Hair type confusion. 3c or 4c hair?

curlybeycurlybey Posts: 30Registered Users
Hey everyone. So I did the BC in January and my hair is 2 months old already, although I relaxed when I BC'd, 95 % of my hair currently is almost transitioned to natural measuring an inch and half already. My curls are from the roots, has a spiral shape when stretched and forms a loopy S shape when stretched too.

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I8262 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some of the longer curls do look like they're 3C but if I were you I wouldn't rule out you having a mixture. I have a mix of both those curls- well I feel like I'm somewhere between 3C and 4A curls most days.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • curlybeycurlybey Posts: 30Registered Users
    Thank you. I'm thinking 3c too but when it's dry it feels like 4c. I guess my back hair is mostly 3c while I'm still figuring out what the rest is. I wouldn't rule out having two hair types.

lolo918 wrote: »
    Some of the longer curls do look like they're 3C but if I were you I wouldn't rule out you having a mixture. I have a mix of both those curls- well I feel like I'm somewhere between 3C and 4A curls most days.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlybey wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm thinking 3c too but when it's dry it feels like 4c. I guess my back hair is mostly 3c while I'm still figuring out what the rest is. I wouldn't rule out having two hair types.

Have you tried to figure out your hair properties yet?

Even though your hair is short it's a good idea to keep an eye on the other things like density and strand size as it will help you know how to treat your hair. More information here - Curly Hair Tips, Styles & Products - NaturallyCurly
    Blueblood wrote: »

Have you tried to figure out your hair properties yet?

Even though your hair is short it's a good idea to keep an eye on the other things like density and strand size as it will help you know how to treat your hair. More information here - Curly Hair Tips, Styles & Products - NaturallyCurly

Thank you but I guess I need someone to examine my hair for me. I look at it and think it's this but then everything gets confusing. I felt a strand and it felt silky so that means fine hair. My hair has low density at the sides and back and high density in the middle. I don't know about width but a single strand looks thick sort of, rubber like sort of. The curls clump at the roots everytime and when I stretch them they form a spiral shape. I still don't know my hair type. I've taken all the quizzes Google has to offer; lol. I'm tired. Should I post more pictures of my hair? Closer pictures of the curls and how they look when stretched?

You can have different hair types and hair densities on your head.

If your hair is currently short don't stress about it.

Most of the things you are doing are likely to work fine. As it grows longer then be prepared to change ONE thing at a time if what you are doing or using isn't working.
    Blueblood is right- I've changed my mind about curl type it feels like a thousand times over and knowing my type hasn't really helped my haircare routine. Sometimes even from day to day I am not sure if I'm right and feel that I'm just somewhere in between a true 3C and a true 4A.

My routines and results have never been better after coming here to Curltalk and figuring out my hair properties, though. Some of the reasons I've changed my mind so much is that as I've figured out my properties I've retained moisture better and as I've retained moisture better my curls look different, and feel different. I've really been able to know if a product will work just by looking at the ingredient list, and have hair that I like more often. Lastly, I also think that I've been able to retain length better because of my properties.
    CG since November 2013.

Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Blueblood wrote: »
    You can have different hair types and hair densities on your head.

If your hair is currently short don't stress about it.

Most of the things you are doing are likely to work fine. As it grows longer then be prepared to change ONE thing at a time if what you are doing or using isn't working.

Okay I guess I'd stick to the curly girl and LOC method. Thank you so much.
    Blueblood is right- I've changed my mind about curl type it feels like a thousand times over and knowing my type hasn't really helped my haircare routine. Sometimes even from day to day I am not sure if I'm right and feel that I'm just somewhere in between a true 3C and a true 4A.

My routines and results have never been better after coming here to Curltalk and figuring out my hair properties, though. Some of the reasons I've changed my mind so much is that as I've figured out my properties I've retained moisture better and as I've retained moisture better my curls look different, and feel different. I've really been able to know if a product will work just by looking at the ingredient list, and have hair that I like more often. Lastly, I also think that I've been able to retain length better because of my properties.

