How Naturally Curly saved my hair

nikkibeansnikkibeans Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I got my haircut yesterday and I just can't get over how great my curls looked (even before the cut). My hairdresser sincerely complimented them AND it was my first dry cut ever which to me means that my curls are healthy and structured enough to not need a wash before.

This website truly saved my hair. A few years ago I was going for a tousled, "scene", wavy look. In other words, I was destroying my curls with my hands and a curling iron - the first pic below (September 2012) shows how unhealthy it was. I stopped using heat completely last July and in October I really started to educate myself about the best products and the best way to handle my hair. My hair is the curliest and healthiest it's ever been so THANK YOU to everyone on this website that posts reviews and advice and pictures, lends a sympathetic ear when we're having our bad hair days, and advocates for our natural curls. I'm so proud to be a curly girl!

IMG_1263_zps68f03992.jpg photo1_zps1fdc6810.jpg photo2_zpsa0aa0c44.jpg photo4_zps088f633f.jpg

Pic #2 is before my cut yesterday and #3 & 4 are after.
3B ❤ low-med porosity ❤ med density ❤ SL (growing out) ❤

Modified CG as of Oct. 2013
Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
RO: Matrix Biolage Advanced Fiberstrong Conditioner
Product: SheaMoisture C&H Smoothie, TRESemme Mega Firm Control Gel
2nd Day Product: Matrix Total Results Moisture Cure Spray, Curls Curl Creme Brule

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Wow, your hair is so pretty and that's a great curly bob!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair us absolutely gorgeous! So glad you love it!

Sent from my Samsung S3*
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    Oh my god there is such a HUGE difference in your hair! I adore it. (:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Good for you! Your curls are so pretty :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just all kinds of wow here! What products did you find were best for your hair? My hair kinda looks like your before hair only I have more of it(maybe even denser) and it's shorter. I would LOVE to have my hair do that all over my head. As it is, it's VERY inconsistent 2c3a.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow!!!!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SanaodehSanaodeh Posts: 5Registered Users
    Amazing!! Im thinking about cutting mine short too! This is very inspiring to my curls haha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • CURLYanddy_CURLYanddy_ Posts: 198Registered Users
    That is beautiful.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Love it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• nikkibeansnikkibeans Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much everyone ☺️
    caramix3a wrote: »
    Just all kinds of wow here! What products did you find were best for your hair? My hair kinda looks like your before hair only I have more of it(maybe even denser) and it's shorter. I would LOVE to have my hair do that all over my head. As it is, it's VERY inconsistent 2c3a.

When I started out I was on a very tight budget and had to use drugstore products, but I made the best of it. I quickly found the more conditioner I used the better - in the beginning I was using Suave Coconut conditioner as a co-wash and Suave Professionals Rosemary + Mint conditioner as a rinse out and leave in. Alcohol-free gel was also key. Loreal EverStyle had an alcohol-free one but I haven't been able to find it lately.

I was still wetting my hair in the shower every day (I'm trying to get away from that now) but once I learned to STOP TOUCHING my hair it improved quickly. I was constantly tousling, pulling at curls to make them look longer, and trying to untangle knots on dry hair. Such a disaster!

Invest in some good (not necessarily expensive) products and trust in the process. It takes time but you can turn it around. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd Day Product: Matrix Total Results Moisture Cure Spray, Curls Curl Creme Brule
  • okyouwinokyouwin Posts: 157Registered Users
    Your cut is beautiful!
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
  • MkmurdockMkmurdock Posts: 14Registered Users
    Inspiring, thanks.
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "When I started out I was on a very tight budget and had to use drugstore products, but I made the best of it. I quickly found the more conditioner I used the better - in the beginning I was using Suave Coconut conditioner as a co-wash and Suave Professionals Rosemary + Mint conditioner as a rinse out and leave in. Alcohol-free gel was also key. Loreal EverStyle had an alcohol-free one but I haven't been able to find it lately.

I was still wetting my hair in the shower every day (I'm trying to get away from that now) but once I learned to STOP TOUCHING my hair it improved quickly. I was constantly tousling, pulling at curls to make them look longer, and trying to untangle knots on dry hair. Such a disaster!

Invest in some good (not necessarily expensive) products and trust in the process. It takes time but you can turn it around. Good luck!"

I'm not new to Naturally Curly. Actually, I was pretty strict with co-washing and only occasional shampoos for close to 4 years(between 2009 and 2013) and then experimented. My hair did get a little curlier, but nothing like some of the more dramatic before and afters I've seen here. I'm kinda back to a modified CG routine after a foray into sulfates and silicones. Like you, I had to go with drugstore and Sally's. I didn't experiment a whole lot when I started - I just went with the Suave Coconut Conditioner, GVP Conditioning Balm, Renpure Originals Argan Oil Shampoo(no sulfates), and two treatments - GVP Protein Reconstructing and the L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture one. Later, I switched to One 'n Only Hydrating Mask.
    Unlike you, I was never trying to pull out my curls longer - if anything I'm always wanting my hair to be CURLIER and most of all more consistent.
  • nikkibeansnikkibeans Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    caramix3a wrote: »
    I'm not new to Naturally Curly. Actually, I was pretty strict with co-washing and only occasional shampoos for close to 4 years(between 2009 and 2013) and then experimented. My hair did get a little curlier, but nothing like some of the more dramatic before and afters I've seen here. I'm kinda back to a modified CG routine after a foray into sulfates and silicones. Like you, I had to go with drugstore and Sally's. I didn't experiment a whole lot when I started - I just went with the Suave Coconut Conditioner, GVP Conditioning Balm, Renpure Originals Argan Oil Shampoo(no sulfates), and two treatments - GVP Protein Reconstructing and the L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture one. Later, I switched to One 'n Only Hydrating Mask.
    Unlike you, I was never trying to pull out my curls longer - if anything I'm always wanting my hair to be CURLIER and most of all more consistent.

I apologize if I came off as condescending. I didn't know what your experience with CG has been so I wanted to share what my hair had to recover from and what I've been doing.

I don't experiment with products much either unless something REALLY isn't working. I don't have the product junkie fever that a lot of CGs seem to have 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks amazing.
  • CoifedCoilsCoifedCoils Posts: 31Registered Users
    What an amazing transformation!
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I agree with everything said but while being a newbie what helped greatly for me to relax was the book. I just stopped expecting my hair to look perfectly. I stopped expecting from it things and instead I try to work out what it gives me.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it is a huge deal to stop expecting "perfect". Because like body image, hair image seems to be dictated by magazine ads which is filled with hair that goes through a BUNCH of manipulation to look "natural".
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    Yea I always got jealous of how curly hair looked on others and it seems I do have the curls I always wished I had but I made it impossible for them to come on the surface.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014

Leave a Comment