Techniques

Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
IDK about you gals but my 2c's just seem like they can't handle some of the popular hair handling methods posted here. Regular plopping creates too much volume & no matter how careful I am my hair tangles, pineappling pulls out my root curl & my hair frizzes, etc.

I'm wondering if any of you have found alternatives or different ways of handling your hair that allow you to do these things, but just in your own modified way?

I'm really interested in pineappling, and if you've found a "miracle" hair band or holder that doesn't pull your curl out. Or maybe you've discovered a great product to apply to it at night that helps you retain your curls and eliminate frizz. Can you share it here? Maybe it's something simple but it could make all the difference!

I did awhile ago post about a different kind of plop I do that has you putting a t shirt around your neck (sleeves coming down your shoulders and the back of the shirt hanging down your back) and tieing the t shirt up around your head. If you have troubles with your canopy getting tangled up, or your hair doesn't like being flipped upside down (as normal plopping requires) this may work for you.

I've just found being a 2 our hair seems to require special care and sometimes the regular methods of handling curly hair aren't 100% effective for me (us). I've also found that product wise either the top rated products don't work for me, or I have to use them very very sparingly or have found they work better when my hair is dry (as opposed to sopping wet) or vice versa.

What are your thoughts? We need more activity on the 2 board??? Thanks!

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't tend to plop either really, I just scrunch a bunch and then air dry and find that works best for me. Occasionally I'll pixie diffuse a little too though (but that's rare). Lots of people love diffusing and find it gives them a lot of definition and springier curls.

For pineappling I either use an invisibobble or, more often lately, a satin scrunchie. Satin scrunchies don't indent your hair or pull the curl out (at least in my experience).

If pineappling doesn't work for you, maybe just try wearing your hair loose at night (lifting it up so you're not leaning on it) and sleeping on a satin pillow case?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • WeeladyWeelady Posts: 14Registered Users
    I've just started pineappling with my dd and I just use a normal scrunchie and it works brilliantly for her don't have to do anything at all in the morning
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    The only product I use on sopping wet hair is my leave in conditioner while I the shower. When I get out of the shower, I use a flour sack towel to turban my hair. It stays on only long enough for me to get somewhat dressed, at which time my hair is wet, but not dripping.

I use the Scott Musgrave MAP method with products (currently watered down KCCC topped with AVG), diffuse a bit, add more watered down KCCC to bottom half, and diffuse more.

I touch my hair while it is still damp (gasp) and have not experienced an increase in frizz. My barometer of acceptable frizz or what constitutes frizz is probably much lower than most, because I always compare my hair to pre-CG when it was mostly frizz, all the time.

Oh, and I don't do a baptismal rinse or any rinse after my LI; I use so much LI that the few times I comb it out of the shower, I can see the conditioner residue on my comb.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I hear you on this! I can't pineapple either, it pulls any curl or waves right out and it's just a mess. I haven't found anything that works for overnight yet. There are some days that my curl stays pretty well when I sleep, but I can't seem to find a pattern with that - it hasn't happened in a while.

As for plopping - have you tried a loose turban sort of dealie? Those work a lot better for me. I loosely turban my hair in my towel and keep it in there for only about 5 minutes, just enough that it's not dripping. Any longer and I have problems.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You could try multiple smaller pineapples that don't stretch the hair so far. DSCN1024.JPG
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Sorry that came out gargantuan. :oops:
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cristy_amk wrote: »
    IDK about you gals but my 2c's just seem like they can't handle some of the popular hair handling methods posted here. Regular plopping creates too much volume & no matter how careful I am my hair tangles, pineappling pulls out my root curl & my hair frizzes, etc.

I'm wondering if any of you have found alternatives or different ways of handling your hair that allow you to do these things, but just in your own modified way?

I'm really interested in pineappling, and if you've found a "miracle" hair band or holder that doesn't pull your curl out. Or maybe you've discovered a great product to apply to it at night that helps you retain your curls and eliminate frizz. Can you share it here? Maybe it's something simple but it could make all the difference!

