GoosefootPrints Analysis

1235»

Comments

• FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    Henna is not predictable in that different strands take it differently (but that is one of the reasons it tends to look more natural too). They often suggest doing a test on a few strands of shed hair first with henna. In theory you could do that for color, but perhaps try putting on some product too and seeing if it just sits on top (but dunno if that is really an accurate way to measure). On the long haired forum I saw a thread where many people stated it had the same effects I found… hair became super lo po and products greased it up. The only way around it for me was to dye my hair with hydrogen peroxide which made the porosity high. Another thing you can try if unsure of henna is cassia or amla. Both are neutral when used alone and not as strong or permanent as henna but may give you some idea (and they fade in 3-4 weeks). I usually mixed only a drop of henna with a bunch of amla in my mixes so that the henna would distribute but only be used sparingly. As far as dryness, you can put coconut oil in your mix, or coconut milk works brilliantly as well (the henna washes out more easily this way). These help to counteract the drying effect henna can have. But the henna dryness is just temporary (unlike porosity change, which is permanent until hair grows out or is dyed).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    Okay. I tried collecting hair today. I detangled with my tangle teaser and the hairs were in a giant tangled ball. Then I finger detangled and only got like 5 hairs and I kept loosing them in the shower. Ahhhh. Can someone please give advice and tips!
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users
    For me, it took a bit while to collect enough amount of hair for the analysis. I collected the strands as I was low-pooing. Any hair strands that caught on my hands, I carefully stuck them to the bathroom wall while washing. I kept doing it until after I rinse out my RO. Then, I lined and gathered them, bulb side up, held that end tight and ran the bunch underneath the tap. Make sure you're in no hurry while doing this.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I just carefully cut hair instead of collecting it. I'm too impatient. And I was worried about getting stretched out hair.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yep it took me about 3 seconds to get my hair. Snip snip, done. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • FlemishCurvesFlemishCurves Posts: 52Registered Users
    I sent my samples yesterday. I'm so curious. I was pleasantly surprised about how little it cost to send my parcel. I can't wait to find out what I'm doing wrong with my hair. Let's hope I'm doing something wrong :)

Sent from my Ice-Phone Mini using CurlTalk App
    3A/3B Corkicelli

What a hairdresser once said 'behind my back': Her curls are like owning a Ferrari but not knowing how to drive it.

What I should have answered: Me letting you cut my hair is like owning a Ferrari but letting a 15-year-old who takes autoshop do the maintenance.
    Fimu wrote: »
    Yay I got my analysis! She recieved my samples whithin a week, but the analysis may take up to two weeks.
    • Thickness: mostly coarse hair. I expected this a bit, since my hair feels so rough and rigid.
    • Elasticity: normal when dry, but low when wet, so she advised me to rather detangle when dry.
    • Porosity: low at roots, but very high at ends which I think is mostly caused by sun and past heat damage. Henna didn't decrease my porosity.
    • Kinking: the minority of my hairs only; gradual and both macro and micro. But I think the kinkings are most concentrated at my crown and napes as I obiviously feel bumps there.
    • Protein tolerance: hydrolyzed keratin or collagen when needed. Not too often since I have coarse hair.
    • Acid tolerance: my hair doesn't react that much, but citric acid suits better to me than ACV.

Take-home messages for me: keep on using oil pre-wash treatments on my porous and kinky parts, incorporate more hydration and lubrication, starting to use film-forming humectants, and doing deep conditioning treatments. I.e. conditioners rich in (penetrating) oils are the best for me.

WHOAAA! We are hair twins!!! I got my results back today and I think I have more of a headache then before! I was just getting on here to reach out for help and I see we are hair twins basically.

Medium-coarse
    Low porosity at roots and High porosity at ends

I always knew my hair didnt like protein but the whole "if your hair is color treated it cant be protein sensitive" well BAM yes it can! She stated that coarse hair doesnt really tolerate protein well.

Heres my conundrum. My hair is high porosity and needs moisture. My hair doesnt tolerate protein well at all. Any suggestions what products or proteins I should try?

