We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

GoosefootPrints Analysis

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Hmm, this is definitely a thought. I only left mine in for about 15 minutes... I was going to leave it in overnight but realized it wouldn't be a good idea with surrounding events. I'll be curious if it comes out easier with an overnight or prolonged soak. Going to do another one this weekend.

I always do it overnight just because I feel like I get great results from that.

I could've sworn I read somewhere that it's best to leave it on for at least half an hour to get all of the benefits, but since I can't seem to find the article anywhere I must've imagined it!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    The published research demonstrating penetration and reduces protein loss is (an extended) overnight to twenty four hours then sulphate shampoo'd out, intended to mimic common real life practices. Modest application of heat increased penetration even at twenty four hours.

It seems likely penetration of the lauric acid is slow and continuous. I'm not aware of studies on anything as short as half an hour.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • yestheyrerealyestheyrereal Posts: 54Registered Users
    The two times I've done the coconut oil pre-poo so far, I've just put it in my higher porosity, drier sections, on the crown/canopy, around my face and my ends. I don't ever put it on my scalp. Then I bun up my hair and lo poo it out in the morning. It's worked great on those drier areas, especially the bits of hair in front of my ears. I've been getting awesome perfect spirals there and I've never gotten that before.
    2c/3a
    Low-high porosity, fine/medium, high density thick hair, highlighted
    Modified CG since 12/2013
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's what I was going to say. I concentrate on the mid shaft down. The porous part of my hair. I have no need to go to the crown.
    I can't imagine anyone not benefitting from CO on the last inch or so.
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This thread has me seriously considering this analysis. I did the LCLF one a year or so ago, but I did feel like the results were kind of generic.

On the coconut oil topic - I've been using this pre-poo method lately and really like it. I've read what Firefox said before, and so leave it on at least over night, but sometimes longer. The last time I did this I put the oil in my hair at night and then braided it before bed, left the braid in all day the next day and then washed my hair with a sulfate poo that night before bed (I've stopped using low-poos as they don't work well for me), so the oil had about 24 hours to really penetrate. The coconut oil really seems to protect my hair from getting dried out/stripped but the sulfate poo does a better job of clarifying my fine hair and getting rid of build up. I don't do this every time I wash (I normally cowash) but I do this about once every other week and usually follow with a DT.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
    So here I have coconut oiled and ok pineapple and sleep on it. Wash in the a.m. You don't have to slather it in by the barrel. I wonder if people are soaking their hair in it?

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1394859713.171026.jpg
  • MeeBeeMeeBee Posts: 128Registered Users
    It's just not for everyone...even Shea Moisture took forever to get out of my hair when I was using the conditioner. That was also an absolute disaster for me. Same with the Shine and Hold Mist. My hair just grabs onto everything so I have to be careful. Now I know.

Amy - yeah I had considered doing it before but was too scared then I saw you were recommended to do it so I figured it would be alright since I have high porosity hair (I think). But it's alright. My hair looked good, got some really pretty spirally curls at the root and stuff. It was just too much.
    2C/3A, high porosity, low density, fine-medium

Low Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Clarify: Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying, KCCC
    RO/CoWash: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: AG re:coil, AG Beach Bomb, Mop Top Light Hold Anti-Frizz Gel, LA Looks Xtreme Sport
    PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatin treatment (awesome!)

Hair LOVES proteins!
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    I decided it needed a little bit more.
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1394860576.773623.jpg

Yeah I definitely used more than that. I will try using much less next time. Thanks, Chupie, that was very helpful!

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    No, I didn't use more than that. But I did go a bit higher because I was straightening regularly until four months ago. I'll try going less up next time, I like what it did to my tips, just so hard to wash out...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • Zippytatiana9Zippytatiana9 Posts: 134Registered Users
    I just received my analysis and this is what Wendy said:

Strand Thickness: 46% fine, 35% medium, 19% coarse(I thought more of my hair would be fine so I'm surprised)
    Elasticity: normal when dry(27%), low when wet(28%)
    Porosity: low-normal at roots, normal midshaft, and porous to extremely porous at the ends
    Kinking: mostly gradual to macro kinking w/ some abrupt kinking
    She mentioned my roots and ends swelled in water but mostly my ends.