I did awhile ago post about a different kind of plop I do that has you putting a t shirt around your neck (sleeves coming down your shoulders and the back of the shirt hanging down your back) and tieing the t shirt up around your head. If you have troubles with your canopy getting tangled up, or your hair doesn't like being flipped upside down (as normal plopping requires) this may work for you.

I've just found being a 2 our hair seems to require special care and sometimes the regular methods of handling curly hair aren't 100% effective for me (us). I've also found that product wise either the top rated products don't work for me, or I have to use them very very sparingly or have found they work better when my hair is dry (as opposed to sopping wet) or vice versa.

What are your thoughts? We need more activity on the 2 board??? Thanks!

The backward plop you posted about worked out great for me, I'm one of those for whom traditional plopping failed. The pineapple also doesn't work for me, I've been adding a slight bit of spray gel to my hair at night lately and the bit of crunch keeps it intact till morning. I've also been applying my leave in to soaking hair, scrunching out water, and applying stylers to damp hair. That last one is a new experiment for me but so far it's working well. What I'd love is an alternative to doing anything upside down, that just seems to make my hair angry. Lol
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
    I need a video of that other way of plopping.
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    chupie wrote: »
    I need a video of that other way of plopping.

I've never posted a video before but I can try!
    Does anyone else feel their hair responds better to products applied to dry, or almost dry hair? I scrunch in LI and and a Gel at night and I notice the next morning my curls lack definition...I know sleeping on it doesn't help but even when I occasionally dry during the day I find If I lightly spritz with water and then reapply product it just seems to work better. I've tried applying more product when it's soaking wet but it still seems to work better on dry or only slightly damp hair.

I think I may try using a ponytail holder that's larger and has more slip to see if that helps my curls. Do you normally let the curls loose on top or do you only pull them through half way and leave a bun on top? My hair is so thick that pineappling just seems to mess up my canopy. Like when I leave it down there is a lot of straight volume on top (very little curl), and I end up having to rewet that area. Well, you know when you rewet the canopy and rearrange that hair it disrupts the curls below and then I'm rewetting and rearranging that hair.

I normally sleep with my hair down. I truly need to reinvest in a silk pillowcase! I lost mine...yep how does that happen???!!!! I think my hair gets roughed up a bit but is pretty easy to water down and restyle. Sometimes I just think maybe there are better ways for us 2c's to do our hair and maybe I could be getting better results if I just modifiy some things just a bit.

LOL I have to kind of laugh when 2c's are referred to as the best of both worlds...supposedly we have great waves or curls or if we choose we can "easily" straighten our hair! I don''t want to speak for others but I have to work to encourage my curl pattern and straightening is a nightmare of super thick hair and stubborn waves that even a hairdresser cannot completely seal.

I'd love to see more suggestions! Whether it's products or techniques. I tend to latch onto HG products here and they end up being more geared towards curlier girls.

I was checking out the Award Winners from the site. Then I realized they are Editor's Choice (are they posting Viewer results too????) It's not that I don't trust editors but they are more likely to have access to more expensive products that are difficult for me to test out without investing money.

Sorry for my long post!
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cristy_amk wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel their hair responds better to products applied to dry, or almost dry hair? I scrunch in LI and and a Gel at night and I notice the next morning my curls lack definition...I know sleeping on it doesn't help but even when I occasionally dry during the day I find If I lightly spritz with water and then reapply product it just seems to work better. I've tried applying more product when it's soaking wet but it still seems to work better on dry or only slightly damp hair.

I think I may try using a ponytail holder that's larger and has more slip to see if that helps my curls. Do you normally let the curls loose on top or do you only pull them through half way and leave a bun on top? My hair is so thick that pineappling just seems to mess up my canopy. Like when I leave it down there is a lot of straight volume on top (very little curl), and I end up having to rewet that area. Well, you know when you rewet the canopy and rearrange that hair it disrupts the curls below and then I'm rewetting and rearranging that hair.