Second..adding more moisture. My hair tends to not like oils either, or at least oils Ive tried. Any suggestions on an oil and when to use. Before, after, as a sealer, wet dry hair. Ive tried coconut, jojoba, olive, and grapeseed. Out of all of those it handles grapeseed best, although it gets sticky and built up from it.

Currently Im conditioner styling only but my hair gets dry through out the day. I need to find a way to keep moisture there.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users
    I sent my samples yesterday. I'm so curious. I was pleasantly surprised about how little it cost to send my parcel. I can't wait to find out what I'm doing wrong with my hair. Let's hope I'm doing something wrong :)

I'm so curious what you'll find out, since we're hair twins. :) Maybe whatever advice she has for you would work for me too.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    greencup13 wrote: »
    Heres my conundrum. My hair is high porosity and needs moisture. My hair doesnt tolerate protein well at all. Any suggestions what products or proteins I should try?

Second..adding more moisture. My hair tends to not like oils either, or at least oils Ive tried. Any suggestions on an oil and when to use. Before, after, as a sealer, wet dry hair. Ive tried coconut, jojoba, olive, and grapeseed. Out of all of those it handles grapeseed best, although it gets sticky and built up from it.

Currently Im conditioner styling only but my hair gets dry through out the day. I need to find a way to keep moisture there.

You can try hydrolyzed keratin and collagen. I'm going to do protein rinse-outs of 5 - 10 mins again with hydrolyzed keratin.
    Since I use Dutch products on ground only, it's difficult for me to recommend products for others.

Currently I also style conditioner only. I'm going to try the previous formulation of Yes To Tomatoes, because the new YTCarrots has glycerin and less oils :(.
    During summer I didn't have to seal my hair directly with wash-n-go, because of moderate humidity and dews. Now that the humidity is high but the dews are still moderate, I seal my hair with sunflower oil. If my hair feels non-smooth between the washes, I once apply a small amount of coconut oil at my ends and napes before sleeping.
    I also just tried sweet almond oil, but it didn't feel that lubricating. What I also want to try again is mineral oil directly after wash-n-go styling.

But soon I want to make flaxseed gel to see if that improves my hold and hydration.

During spring and summer I wore my hair quite often loose, but now I wear it up with a big jaw clip to reduce tangling, flyaways and dehydration.

But I'm also still searching for the right lubricating and moisturizing method.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,106Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    greencup -- try curl junkie curl rehab for moisture without protein. while it is a deep treatment it also works very well as a leave in, and mixes well with other products. and it's on sale at curl mart now. :-)

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb wrote: »
    greencup -- try curl junkie curl rehab for moisture without protein. while it is a deep treatment it also works very well as a leave in, and mixes well with other products. and it's on sale at curl mart now. :-)

That's my current DT but DT always leave my hair straw like
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,106Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    interesting. i use cj deep fix as my deep treatment, it has a small amount of protein in it but my hair loves it, leaves my hair very soft.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    No it's CJ curl rehab. Protein free in talking about. I did use deep fix before and I had an allergy to it. Burned my eyes and made me itchy. Also knotted my hair
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,266Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I wonder if it's the shea butter that your hair isn't liking? It's the 3rd ingredient (after water), so there's a lot of it in there.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

I wonder if it's the shea butter that your hair isn't liking? It's the 3rd ingredient (after water), so there's a lot of it in there.

Hmmm I wonder. My hair never likes Shea moisture products either.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Novice
    I sent my samples in this week. Can't wait to get my analysis.
    Mostly 2b but ranges a-c front to back
    Low/med density, coarse, high porosity
    Lo poo: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB
    Leave In: As I Am LI
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, LA Looks gel
    Wow my analysis came back very quickly! I was utterly shocked to learn that my hair is course! Holy crap I almost just don't believe that. Well, the samples I sent were course, and I think they were a good representation of my hair, so I guess I will adjust my way of thinking about my hair in this sense. I've just been told my entire life that I have fine and thin hair. Crazy.
    Ok and otherwise, everything else was as expected. Low porosity at roots, high porosity at mid and end lengths. Lots of heat damage from midway down. Normal elasticity when dry, low elasticity when wet. Recommended oil treatments and only periodic protein if needed and if my hair likes it. No kinking.
    naturecat wrote: »

I'm so curious what you'll find out, since we're hair twins. :) Maybe whatever advice she has for you would work for me too.

