Extreme Cheapskates??

honeysweet20honeysweet20 Registered Users Posts: 362 Curl Novice
Has anyone watched this show? Extreme Cheapskates? It's about people pinching to save money which I have no probs with, but some go to extremes, hence the title.

What are some things that you do that are a little out there to save money in a bind?

Some of the things people did on the show were like cooking lasagna in the dishwasher, washing dishes in the kiddie pool, and sharing the bed with the ENTIRE family? Yea some were cool tips but most seemed downright unsanitary? Thoughts?

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Has anyone watched this show? Extreme Cheapskates? It's about people pinching to save money which I have no probs with, but some go to extremes, hence the title.

What are some things that you do that are a little out there to save money in a bind?

Some of the things people did on the show were like cooking lasagna in the dishwasher, washing dishes in the kiddie pool, and sharing the bed with the ENTIRE family? Yea some were cool tips but most seemed downright unsanitary? Thoughts?

Yes, they recently had a Cheapskates marathon and I saw several episodes back to back.

I thought the man who paid the waitress for the restaurant meal with a big bag of uncounted coins was a real butthole.

And the millionare who drove the crappy car and was too cheap to buy new tires? She was just too much.

dooooh and the young guy who flushes the toilet once a week (and w/ his dirty bath water) was hilarious.

Back when I wore contact lenses, esp in college, I would wear one at a time to make a pair last longer. LOL

My father used to buy packages of paper kitchen napkins and rip each one in half when he set the table. LOL
  • frankie88frankie88 Registered Users Posts: 106
    Honestly, I can’t stand to watch that show very much...just my opinion. Some of the people are downright dirty and it bugs me. Poor hygiene is a pet peeve of mine, so it’s difficult for me to watch it most of the time. Like this one lady would go dumpster diving instead of grocery shopping and then shower once a week with dish water….way to extreme for me. Also all of her clothes were 10+ years old because she refused to spend money on anything new. She wasn’t broke or anything, just didn’t like wasting money.
    2a/2b, Medium Porosity, Medium Density, Lower Back Length, Growing out highlights.
    Shampoo: SMMR Conditioner: SMMR or Organix Keratin Oil Leave In: Organix Shea Butter DC: Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba oil mixed all together with v05 conditioner.
    “Imperfection is beauty.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe
  • Anne6221Anne6221 Registered Users Posts: 3
    I'm all for saving money, but sometimes it's just too far.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    I will now know to avoid this show.

Some of your comments remind me of a guy that was interested in me for some time. Armando from Spain. Good gravy he was fine, but eco-friendly and cheap to the point of unsanitary and extreme. His family owns a rather large business so money is not a huge object. He just prefers being a dirty hippy. ;) Seriously, a very person, but I could not see it happening after talks of dish water showers, and running on treadmills or using an exercise bike to occasionally power the television or stereo.

(I need music to wash the dishes, so I was already out in that before iPod situation)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MooshvilleMooshville Registered Users Posts: 111 Curl Neophyte
    Unless I was really broke and had to go to the extreme, I wouldn't do it. It's gross. I have a budget that's pretty tight, as in I don't spend on things I really don't need and I live in a small 1 bdr apt. Just the basics. Once in awhile will I go out for dinner with a friend, and that's a cheap dinner at that.
  • honeysweet20honeysweet20 Registered Users Posts: 362 Curl Novice
    yea i agree with all of you! i can't believe that lady who dumpster dives served her friend some of the food from the trash. he was like this tastes like canned food. and the thing that is baffling about this, is these people like have money, one family were millionaires. You had several people on that show refusing to even buy toilet paper. one family was reusing washcloths to wipe their bottom. You heard the little boy saying mommy this one is dirty! like what?

I like to be frugal when i can, like cutting down on the starbucks and the number of times i take a cab to work, or reusing paper towels to wipe the counter tops. I like to save money that way and it can be creative, but this is cray cray(do people still say that? lol). Doing your laundry in the bathtub while you shower?? And you have money! Oh hell no! and how are people who don't have money able?? Like the married couple sharing a toothbrush:brushteeth:and sharing floss what?? is?? this??? thing?? This has to be for t.v only.

Here's a link to the episode on youtube. *WARNING GRAPHIC NOT FOR THE WEAK STOMACHS*

Extreme Cheapskates Season 2 Episode 9 - Most Extreme Moments (Full Episode) - YouTube
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    I will now know to avoid this show.

