New here: 3a product rec and overnight plop

MissyLouMissyLou Posts: 7Registered Users
Hi! I'm new to the curly world forums. I byline be my hair to be (mostly) type 3a. I'm currently washing every other day and I usually use Herbal Essences Totally Twisted curl cream and Samy Big Curls cream, then plop overnight. I'd love to try something new and a little more natural. Something with more better frizz fighting properties and something to define my curls a bit better. I wanted to try African Pride's leave in conditioner. I'm planning an amazon order and thought I'd ask here for rec's on something to try.

Also, when I plop in a tshirt, I'm finding the front of my hair is plastered to my head the next morning and it takes some coaxing and water spritzes to get it to not be flat on my head. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• MissyLouMissyLou Posts: 7Registered Users
    😁

• SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you are looking for more frizz-fighting products, the best way to begin nipping that in the bud is to know your hair properties. On the main discussion threads, there are a bunch of stickies that are for beginners. Also, type in google: porosity, texture, density, and elasticity. The two most important are porosity and texture. This can give you idea of what they actually are. After that, you could opt for a hair analysis of many different places. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but some companies that do hair analysis are: Komaza, theres another one but I can't remember the name :(

As far as plopping, I am wondering if maybe you're tightening it too tight? My thought process is, when you put the cloth (or whatever you use to plop) on your head, when tying it could be pushing the hair flat against your head. Then resting all night, the hair will naturally be flat. So maybe try a little looser? Or maybe a quicker plop and not overnight. Update us! :)
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
    Hmmm. I do need to read up more on porosity and such. I quickly read the sticky and *think* I might have average porosity. I didn't actually feel my hair in 4 places like it says to, but my hair seems to respond well to most product.

I have a looser plop on now. I'm using a flour sack towel now and am forced to make it loose because it just doesn't stretch like the tshirts do. Funny thing about these flour sack towels. I bought them to use as flats to cloth diaper my son 2 years ago (he's now 2.5 and potty trained). When we stopped using them, I used them elsewhere around the house, then our daughter came and we started using them for burploths, and now plopping. (Don't worry, they've been washed 50 million times since the diapering) It's just funny that I'd never heard of them before cloth diapering and now I might need more for something else.

I plop at night because it's really the only time I have to shower alone without the toddler and 10 week old yelling for me. And I'm so over using heat on my head. For years I damaged my hair with heat and I'm just done. So for about 3 years I'd just sleep on a wet head and just re wet the funky curls adding more product. Then I heard about plopping. It's nice to plop overnight because my hair can air dry within 30-45 minutes the next morning vs 3-4 hours.

So.....on to tonight's routine. I washed my hair in the shampoo I have. Pantene. Probably the worst stuff I could put on my hair. Then I used the Tresemme Naturals (omg that stuff smells yummy!) and let that sit while I washed my body and face. Rinsed that off then added a bit more to the ends and up to mid shaft, ran water over my head to sop it again. Dry body. Put Kinky Curly leave in on sopping hair. Comb through with this gigantic comb I bought today. Scrunched water out with my deva towel. Used some coconut curl cream I found today that I've seen mentioned here. Defined my curls with it. Then scrunched kinky curly custard into hair. I also parted my hair with the comb which I've never done before. Let it sit while I got dressed and then plopped.

Sorry this is way long!

How did you like your results? And I understand why you would plop at night.

Sent from my Samsung S3*
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
    Ehh. It was just ok.

Here is a before pic. Like right before I jumped in the shower. This is day 2 hair btw.

The next morning after plopping and finishing air drying.

Overall, not a huge change. I'm going to attempt to CO (is that the correct acronym for co-wash?) tonight and mix up the product application. I felt like day 2 (today) hair was a bit heavy (greasy?).

Ok. Never mind the pics. I have to get a few postings under my belt before posting pics.

Haha that's ok. Actually co is for coconut oil lol. But I could understand it being for cowash. So far all we say here is co wash.

Sent from my Samsung S3*
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Plopping in a t-shirt overnight doesn't work well for me because the t-shirt is too heavy and it absorbs too much from my hair. I use flour sack towels that I get from Walmart. If my curls are a little weird, I just spray a little water and then they are ok. Normally it's just a few of the curls in the front.

I have to plop overnight because I have to be at work at 7 am and my hair would not dry until 5 p.m!

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    If you are looking for more frizz-fighting products, the best way to begin nipping that in the bud is to know your hair properties. On the main discussion threads, there are a bunch of stickies that are for beginners. Also, type in google: porosity, texture, density, and elasticity. The two most important are porosity and texture. This can give you idea of what they actually are. After that, you could opt for a hair analysis of many different places. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but some companies that do hair analysis are: Komaza, theres another one but I can't remember the name :(

Another one is Live Curly Live Free.... I'm using them, just sent it out last week. Can't wait to get my results back!
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ok. So I'm thinking I don't like KCCC. Could it be too heavy for my hair? I feel like it pulls my curls straighter and makes my hair look greasy or dirty. I co washed with tresemme naturals and did the KC leave in, then KCCC. Them I finger curled my hair them plopped in a flour sack towel.

I guess I need something with hold but not heavy. And I don't think combing product through with that fat comb is good on my curls. I think I'll stick to just shower combing when I have conditioner in.

I've only ever seen CO used as coconut oil in the cloth diapering world. 😝

SortaRican wrote: »

Another one is Live Curly Live Free.... I'm using them, just sent it out last week. Can't wait to get my results back!

What is Live Curly Live Free? Is it a website or something? Guess I could google.

I guess my next step will be to just use the coconut curl cream instead of the KCCC maybe it's co washing that's not agreeing with my hair. I need to find a CG friendly shampoo if so.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file