She tested citric acids on my hair and suggested I use 1/16th teaspoon per 1.5 to 2 cups of water. She also said my hair tends to be dehydrated at the ends and only the last 1/2 - 1/4 inch of my hair is extremely porous, so I'm glad it's only that small amount instead of more!

She also said my hair could benefit and use more protein. She didn't list specific proteins because she said I can benefit from a wide range of proteins. I did the ApHogee 2 minute reconstructor exactly one week ago on Saturday would it be safe to do it again Sunday?

This analysis has opened my eyes to many things now and I'm so excited about it! Any tips/suggestions would be great now :)
    Started my journey September 8th, 20138)
    High Density, 4A Curls, Fine-Medium Strands, Normal- Low elasticity, Low/normal porosity
    Current Hair-length: APL (straight)
    Hair-length Goal: AP length when curly
    Still trying to figure out my curly hair needs & regimen
    "Confidence Is Beautiful":love5:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Doing coconut oil again. This time overnight since I have nothing to do tomorrow. Didn't put any on my roots this time. My scalp got a bit itchy last time.... but I mixed in a couple drops of neem oil, so not sure which was the culprit. I just did my scalp last time, because I heard it did good things for hair growth. Maybe I'll do my scalp alone before a wash and the soaks overnight. I use enough to coat my hair so it's a little wet looking and every strand is covered.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Skin does not need the fatty acids found in most natural oils, some can feed microbes living in the scalp and upset the natural balance.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Coconut oil does wonders for my skin. :)
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My scalp loves coconut oil. When I pre-poo I do a scalp massage with it and all is awesome
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • MeeBeeMeeBee Posts: 128Registered Users
    I do use coconut oil on my face and skin and it's been a miracle for me. I've had chronic acne since I was 12 and it's actually clearing it up and my skin glows, doesn't produce too much oil or sebum anymore. And I use it for cooking lol. The best. Maybe I'll try a prepoo again one day on just the ends and now that I have a better clarifier than KCCC.
    2C/3A, high porosity, low density, fine-medium

Low Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Clarify: Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying, KCCC
    RO/CoWash: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: AG re:coil, AG Beach Bomb, Mop Top Light Hold Anti-Frizz Gel, LA Looks Xtreme Sport
    PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatin treatment (awesome!)

Hair LOVES proteins!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    I also have oily, acne prone skin and I benefit from using coconut and olive oils. My hair lives those too. It is only castor oil that gives ne problems. I also love grapeseed, almond and apricot kernel oils for skin and hair.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • RisingMoonRisingMoon Posts: 81Registered Users
    Avocado oil is another great oil for skin! I haven't tried it in my hair but I used to use coconut, sweet almond, and jojoba oils on my hair once in a blue moon before shampooing back when I wore my hair straight.
    2C waves with a little 3A thrown in for fun, medium density, on the course side hair (IMO--will have stylist confirm at some point.) Still trying to work on porosity- have characteristics of both high and low :thumbdown:

Polyquats are terrible. I seems to be able to tolerate butters and oils in the most sparing amounts as long as I low-poo frequently.
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    I just received my results from LCLF and while the information was very informative I think I want to give Goosefootprints a try for a more thorough analysis.

LCLF did give some good clarification on ingredients such as silicones, proteins and emollients and which ones I should avoid.

I did find out that my hair texture is fine and I've been using products that are probably too heavy for my fine hair. Looks like I could use more protein in my hair care routine as well :tongue:.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users
    I just got my analysis back, my samples took the scenic route getting to her. The analysis is great, I highly recommend it. It makes a lot of things make more sense.
    My strand thickness is medium (not all, just above half, but the fine hair isn't very fine and coarse hair isn't very coarse) and this is mostly what I expected. My porosity is low from root to mid shaft and medium from mid shaft to the ends, so even some parts that have been dyed with permanent dye are still low porosity, and my ends which have been dyed many times are normal, and this explains so much, even though as I learned more about porosity I was starting to think I was low. My elasticity is normal dry and low when wet. I have slight kinking. The information she gives about techniques and ingredients to look for is also great. I think this will save me money in the long run.
    wavypen wrote: »
    I just got my analysis back, my samples took the scenic route getting to her. The analysis is great, I highly recommend it. It makes a lot of things make more sense.
    My strand thickness is medium (not all, just above half, but the fine hair isn't very fine and coarse hair isn't very coarse) and this is mostly what I expected. My porosity is low from root to mid shaft and medium from mid shaft to the ends, so even some parts that have been dyed with permanent dye are still low porosity, and my ends which have been dyed many times are normal, and this explains so much, even though as I learned more about porosity I was starting to think I was low. My elasticity is normal dry and low when wet. I have slight kinking. The information she gives about techniques and ingredients to look for is also great. I think this will save me money in the long run.