Some of your comments remind me of a guy that was interested in me for some time. Armando from Spain. Good gravy he was fine, but eco-friendly and cheap to the point of unsanitary and extreme. His family owns a rather large business so money is not a huge object. He just prefers being a dirty hippy. ;) Seriously, a very person, but I could not see it happening after talks of dish water showers, and running on treadmills or using an exercise bike to occasionally power the television or stereo.

(I need music to wash the dishes, so I was already out in that before iPod situation)

Lol I had a funny image of your guy Armando running on a treadmill to juice the battery and then you washing the dishes. How efficient. *snort* This is a great guy. He'll probably become a millionaire. You probably missed out!
  • papayahedpapayahed Registered Users Posts: 1,282
    After watching this show a few times I can't help but want to tighten up my budget. Not to the extreme of the show but I always walk away thinking that somehow I'm wasting money somewhere.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I've never seen the show and after reading this thread I don't plan to ever watch. It would disgust me.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm New EnglandRegistered Users Posts: 1,250
    That dumpster diving lady was gross - I can't believe she would feed her guests dumpster food! I like saving money - I make my own deodorant, household cleaning supplies, and when shopping I shop major sales plus coupons. I reuse my daily contacts for 2-3 days because I really don't think they're junk after just one days use. I do soak them at night to be safe.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • LovemenappyLovemenappy Registered Users Posts: 332
    How people want to live their life is up to them, but the ones that go out to business establishments hustling for cheaper items are the ones that bother me the most. Like the black guy with the big head that served cake pops and taped ballons to avoid filling them with helium at his anniversary, at least the weirdo dude who serves his friends fish head soup ASKS instead of coming out the gate haggling.

A lot of them, are just gross.

Eating out of garbage cans, etc just nasty.

One lady was rich (according to her boyfriend) and was making food from scattered leaves outside and a cake she found in the dumpster.

Extreme Couponers though....that's the ish. Ya'll can't tell me that doesn't inspire you to start clipping at least a little bit. I saw a lady get $800 worth of stuff to a negative balance and I was through.

Extreme Couponers though....that's the ish. Ya'll can't tell me that doesn't inspire you to start clipping at least a little bit. I saw a lady get $800 worth of stuff to a negative balance and I was through.

I do want to see this show. When I worked retail this one couple would whip out the coupons and walk out with bags of things for free. This is hot. I wish i had the time and patience to clip coupons, when there are there, I mostly forget to use them. Does Extreme Couponers still come on?
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    It's on Netflix. (Extreme Couponing)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    That dumpster diving lady was gross - I can't believe she would feed her guests dumpster food! I like saving money - I make my own deodorant, household cleaning supplies, and when shopping I shop major sales plus coupons. I reuse my daily contacts for 2-3 days because I really don't think they're junk after just one days use. I do soak them at night to be safe.

Lots of people dumpster dive to make a point about how much food is wasted by shops i.e. just chucked away when it's still edible and safe to eat.

It's when the food isn't packaged up that's when there is a health issue. In the Philippines the very poor eat unpackaged food including fried chicken other people have eaten. It's cooked up and served as pang pang.
    Blueblood wrote: »

Lots of people dumpster dive to make a point about how much food is wasted by shops i.e. just chucked away when it's still edible and safe to eat.

It's when the food isn't packaged up that's when there is a health issue. In the Philippines the very poor eat unpackaged food including fried chicken other people have eaten. It's cooked up and served as pang pang.

Yes I hate to see stores waste food in the U.S also, it would be great if they could set up something with neighboring shelters.

Yea in the Philippines, pagpag is a staple. I found one video of the people searching through the garbage for leftovers and then cooking it to sell to their own people. For many of them this is the only means of survival. The people on extreme cheapskates can afford their food and don't have to dumpster dive. Why not go to the establishment and ASK for their leftovers before they throw it away. There were times when I would frequent a fast food place at closing and they would throw an extra plate of food or two since it would just get wasted anyway. sigh

Anywhere here's the video from CNN for anyone interested in seeing this. Again not for the weak stomachs.

'Garbage chicken' a grim staple for Manila's poor - CNN.com
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not in the States but this is an issue in lots of Western countries - both the dumpster diving and food retailers throwing away edible food.

Also giving it away to shelters and soup kitchens won't help as a lot of it is very healthy.

I've helped out in homeless shelters and it was explained that homeless people don't want to eat super healthy food. As a result they had to turn down certain food like salads and "fancy" vegetarian sandwiches but vegetables that are cooked were fine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file