That's great, I'm happy for you dear. I'm still studying my hair. I did loosened a 3 days old twist out because of wash day and my hair was just breaking while conditioning. It wasn't up to a hair ball but I just hate seeing my hair go away like that, lol. I've also figured out that my hair is better to comb for twist outs while dry. I'm on a journey for healthy hair and also to gain length this month, so I'm trying to manipulate my hair less and use indian hemp hair growth cream, it worked for me when I was relaxed.
    I did loosen*
    That's great, I'm happy for you dear. I'm still studying my hair. I did loosened a 3 days old twist out because of wash day and my hair was just breaking while conditioning. It wasn't up to a hair ball but I just hate seeing my hair go away like that, lol. I've also figured out that my hair is better to comb for twist outs while dry. I'm on a journey for healthy hair and also to gain length this month, so I'm trying to manipulate my hair less and use indian hemp hair growth cream, it worked for me when I was relaxed.

That can be a very frustrating thing to happen- and I'm very sorry that it happened. I just had to cut breakage off around the end of November (about 2-4 inches!). That's what I meant when I said my properties helped me retain b/c I'm about back to where I was length wise now that I've changed a few things like adding pre-poo's, finger detangling, avoiding oils, and for me (amazingly) not trying to do protective styles. However, you're on the right track with trying to figure out your hair. =)

I actually used a comb on my dry hair for the first time this past week when I did a roller set to stretch my hair out. Combing dry, tightly curly hair that isn't stretched can actually do more harm than good. You may have better long-term results with dampening your hair first with water or using something that gives slip like water mixed with oil or glycerin, or a detangling product.

I also shed a lot when I need to: a) do a protein treatment, b) desperately do a deep treatment, and/or c) get my ends trimmed. On top of that though, I shed in the shower. To make sure it's not breakage I plaster the hairs to the shower wall, then inspect them for root balls on one end. If it has a whitish root ball on one end, it's a shed hair and that is perfectly normal. If it doesn't then that is breakage, and you should be worried. I also look for shorter hairs- if it's close to my length it's usually just a shed hair. If It's about half or less of my length it's breakage, but I haven't seen any of those in awhile. I think losing 50-100 hairs a day is considered to be a normal amount of shedding- so if you haven't touched your hair in 3 days that could be up to 300 hairs at one time which will look like a lot even if it's not.
    CG since November 2013.

That can be a very frustrating thing to happen- and I'm very sorry that it happened. I just had to cut breakage off around the end of November (about 2-4 inches!). That's what I meant when I said my properties helped me retain b/c I'm about back to where I was length wise now that I've changed a few things like adding pre-poo's, finger detangling, avoiding oils, and for me (amazingly) not trying to do protective styles. However, you're on the right track with trying to figure out your hair. =)

I actually used a comb on my dry hair for the first time this past week when I did a roller set to stretch my hair out. Combing dry, tightly curly hair that isn't stretched can actually do more harm than good. You may have better long-term results with dampening your hair first with water or using something that gives slip like water mixed with oil or glycerin, or a detangling product.

I also shed a lot when I need to: a) do a protein treatment, b) desperately do a deep treatment, and/or c) get my ends trimmed. On top of that though, I shed in the shower. To make sure it's not breakage I plaster the hairs to the shower wall, then inspect them for root balls on one end. If it has a whitish root ball on one end, it's a shed hair and that is perfectly normal. If it doesn't then that is breakage, and you should be worried. I also look for shorter hairs- if it's close to my length it's usually just a shed hair. If It's about half or less of my length it's breakage, but I haven't seen any of those in awhile. I think losing 50-100 hairs a day is considered to be a normal amount of shedding- so if you haven't touched your hair in 3 days that could be up to 300 hairs at one time which will look like a lot even if it's not.