I haven't heard anything yet (shipping from Europe takes quite a while) but when I do I will definitely share my results with you.

3A/3B Corkicelli

What a hairdresser once said 'behind my back': Her curls are like owning a Ferrari but not knowing how to drive it.

What I should have answered: Me letting you cut my hair is like owning a Ferrari but letting a 15-year-old who takes autoshop do the maintenance.
    ttoosday wrote: »
    Wow my analysis came back very quickly! I was utterly shocked to learn that my hair is course! Holy crap I almost just don't believe that. Well, the samples I sent were course, and I think they were a good representation of my hair, so I guess I will adjust my way of thinking about my hair in this sense. I've just been told my entire life that I have fine and thin hair. Crazy.
    Ok and otherwise, everything else was as expected. Low porosity at roots, high porosity at mid and end lengths. Lots of heat damage from midway down. Normal elasticity when dry, low elasticity when wet. Recommended oil treatments and only periodic protein if needed and if my hair likes it. No kinking.

I have similar hair properties to yours, but since my hair is short, I barely have any high porosity strands. It took me around 2 months to figure out products that might work for my hair. Out of the shortlist and the ones I've tried, the products in my siggy work quite great. You might like mousses instead of gels. :)
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Nice! I approaching the month or maybe 6 week mark I think. So far it's a struggle still. I have heard a few people recommend a mousse so I might try it to see.
    Just got a message from Wendy, my hair sample arrived. I'll get my analysis December 15th or earlier. *squee*

3A/3B Corkicelli

So my analysis came back today. Apparently I have moderately coarse hair (40% medium and 60% coarse), normal porosity and normal elasticity (wet and dry).

I've been using mainly the right products just not enough of them and not in the right ways. Which is pretty good news because that means I have a lot of stuff already. I need to work on flexibility, lubrication, softness and hydration. Lmao that sounded dirty.

So I need to up my oil treatments and deep treatments and use even more conditioner (and look for one with more slip potentially). Oh and I need to start learning about butters, which I always felt hesitant to get anywhere near. Well, not anymore :)

I'm excited about this. I feel like I finally have the tools to really go on a search for the right products/routine for my hair. I'm in the process of reviewing every single product I own to see if it's still fits in my future routine.
    3A/3B Corkicelli

I've been using mainly the right products just not enough of them and not in the right ways. Which is pretty good news because that means I have a lot of stuff already. I need to work on flexibility, lubrication, softness and hydration. Lmao that sounded dirty.
    LOL darnit you just destroyed it for me! I never thought of those word like that, and now that you mentioned it.......

In my experience, I needed to get to find the tricky balance of cationic surfactants and other kinds of emollients. I finally managed to find one HG conditioner that unfortunately has to be ordered online. Bah.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bumping this old thread because I just got my hair analysis back! I always knew I had some coarse hairs, but honestly thought the majority of mine were probably medium. I was surprised to get the actual breakdown.

Hair strand thickness: Medium-Slightly Coarse
    8% are fine
    32% are medium
    60% are coarse

The range for your hairsʼ width is between 60 and 128 microns. The average width for your hair is 90 microns (slightly coarse).

The “Coarse hair” component of your measured hair is as follows:
    Slightly coarse: 27%
    Moderately coarse: 53%
    Very coarse: 20%

Even though more than half of my hairs are coarse, and of those more than half are moderately coarse, she still categorized my hair overall as "medium-slightly coarse," as the 32% medium hairs brings the average width down. And wow, some hairs at 128 microns means I do have a small amount of VERY coarse hair as well.

Porosity: Low at roots, normal mid-shaft, porous ends
    The roots of your hairs are low porosity. The middle of your hair is normal porosity. The ends of your hair are porous, some hairs have had most of their cuticles eroded away.