I normally sleep with my hair down. I truly need to reinvest in a silk pillowcase! I lost mine...yep how does that happen???!!!! I think my hair gets roughed up a bit but is pretty easy to water down and restyle. Sometimes I just think maybe there are better ways for us 2c's to do our hair and maybe I could be getting better results if I just modifiy some things just a bit.

LOL I have to kind of laugh when 2c's are referred to as the best of both worlds...supposedly we have great waves or curls or if we choose we can "easily" straighten our hair! I don''t want to speak for others but I have to work to encourage my curl pattern and straightening is a nightmare of super thick hair and stubborn waves that even a hairdresser cannot completely seal.

I'd love to see more suggestions! Whether it's products or techniques. I tend to latch onto HG products here and they end up being more geared towards curlier girls.

I was checking out the Award Winners from the site. Then I realized they are Editor's Choice (are they posting Viewer results too????) It's not that I don't trust editors but they are more likely to have access to more expensive products that are difficult for me to test out without investing money.

Sorry for my long post!

This one has the "viewer's choice" products for 2013: Best of the Best Curly Hair Products of 2013
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Thank you for posting the link! I'm nuts I thought they were breaking it down between 2's, 3's, 4's, etc like the editor's choice showing several catagories for each. I do see they have top wavy product, curly product, etc.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some of that sounds as much like a product issue (matching hair properties, enough leave in conditioner etc) as a technique issue.

The Wavy Hair Community on Facebook is more active than this board.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Some of that sounds as much like a product issue (matching hair properties, enough leave in conditioner etc) as a technique issue.

The Wavy Hair Community on Facebook is more active than this board.

Thanks for letting me know! I had sent a request to them awhile ago but I see now they have rules for joining which I didn't see. LOL each time I'd like Join Group the list would go away and it took me a minute to realize I had to PM one of the admin. I think I forgot to tell them a couple things, but hopefully they know I'm "real" and not spam!
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Christy... I've started doing a lot of experimenting myself in terms of technique.

Like yesterday I brushed my dry hair! Oh noes! It got really poofy. I loled. Then I smoothed Pattern Pusha to the top and raked it in a bit. The result was interesting. It kind of reminded me of the 40's Hollywood 2b waves. What I did like was that it got rid of the clumps.... which made my hair look much fuller and thicker.

Another thing I struggle with is my uneven curl pattern, so sometimes stretching it a bit is great alternative because it evens it all out. The other day I did a wet bun (not very tight, just comfy) and then put the soft-hood on. The result wasn't perfect but has serious potential. I didn't wait long enough to dry all the way... obviously the wet bun part is going to make it dry even more slowly... so I'm thinking of twisting instead of bunning next time and trying again. Anyway, this kind of concept could work really well for 2s, but is rather unexplored.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • flippaciousflippacious Posts: 155Registered Users
    I'm in a slight hair rut and can relate to so much that has been said in this thread! I recently reclassified myself as 2b/c because I'm starting to dislike always trying to style my hair on the curlier side. But if I scrunch and use hard hold gel, I'm definitely a 2c.

I second the recommendation for the invisibobble for plopping. A hairdresser gave me one a year or so ago and that thing was great! My hair is high enough density that I didn't have to twist it, I just wrapped it once around my hair to make a ponytail on top of my head, and it was definitely the best at keeping root curl. But then mine broke, and I had no idea what they were called until now!

My frustration right now is my hair is just so darn dense. There is so much of it, and I have a really low hairline/small forehead, I just feel like my face is overwhelmed by the amount of hair around it.

As I said, I've been trying to figure out new ways to style my hair. I've been trying to get it to have looser waves and, instead of aiming for more curl, just aiming for some definition and frizz control. I've been inspired by this thread and I'm going to try applying my gel to damp hair. Maybe that will help my hair dry faster too! :blob:
    2b/c, high density
    fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity
    loves protein, hates polyquats
    still searching for HGs
    I had to google invisibobble! LOL I didn't know what it was! Very cool looks like a phone cord!

