Hair different lengths, am I the only one?

ClarissasCurlsClarissasCurls Posts: 144Registered Users
I JUST got my hair cut...because it was super uneven curly. It was straight two days ago when it was cut...I just washed it yesterday and I styled it...and today I looked and again, its uneven. Not as bad but still its not straight across at all. Is it just a curly girl thing? My hair is very 3b. Im mixed and I have spiral curls all over. Anybody else have this issue? Idk why it bothers me so much..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you got a regular cut, and your stylist did not take into account your curls or curl shrinkage at all, yes this will happen. That's why a lot of curlies get Deva cuts, they are cut dry and curl by curl to shape your hair in it's natural state. If you got a Deva cut and it's uneven, then either your hair doesn't curl the same way every time or you had a not so great stylist. If it really bothers you, you can cut the longer pieces yourself to make it even.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • ClarissasCurlsClarissasCurls Posts: 144Registered Users
    It was cut dry...and it was perfectly straight across, but my hair does curl differently depending on the day and products. Some days its less curly on the bottom then others so it makes sense. It just irritates me..lol

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, my hair is slightly different lengths. I got it cut in October to snip of all my straight ends. It was a wet cut, so obviously the hairdresser didn't / couldn't take shrinkage into account.

The result is it being slightly shorter in the back. But, I don't think it's noticeable. I seem to be the only one who can see the difference, so it doesn't bother me that much. I think with curly hair it's easier to get away with 'uneven' cuts, because it's not as obvious.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    It was cut dry...and it was perfectly straight across, but my hair does curl differently depending on the day and products. Some days its less curly on the bottom then others so it makes sense. It just irritates me..lol

Yeah, it is annoying! During my previous cut, my curls were a bit more stretched out and the cut looked great, until I switched products and then my hair seemed to be a lot shorter on the right side. So frustrating! I ended up taking the scissors to my own hair and tried to even it out.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Yeah, it is annoying! During my previous cut, my curls were a bit more stretched out and the cut looked great, until I switched products and then my hair seemed to be a lot shorter on the right side. So frustrating! I ended up taking the scissors to my own hair and tried to even it out.

I did that in October straight after I got mine cut! Just with two 'odd' clumps that actually were a lot longer. I didn't have my hairdressing scissors back then though, so I had to snip those two pieces off with normal scissors. Oops :P
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have 3B hair as well, or at least I like to think so, and am biracial. My hair will always be uneven. The hair stylist could cut it perfectly even and my curls will not listen. They do what they want to do. I like to think of it as natural layering. Lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

I did that in October straight after I got mine cut! Just with two 'odd' clumps that actually were a lot longer. I didn't have my hairdressing scissors back then though, so I had to snip those two pieces off with normal scissors. Oops :P

I don't have proper scissors, I just use my tiny cross stitch scissors lol.
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have that problem between my left and right sides- they will be even at time of haircut. Then next thing I know my left side looks different. It's hard to resist the temptation of trying to even it out. I've figured out that my left side grows faster than my right, and it has looser curls. It's the worst right behind my ears so my cut looks super weird.

Right now I've been trimming my own hair but I've dealt with this forever. I have to take a lot of things back I've said in private about stylists who I though had botched my cuts now that I'm realizing this. :(

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    I have 3B hair as well, or at least I like to think so, and am biracial. My hair will always be uneven. The hair stylist could cut it perfectly even and my curls will not listen. They do what they want to do. I like to think of it as natural layering. Lol.

Lol I wish I could do that. Its just allll over the place. But its been this way my whole life...so I gotta get used to it. Thanks to you ladies for not making me feel alone!

• mysty211mysty211 Posts: 15Registered Users
    I usually get my hair cut while it's straightened after blow drying my cuts turn out better this way and not uneven. My friend who has similar curly hair cuts it while it's straight to. Thats the only time I put heat on the hair. I've never got my hair cut while curly I don't really trust anyone to cut it while it's curly. My results have been fine while it's cut straight it's easier to see split ends.
    3b/c
    Ill just have to do that from now on. :/ mistake was mine. This whole curly thing confuses me. I used to get my hair cut straight....then here they suggest to do it curly....so its just confusing.

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    > I think with curly hair it's easier to get away with 'uneven' cuts, because it's not as obvious.

I find that the opposite is true for me. The "better," as in more precise, a traditional haircut is, the worse it looks once my hair is back in its natural state, and quicker it would begin to look quite ragged. OTOH, when I had it cut by less skilled stylists, they were more easily flummoxed by the insane amount of jump my hair has, and keep going from side to side to side, trying to "even it up."

By comparison, I can go many months between Deva cuts before it starts to look uneven or ragged.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Mine is very obvious. To myself and others when its all pushed to the back. But ive realized through watching more youtube videos and asking curly friends...they almost all have this problem. Im 3b/3c and most that ive asked are the same and they tend to really have that issue. Maybe its just part of what I have to deal with, with my type of hair and curl and texture and spirals. Trying to accept.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file