Wow! Sorry about your breakage. I hate hair breakage and shedding lol even if it's normal. Thanks a lot. I know about shed hair, lol you won't believe this but after I washed with my moisturizing conditioner, I did a diy protein deep condition treatment and while I was rinsing that off, I practically counted every hair strand that fell off my hair. All hair breakage! It was less than 10 though so I felt good. At least that worked. I just tried twist outs on dry hair and I'd compare how much hair I shed on wet twist outs and dry twist outs. I'd take them off nextweek Thursday as I need my hair to stretch well, it stretched well after 3 days so I hope a week does more harm than good.
    I'm actually on a "comb your hair once a week or less if possible" routine so that's why I'm going to wear twist outs throughout this month as that's my protective style, my hair hates combs even wide tooth combs so I'm hoping when my hair is about 5 - 6 inches, I'd have to change finger detangling with combing but I hope not. My hair is too fine. My hair right not is an inch and half at the crown/middle and an inch everywhere else. I did the inversion method for 4 days or thereabout, couldn't complete it because of chronic headache but I plan on doing it next month. Another thing I've noticed is that my hair doesn't really like oils, it just sits on my hair strands, maybe I put too much that day but ever since I've put little EVOO everyday, just little.

I'm looking forward to buying jojoba oil, rosemary oil and tea tree oil, maybe mixing them together and spritizing on my hair because I suffer from itchy dry scalp, it's not chronic yet though. What do you suggest?
    Oh and when my hair is wet with my LOC, it's difficult for me to do the twist outs because my hair is just an inch and half, the slip makes it difficult to twist the hair that's why I prefer dry twist outs.
    I don't do LOC anymore- my hair is just blah with it but even without it my hair is super slippery and hard to twist while wet. I don't really use oils at all anymore for styling- so don't feel like you have to use them to get healthy hair. It may seem that everywhere you look indicates that once you get to the 4's or if you are black you need them, but I'm an example of someone who has done better without them in my styling routines (pre-poos are a totally different story). It took a long time for me to break the habit though as I was too shy to ask questions like you- my hair is fine textured also and gets weighed down/gunky very easily. I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of wash and go's if I were you- at this point your hair is very short and they would still be a sort of low manipulation style. You could have wash day, then just spritz down when needed until wash day. Or you could wash as much as everyday with no problems as long as you aren't using shampoo every day- it could even be as simple as a water rinse.

I also completely understand what you're saying now about dry twisting. What I do for any style I want to do on wash day is wrap my hair in a t-shirt straight out of the shower, and leave until my hair is more damp then start styling. I've found that my hair sets better, and the styles come out better no matter what.

As for the combing- I meant in general combing of dry curls with nothing to help it "slip" through your hair can cause mechanical damage and thereby breakage, so this might be somewhere to take extra caution. Fine hair tends to be fickle and can need more than your normal "gentle" handling to help it thrive.

I found that putting sprigs of rosemary from my plant and letting it infuse into my water spritz bottle helped my itchy scalp I suffered from when I wasn't following the curly girl method. After switching to that routine, I have only suffered itchy scalp when I need to take my allergy medicine. Anytime the weather changes, and as I get older I need to take my meds almost year round. At one point I did use an old hair dye bottle filled half with water and half with apple cider vinegar to target my scalp- that felt wonderful for itchiness until my allergy meds kicked in.
    CG since November 2013.

Agree with lolo918 about doing LOC and using oils for styling.

Just because you are Black doesn't mean your hair needs lots of oil in it.

While you do need conditioners whose main ingredient is water and contain things like fatty alcohols you don't neccessarily need loads of oil and grease.

If you have low density hair putting lots of oil or grease in it will mean you have to wash it more often so your hair isn't weighed down.

In my case if I have lots of oil or too much oily product in it - things stylists like doing - it runs down my face and neck giving me spots. On one occasion I've found it on my back.

Like the other curlies on the board have reported if I go to a hairdresser I often end up washing my hair soon afterwards and styling it myself.

Funny thing is all the hairdressers I've used know I have low density fine hair but still haven't managed to understand I don't need as much product.

One of the reasons Black posters didn't tend to come on here and say I don't use oils for styling, I don't oil my scalp, I wash x times per week etc is because you got told you are wrong. This is one of the reasons I stopped using this forum in the early 2000s as everyone was so focused on hair typing they didn't notice peoples' hair within that curl type varied.

It still in 2014 confuses people that Black hair varies and that ingredients and methods that work for them don't work for others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file