I've tried the brushing out too and trying to recreate wave curls! My hair is so heavy it's kind of hard to hold the curl but I love the look!

I've been experimenting a bit. Washing my hair in the evening an ONLY putting in a leave in and doing my low plop (sorry I need to do a video or pictures! I'm not too good at stuff like that!) As I sit here typing this my hair dried overnight and it's very very soft. I can feel the curls, they just need some definition now. So, I plan on spritzing with water to dampen, applying my gel (probably LA Looks), and then tie a handkerchief around my head to slightly lift away from my face, allow it to air dry, while I do my makeup. Does anyone else use handkerchiefs? I love them! Think of those old photos of your mom or grandma with a scarf tied around their head! Sometimes I think they had the right idea back then with setting their hair after a wash, tieing it in a scarf, and letting it go! Everything old is new again? LOL!
  • LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
    Before consciously going CG, I used to wet my hair using a spray bottle and scrunch in some TIGI Foxy Curls cream. That worked great for me. Going CG, however, meant I drastically changed my techniques, and nothing really worked consistently.

Then a few weeks ago, people suggested I try KCCC on damp instead of wet hair. That just seems to do the trick. Unfortunately I'm out of KCCC and it's not in stock, but I cannot wait to see what happens when I continue to do that.

Maybe damp hair works better for wavies.
    F - LP - HD - L/NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
    I think not depends on hair and weather. Sometimes I do better in really wet. Other things just damp is fine. Hat works in summer is not necessarily so in winter.
  • HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
    Lately I have been putting my LI and gel in when my hair is still soaking/dripping wet. Then I gently squeeze the extra water out and scrunch in some mousse. I can get decent (nothing spectacular) 2nd day hair by putting my hair in a pineapple overnight. When I do it I bend over with my head upside down. I start from the back and gently gather the hair and then put in the hair tie. By doing that the hair on the outside is all my underlayer so it doesn't matter if it gets messed up while I'm sleeping. When I take it down in the am the waves are a bit looser but still look nice. Hope that helps! :)
    Fine/Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity (I think)
    2a(maybe 2b on a good day?)
    Current routine:
    Shampoo: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Conditioner: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
    Mousse: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted
    Lauraimes wrote: »
    Before consciously going CG, I used to wet my hair using a spray bottle and scrunch in some TIGI Foxy Curls cream. That worked great for me. Going CG, however, meant I drastically changed my techniques, and nothing really worked consistently.

Then a few weeks ago, people suggested I try KCCC on damp instead of wet hair. That just seems to do the trick. Unfortunately I'm out of KCCC and it's not in stock, but I cannot wait to see what happens when I continue to do that.

Maybe damp hair works better for wavies.

I may have to give KCCC another whirl. I have a tub sitting in my bathroom, and it's not getting a lot of attention. It's so frustrating sometimes when you have to consider your hair properties, figure out what your hair does and doesn't like, and then experimenting with products. LOL when I have a good hair day I can't just so "Oh I used "such and such" gel" I have to consider the current state of my hair, was it wet, dry,or damp, did I use a LI or No?, what was the temp?, was it humid? dry? outside, etc. etc. etc.

Sorry had to vent!

I did happen to find a new product I liked. The Herbal Essence Hydralicious (sp?) It's the one in the purple bottle. I do poo and have used both the shampoo and conditioner. Yes there are cones! Unfortunatey low poo and no poo just didn't work for me, so I do use sulfates (limited to twice a week) and I do use cones. I do try to limit them and mix them with more natural products (oils, butters, etc.) but I really don't seem to have any issues with them. Anyway, the conditioner makes my hair very soft. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now with no build up issues or weird hair days. I also use it as a detangler.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file