Loreal Evercreme Intense Nourishing Shampoo) & same conditioner except this time I rinse all cond. out then my hair is just a frizzy mess. I've tried leaving some cond. in after low poo then it's just weighed down again. I rinse with not hot but very warm water. Only comb hair never brush. Never deep cond. because I feel like regular conditioning weighs down my hair enough. It is thin on top and I don't know how to get volume when wearing it naturally. Sometimes I switch up my conditioner to Suave Coconut for the protein..not sure if that is helping or hurting. Oh and I use Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Mousee as my styling product.

I'd love to use better products because I know they are out there, just can't afford them. Do you ladies have any tips for product recommendations? I really want to stick with cg method because I know my hair has potential, just don't know how to achieve it.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks so much!

Comments

• xarielxariel Posts: 31Registered Users
    If you've been damaging your hair with heat it's more likely high porosity. With high porosity and fine strands your hair will likely need lots of protein. One that's recommended highly here is IAGirl's gelatin PT, which is a homemade treatment (recipe here). If that works well, I'd up the protein in your daily routine.

To combat the oily scalp and frizzy ends, something you might try with the TN conditioner is co-washing, rinsing that out completely, then applying it as a rinse-out – but ONLY on the ends. One great way I've seen that detailed is you put your hair in a ponytail, then only put the conditioner on that tail, avoiding the scalp. Then rinse that out and apply less as a leave-in on the ends again; alternatively, do a baptism rinse of the conditioner. Since you've been CG a few months with minimal heat styling, your roots won't be as damaged and thus will need to be treated differently.

Additionally, there's a lot of products you can use whilst still being on a budget. Waterlily716 has a few videos (here, here, and here) on some great drugstore product options, and I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions. Consider too that some products will last you a long time because you need less, making the overall cost less in the long run despite the initial cost.

Do you have hard water? That can cause buildup that wrecks havoc on hair if not clarified.

Also, make sure you consider dew points when choosing the products left in your hair (read about dew points here and here).
    Mod CG since '09. CG as of 02/27/14.
    Medium texture, normal-low porosity, normal elasticity and density
    Products: VO5 KL (co-wash), GVPCB (RO/DT), SN (RO/LI), KCCC/BRHG/AVG (stylers)
    Techniques: Mod-IceQueen, Plopping (FST), Octopus clip roots, SOTC; Double pineapple
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Posts: 138Registered Users
    I, personally, can't cowash with Tresemme Naturals Nourshing Moisture Conditioner. It's way too heavy of a conditioner. I use the Suave Naturals line, usually the coconut.

I don't know a lot of people who really like the Loreal shampoos either. I used one for about half a bottle and then threw it away... I'm loving Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo right now.

Styling upside down can help add volume, then the hair isn't so weighed down on the top of the head.

I only ever comb my hair when it's soaking wet and filled with conditioner to get out the tangles in the shower. Even then, most of the time, I just use my fingers to do through it. You may want to try to eliminate combing all together.

If you want to try a hard hold gel, LA looks is a good one and pretty inexpensive. I usually get the yellow one.

I second trying IAgirl's protein treatment. It's awesome!
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • wavygirlygirlwavygirlygirl Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks so much girls for the replies! I'm going to try your tips. Nope, don't have hard water.
  • xarielxariel Posts: 31Registered Users
    You're welcome. :) Another word of advice: change things slowly. If you change products too frequently or in bulk you won't know which ones are working and which ones aren't. Even changing your technique can provide drastically different results.

And keep us updated on how things work out for you!
    Mod CG since '09. CG as of 02/27/14.
    Medium texture, normal-low porosity, normal elasticity and density
    Products: VO5 KL (co-wash), GVPCB (RO/DT), SN (RO/LI), KCCC/BRHG/AVG (stylers)
    Techniques: Mod-IceQueen, Plopping (FST), Octopus clip roots, SOTC; Double pineapple

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file