2c hair growing upwards?

abscessedabscessed Registered Users Posts: 10
Hi I am a wavy haired mom with not much experience with my curly haired daughter (she's a 2C)
Please do try and explain to me why her hair is growing like an afro and looks poofy and big instead of getting weighed down and showing it's length as it's growing longer.
A few more details
Her hair length is about 2 inches if I straighten the curl
Hair is medium thickness
High density
Easily Frizzy
And some of her hair looks broken and burnt in patches (I have no clue why or maybe it's just a patch of a different hair type?)
Currently my hair routine is deep conditioning with organic coconut oil followed by SM kids shampoo and sometimes a conditioner if she lets me. Apart from that I def put in mixed Chicks (his mix- leave in conditioner) whilst her hair is damp and never dry comb it

Any help will be awesome
I'm new to the board too and I'm loving reading all the responses and questions
You'll seem like such a sweet bunch of moms xx

Comments

• BruchildaBruchilda Registered Users Posts: 126
    abscessed wrote: »
    Her hair length is about 2 inches if I straighten the curl

High density
    Easily Frizzy

I think you have your answer above.
    2 inces of straight hair could be from 1 to 1,5 inches of curly hair. It s waaaaaay too short to be weighted down and show any length.
    Especially if she has high density hair. Even shoulder length hair is difficult to keep it in a bun if its very high density.

Almost any hair type uness it's straight to slightly wavy and fine could look poofy at this length
    She could probably be a 3a or 3b. Unless she has 5 inches AT LEAST you can't be sure

Wait before she has at least 5inches of hair (curly)
  • LuuuuucyLuuuuucy Registered Users Posts: 146
    It might be dry. If she isn't getting conditioner after shampoo, it's going to dry out. Maybe you could switch to a conditioning cleanser or maybe even a cowash. But I also agree that it won't lay down at that length. Do you have alights of the broken/burnt spots? I'm having trouble picturing that.
    Curly work in progress
    2C with some 3A if all the stars align
    Low porosity, medium to low density and fine
    No sulfates since 2009
    CG since 2013

In my stash:
    Shampoos and conditioners- Tresemme Naturals Low Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Aloe, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave Ins- Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers- KCCC, AG Recoil, KY Lubricant (yup), SM Curl Milk
    Gels- Ecostyler, Biosilk RHG
    Mousse- Devacurl Uplifting Foam, Suave Captivating Curls
  • JimipeJimipe Registered Users Posts: 276
    I would also say it's short. I'm around a 2C/3A depending on weather etc and My hair that is like 4 inches long straight can stand straight up on it's own. I need to get the length below my ears to have any effect of weighing down to reduce volume.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • abscessedabscessed Registered Users Posts: 10
    Thanks everyone! I've added a picture of her hair so you can guide me incase I'm wrong about it being 2C in the first place!
    Will wait until it's longer and hopefully won't need to deal with upward poofy hair
  • JimipeJimipe Registered Users Posts: 276
    How have you handled her hair here? Any brushing/combing, any of those on dry hair?
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • nikkibeansnikkibeans Registered Users Posts: 26 Curl Neophyte
    A friend of mine has a little girl with patches exactly as you described - broken and burnt-looking. It turns out even at that young age she's a finger twirler (I think it's a comfort thing as she does it a lot when she's sucking her thumb). She constantly tugs and twirls her hair and it is breaking off. Is there any chance your daughter is doing something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3B ❤ low-med porosity ❤ med density ❤ SL (growing out) ❤

Modified CG as of Oct. 2013
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    RO: Matrix Biolage Advanced Fiberstrong Conditioner
    Product: SheaMoisture C&H Smoothie, TRESemme Mega Firm Control Gel
    2nd Day Product: Matrix Total Results Moisture Cure Spray, Curls Curl Creme Brule
    Jimipe wrote: »
    How have you handled her hair here? Any brushing/combing, any of those on dry hair?

in the full length picture or the one that is a closeup of her hair?
    nikkibeans wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a little girl with patches exactly as you described - broken and burnt-looking. It turns out even at that young age she's a finger twirler (I think it's a comfort thing as she does it a lot when she's sucking her thumb). She constantly tugs and twirls her hair and it is breaking off. Is there any chance your daughter is doing something similar?

yesss you are so right! shes a thumb sucker too! and constantly tugging at her hair! :crybaby: oh no! what do i do? shes only 16 months so i can't really reason with her yet!
  • nikkibeansnikkibeans Registered Users Posts: 26 Curl Neophyte
    Well I don't have kiddos yet and not sure what my friend did besides wait for her to grow out of it. Maybe try giving her something else to hold onto? Although I'm sure she has plenty of toys and things ☺️ Hopefully there are some more parents reading that can relate!

3B ❤ low-med porosity ❤ med density ❤ SL (growing out) ❤

Modified CG as of Oct. 2013
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    RO: Matrix Biolage Advanced Fiberstrong Conditioner
    Product: SheaMoisture C&H Smoothie, TRESemme Mega Firm Control Gel
    2nd Day Product: Matrix Total Results Moisture Cure Spray, Curls Curl Creme Brule
    Jimipe wrote: »

No I never dry brush!
    I brush it when it's damp usually
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Don't brush curly hair at all ideally, it separates clumped hairs into individual hairs - ie. it causes frizz or pouf. Also research suggests hairs loop around the bristles causing (mechanical) damage and breakage. Wet or damp hair is more vulnerable, curly hair is more vulnerable, well conditioned hair is somewhat protected.

Ideally finger comb or very wide tooth comb to detangle, only when hair is slathered in a slippy conditioner.

Twirling absolutely causes mechanical damage, you might try a silk/ satin sleep cap or wide headband to get that section of hair away from little fingers. It is a good habit to break early, I'm still a twirler in my forties and some perceive it as being nervous when that is not so.

If your daughter won't permit rinse out conditioner consider conditioner-only washing instead of shampoo. Then follow with a leave in conditioner rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols/ cationic surfactants). I'd be surprised if short virgin baby hair needs deep treating with coconut oil.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Thank you so much! I've started brushing with the tangle teezer when it's saturated with deep conditioner and I already see a difference!
    She keeps scratching her scalp viciously whenever she gets sweaty or hot though...is that a common problem with thick curly girlies? Because I have thick hair too but it's straight and I never itch. Pedeatrician says she's just hot it's not fungal or anything. Bleh...any thoughts?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file