We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Ugghhh shampoo with cones

BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
This is just a vent, so warning you in advance. After deciding to give the cg method another chance, last night I was going to do a final sulfate shampoo then condition with the Devacurl One Condition as it is the only conditioner I have without cones. Since I am a product junkie and haven't cleaned out my cabinet in a few days, I was looking through shampoos to decide which one to use. Do you believe that EVERY shampoo I own has cones in it??? Well, with the exception of my husband's shampoo. I cannot believe that! I looked through three different shampoos (Organix Milk, Bioterra Ultra Moisturizing and Herbal Essences Moisture). Uggghhh that was so frustrating. So what did I do you ask? Well I shampooed with my hubby's shampoo of course. Now, are the shampoo makers just trying to sabotage our efforts to go cg???? I am kidding, but it does make you wonder why they put cones in shampoo? Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    They put silicones and other conditioning agents in shampoos largely to disguise the fact that the surfactants used are so stripping. They are the same family as in dish soap and industrial cleaning products.

Why are those harsh surfactants used? They are cheap ingredients, foam well and clean efficiently. Nothing to do with being beneficial to skin or hair, in fact they can damage both.

Personally I dropped sulphates and other anionics from all my skin and dental care products. Happier and healthier lips, cuticles, gums as well as hair. Do note I have sensitive eczematous skin so may get more dramatic results than others.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    Yea definitely to disguise how drying they are.

Though I get a little confused about cones and sulfate shampoos. Would the cones in the shampoo be broken down by the sulfates in the shampoo? :confused:
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Research does show ingredients in shampoo can deposit or penetrate, I don't pretend to understand the technical details. I suspect some of it is about the feeling of 'slip' or emollience during washing, how they feel on your hands since hair itself obviously can't sense anything.

A clarifying shampoo can feel really tangly and 'dry' whilst you are using it, to me any commercial shampoo lather has a 'drier'' feeling than the lather produced when co-washing. Just shampoo'd hair isn't dry in the sense of lacking water since its dripping wet, its lacking the slip of sebum or the emollients usually deposited by conditioner.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • anonymous_153995anonymous_153995 Posts: 271Banned Users
    Bamagirl wrote: »
    This is just a vent, so warning you in advance. After deciding to give the cg method another chance, last night I was going to do a final sulfate shampoo then condition with the Devacurl One Condition as it is the only conditioner I have without cones. Since I am a product junkie and haven't cleaned out my cabinet in a few days, I was looking through shampoos to decide which one to use. Do you believe that EVERY shampoo I own has cones in it??? Well, with the exception of my husband's shampoo. I cannot believe that! I looked through three different shampoos (Organix Milk, Bioterra Ultra Moisturizing and Herbal Essences Moisture). Uggghhh that was so frustrating. So what did I do you ask? Well I shampooed with my hubby's shampoo of course. Now, are the shampoo makers just trying to sabotage our efforts to go cg???? I am kidding, but it does make you wonder why they put cones in shampoo? Ok, I feel better now. Thanks for reading!

Omg!! you said organix milk shampoo has cones? really? i use the coconut milk shampoo and conditioner for my 4c curls. what shampoo would you recommend then?
  • BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    [/QUOTE]

Omg!! you said organix milk shampoo has cones? really? i use the coconut milk shampoo and conditioner for my 4c curls. what shampoo would you recommend then?[/QUOTE]

I don't know what I'm going to user yet, but am leaning toward Johnsons baby shampoo? When I get home I will double check the organix conditioner but I think it had cones too.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App
  • BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    Ok I looked at the bottles again and the Organix nourishing coconut milk shampoo has Dimethicone and Amodimethicone listed as the 10th and 11th ingredient. The conditioner has Dimethicone as the 12th ingredient. They may be so far down on the list that it isn't as bad, I don't know as I am new to all this. I just seen the -cone and was frustrated. Now looking at both of the bottles, one says organix (shampoo) and the conditioner say ogx (formerly organix) so I don't know if that matters or not.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    Bamagirl wrote: »
    Ok I looked at the bottles again and the Organix nourishing coconut milk shampoo has Dimethicone and Amodimethicone listed as the 10th and 11th ingredient. The conditioner has Dimethicone as the 12th ingredient. They may be so far down on the list that it isn't as bad, I don't know as I am new to all this. I just seen the -cone and was frustrated. Now looking at both of the bottles, one says organix (shampoo) and the conditioner say ogx (formerly organix) so I don't know if that matters or not.

I think they changed their name to Ogx because there was a lawsuit about misrepresentation of their company (not being really organic and all that). Don't know if they also altered the formulas.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • anonymous_153995anonymous_153995 Posts: 271Banned Users
    Yeah i looked at my bottles after reading this thread and noticed too. I will keep using until I find something better. I do need a good leave in conditioner tho. suggestions? 4c hair type
  • Jen_WavyJen_Wavy Posts: 5Registered Users
    I'm really liking the Argan Shampoo from Renpure. The texture feels a little strange in my hair but the end results are nice. The Conditioner contains amodimethicone but not the shampoo. The shampoo contains Silicone Quaternium-17 but I think that is CG friendly? My hair looks so nice with the conditioner as well, and I am surprised because usually my hair doesn't respond well to silicones unless they are modified water soluble ones in gels and the like. Yes to Cucumbers is another sulfate free and cone free shampoo ( the newer Color Protection version) It's the only one of their shampoos I could find that didn't list Sodium Coco-Sulfate.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,269Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Jen_Wavy wrote: »
    I'm really liking the Argan Shampoo from Renpure. The texture feels a little strange in my hair but the end results are nice. The Conditioner contains amodimethicone but not the shampoo. The shampoo contains Silicone Quaternium-17 but I think that is CG friendly? My hair looks so nice with the conditioner as well, and I am surprised because usually my hair doesn't respond well to silicones unless they are modified water soluble ones in gels and the like. Yes to Cucumbers is another sulfate free and cone free shampoo ( the newer Color Protection version) It's the only one of their shampoos I could find that didn't list Sodium Coco-Sulfate.

Silicone Quaternium-17 is water soluble.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file