It has already starting saving me money. Now I know what types of products I should be using, and how to use them. Some of the conditioners I have are really meant for deep conditioning, even though they aren't marketed that way. Since using them in this way, I have found new loves for products that I originally disliked, and am actually using up my stash now. Now I've bought a couple conditioners that I know will do well with my hair and are. Also, I'm loving the pre-poo/overnight oil treatments. I would never have tried them had I not gotten this analysis done, thinking I was low porosity and my hair hated oils. I feel like my product junkie tendencies have disappeared, now that I know what to try and what won't work. I'm glad you loved your analysis too!
  • RisingMoonRisingMoon Posts: 81Registered Users
    I really need to get one done but I haven't found the time to collect the hairs.
    2C waves with a little 3A thrown in for fun, medium density, on the course side hair (IMO--will have stylist confirm at some point.) Still trying to work on porosity- have characteristics of both high and low :thumbdown:

Polyquats are terrible. I seems to be able to tolerate butters and oils in the most sparing amounts as long as I low-poo frequently.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,344Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Got mine today! Wow! Lots of reading to do!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    Just had a chance to read over my old LCLF analysis from 2010 (13 pages) and the Goosefootprint analysis (19 pages).
    My hair sounds basically the same in both, tho my hair is longer now so it has more sun and wind damage which is described in the new analysis and is making it more porous on the ends. My hair is also grayer now so it has more coarse hairs now than it did 4 years ago.
    The old analysis has pages of product recommendations. The new analysis has pages of scientific descriptions of ingredients.
    Both analyses were informative and useful.
    I've never been a stickler for ingredients so I doubt I will spend any more time looking at ingredients than I used too, except for the basic things to stay away from (sulfates and silicones). But I will use more oils to help the porous ends of my hair and will buy some protein treatments which I haven't used in years.
    I did enjoy the pictures of my hair, the various levels of porosity, the various colors and thicknesses. And I had no idea my hair was kinky which is one of the reasons it gets so tangled now that it's longer.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    Got mine today! Wow! Lots of reading to do!

I really, really want to do this and had every intention of getting it done this month, but she's not taking anymore for the month. Before I do, what all does the analysis tell you. I have read it tells you texture, porosity, ect... but my main problem I want fixed at the moment is frizz, would knowing all the info from the analysis help me find ways to keep my frizz tamed?
    The initial questionnaire does have a section for you to tell her about any particular concerns you have. My concerns were with tangling and losing so much hair and she addressed those concerns in the analysis.
    It tells you your properties, and beneficial ingredients for your hair type. She goes into some detail, which is nice. Like jeep said, she asks you what you want out of the analysis and she will address it in pretty good detail. It is suuuuuper helpful, I can't recommend it enough. My hair has been great ever since I got mine back and followed some of her suggestions. Specifically I was confused about conditioning/deep conditioning and having it weigh me down and I listed some of my products. Turns out some conditioners were really deep conditioners that I was using as leave ins that were leaving me mushy and flat. So using the conditioners in a much different way has helped so much.
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 622Registered Users
    I have to say my LCLF analysis was dead on for me. I did receive an extensive report with product recommendations. I was CG about 1 year before I did the analysis so I basically had figured out what my hair liked and disliked. If I would have done the analysis sooner I would have saved myself lots of bad hair days!

I am curious to see how my hair is now, but since I just highlighted my hair it may be different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
    Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
    Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    I just went on Etsy and saw the message from Wendy stating that she isn't taking any more orders this month :sad1:. I've been waiting for a wash day so I could gather my hair strands, something told me to go ahead and pay and get the questionnaire together while I waited.....
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file