Hair getting used to products?

ClarissasCurlsClarissasCurls Posts: 144Registered Users
My hair just stops responding to routines. Whether it be after a month or after 2 days of doing it. I dont understand. Its like it will look great at first then after awhile it just looks like crap. I can never just have this set routine that works time after time.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• WhisperesWhisperes Posts: 28Registered Users
    Although part of my routine is pretty much set in stone (protein treatment, deep conditioning, detangler, low-poo, etc), I found that my hair has a mind of its own and that I need to rethink my routine a little bit day by day depending on different factors.From my experience, there's a lot of factors that play a part in how your hair turns out and responds to the products that you are or are not using.

The weather is one of the main factors. For instance, there's days where you're going to need more or less moisture than what you're normally getting from your treatments based on how damp / dry the air is. The temperature also factors in. That's why I, depending on the weather, use a sealant, or rub more/less oil into my scalp & ends.

Some other things that can factor in are the amount of water your consuming: water moisturizes your hair (and the rest of your body ;-) ) from the inside out, how healthily you're eating and how much stress you are experiencing.

I hope this helps a little!
    xox Marieke // Whisperes

2c (on top) & 3b high density, low porosity, fine, protein craving curls

Pre-poo & sealant: HPO Happy Scalp, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Co-wash: Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner
    Protein Treatment & Deep Conditioner: CJ Repair Me!, Spiral Solutions Protein Treatment
    Rinse-out: CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner
    Detangler: KCKT
    Styling: KCSS, Mop Top Curly Custard
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm sorry, but the hair we can see is dead. Water intake has no effect on it.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • ClarissasCurlsClarissasCurls Posts: 144Registered Users
    Whisperes wrote: »
    Although part of my routine is pretty much set in stone (protein treatment, deep conditioning, detangler, low-poo, etc), I found that my hair has a mind of its own and that I need to rethink my routine a little bit day by day depending on different factors.From my experience, there's a lot of factors that play a part in how your hair turns out and responds to the products that you are or are not using.

The weather is one of the main factors. For instance, there's days where you're going to need more or less moisture than what you're normally getting from your treatments based on how damp / dry the air is. The temperature also factors in. That's why I, depending on the weather, use a sealant, or rub more/less oil into my scalp & ends.

Some other things that can factor in are the amount of water your consuming: water moisturizes your hair (and the rest of your body ;-) ) from the inside out, how healthily you're eating and how much stress you are experiencing.

I hope this helps a little!

Thank you! I never go outside anymore...so its all getting used to it inside. But I heard weather can affect it regardless. (Wasnt sure how, but thats what I was told.) My curls are never the same though, so I think I should pay more attention to how it feels ect...even though its still gonna dry and look however it wants, maybe I should pay attention for how much leave in or gel I should use on each specific day. Blah. Idk.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
    I'm sorry, but the hair we can see is dead. Water intake has no effect on it.

Very true, but hair roots aren't dead, right? I mean, I was under the impression that if you drink too little water, your roots may suffer from an inadequate water level. The roots suck up the water and hydrate the tress from the inside out, so that's how drinking too little water can be part of the cause (not the entire cause!) of hydration deficiency.

Sure, in comparison to most people with straight hair we curlies -usually- have littler hydration coming from the inside out because of the texture of our hair, and the (lack of) oil production on our scalp, but it seems to me drinking your water does help in hydrating your body (and hair.) from the inside.

I could be perfectly mistaken though, so please do correct me if I am getting my information mixed up here. :)
    xox Marieke // Whisperes

Protein Treatment & Deep Conditioner: CJ Repair Me!, Spiral Solutions Protein Treatment
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair roots don't work like plant roots. They don't suck up water to be delivered to the hair like some sort of hair sap, bringing water and nutrients . They are simply the emerging hairs which have been extruded from the hair follicles.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't see how the water would get from the roots to the ends of the hair, other than it wicking down but it would be evaporating en route if it was dry weather.

Texture affects how well sebum slides down the outside of the hair, but that isn't directly moisture (= water) sebum is an occlusive with secondary emollient properties. Low porosity hair loses water at a slower rate than higher porosity, and many western Caucasian women do lighten or permanently dye their hair.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I'm glad that you both helped prove my impressions to be wrong. My previous hairdresser was the one who insisted that drinking water is good for your hair, and certain (questionable) sources backed that idea up so that's how I ended up with the wrong "conviction" where it pertains whether or not water intake has any influence on one's hair health.

It happens, and I suppose that although it apparently does not have a direct influence on the hair, it is still a good idea to drink plenty of water for one's overall health. :)
    xox Marieke // Whisperes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file