Hair elasticity dry: Normal
    Hair elasticity wet: Normal

Like Sixelamy, she recommended an oil pre-wash treatment. As for protein, she said I should avoid most hydrolyzed proteins in my regular-use products, with the exception of very small ones like peptides, amino acids and hydrolized silk. She also suggested film-forming humectants (such as aloe and flaxseed gel) which explains why I've been enjoying the UFDCM so much lately, and cautioned against heavier curl creams unless mixed with a gel or a diluted with water.

My hair priorities are:
    Maintaining hydration between washes and preventing dehydration, managing your scalp, and giving the ends “porous hair care.” Emphasizing lubrication and ingredients to promote flexibility should help your hair feel healthy and define your wave pattern.

My hair did not respond well to soap bars (something I use occasionally to help my scalp issues). The hairs swelled rapidly, raising the cuticle. She suggested I avoid them if possible.

I'm glad to finally know the porosity of my hair, although overwhelmed that I have all 3 levels of porosity in each strand! For those of you with a similar porosity breakdown as mine, how do you account for this in your routines?

I'm glad I did this and look forward to trying her suggestions, and moving forward now now knowing that I have mostly coarse hair!
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 504Registered Users Curl Novice
    curlync wrote: »
    Bumping this old thread because I just got my hair analysis back! I always knew I had some coarse hairs, but honestly thought the majority of mine were probably medium. I was surprised to get the actual breakdown.

Hair strand thickness: Medium-Slightly Coarse
    8% are fine
    32% are medium
    60% are coarse

The range for your hairsʼ width is between 60 and 128 microns. The average width for your hair is 90 microns (slightly coarse).

The “Coarse hair” component of your measured hair is as follows:
    Slightly coarse: 27%
    Moderately coarse: 53%
    Very coarse: 20%

Even though more than half of my hairs are coarse, and of those more than half are moderately coarse, she still categorized my hair overall as "medium-slightly coarse," as the 32% medium hairs brings the average width down. And wow, some hairs at 128 microns means I do have a small amount of VERY coarse hair as well.

Porosity: Low at roots, normal mid-shaft, porous ends
    The roots of your hairs are low porosity. The middle of your hair is normal porosity. The ends of your hair are porous, some hairs have had most of their cuticles eroded away.

Hair elasticity dry: Normal
    Hair elasticity wet: Normal

Like Sixelamy, she recommended an oil pre-wash treatment. As for protein, she said I should avoid most hydrolyzed proteins in my regular-use products, with the exception of very small ones like peptides, amino acids and hydrolized silk. She also suggested film-forming humectants (such as aloe and flaxseed gel) which explains why I've been enjoying the UFDCM so much lately, and cautioned against heavier curl creams unless mixed with a gel or a diluted with water.

My hair priorities are:
    Maintaining hydration between washes and preventing dehydration, managing your scalp, and giving the ends “porous hair care.” Emphasizing lubrication and ingredients to promote flexibility should help your hair feel healthy and define your wave pattern.

My hair did not respond well to soap bars (something I use occasionally to help my scalp issues). The hairs swelled rapidly, raising the cuticle. She suggested I avoid them if possible.

I'm glad to finally know the porosity of my hair, although overwhelmed that I have all 3 levels of porosity in each strand! For those of you with a similar porosity breakdown as mine, how do you account for this in your routines?

I'm glad I did this and look forward to trying her suggestions, and moving forward now now knowing that I have mostly coarse hair!

This is interesting. I haven't finished my gathering of hair yet for analysis lol but I kind of do things like your recommendations. I am assuming at this point that my hair is low porosity at the roots and high at the midpoint to the ends. I oil seal from the midpoint down, I'll be excited to see my results to see if I'm anywhere near correct ha ha.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curl junkie Argan and olive oil conditioner, soultanicals leave in
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, spiralicious, as I am curling jelly
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- CJ Repair Me
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    curlync wrote: »
    For those of you with a similar porosity breakdown as mine, how do you account for this in your routines?

Cool.

I suspect my hair is low porosity roots and high porosity mid-shaft to ends because I'm growing out lightened hair. One way to account for the difference is to use a leave-in only from mid-shaft down, adding in extra LI at the ends and even sealing it with an oil before adding gel.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
1235»

Leave a Comment