How do you deal with incompetent people at work?

sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
I like my job, but I swear, the majority of these people I work with are so freaking incompetent!!!

There's this lady that's been here since forever ago. Since I've gotten the job here 2 years ago, we've all proofed each other's work, minus that lady. I just assumed since she's been here, she's done great work.

Until I kept coming across the same damn mistakes over and over and over again. I point out the ones that are common to my supervisor so she can address it, but skip over the small stuff and just fix it myself. I tend to have to fix other people's stuff a lot too. But this lady in particular took the cake today an ate it too.

I work in education, and won't say what I do in particular, but I proofed this lady's work when she had a confusing workload one day. I wrote out all of the corrections, even made pictures so it was easy to follow. I told her she needs to fully write out titles and not abbreviate them. What did she do? She didn't do a damn thing!!! She submitted her work without making the corrections. And guess who got the email about it today? (I was randomly selected for it, lucky me)

I didn't know whether or not to bring this up to my supervisor, but I did, because it was such a huge mistake and I didn't want to be the one to correct ALL of it (even though I'm correcting most of it, because I don't trust her at all to do anything anymore).

The mistakes I come across are so freaking dumb, like the person would just either have to be completely incompetent or just not pay any attention whatsoever. When it comes down to it, it makes me want to quit my job. I took on a special task at work, that eventually led to everybody taking responsibility for it. I've pointed out stuff that the supervisors have told people to correct and they haven't. So guess who gets to fix it all!? I do not get paid enough to be doing this. I'm sorry I care about my job, but my goodness I'm way behond frustrated!!!!

Would you guys look for a new job? Would you guys correct these mistakes yourself?
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not clear on how big a part of the job the proofreading and editing are. And if there are other incompetencies besides those.

But heck no, I wouldn't let that F-up run me out of my job!
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    The proofing and editing are essential. We are putting a student record out there, and if it's wrong it could effect their hours, courses they take, graduation, etc. We are a huge part of this university and f'ups like this because of stupidity are just not acceptable.

It's not that I want to let it run me out of a job, I'm just tired of working with a bunch of people that don't know how to do their job properly. But I guess you will get that anywhere. I'm only bothered so much, because it seems like I'm the only one that actually cares enough to fix it or get it fixed. I don't know if it's laziness, incompetency, or both on other people's part. But all of the mistakes made here can affect a studen't record in a very negative way. Some things are not a big deal to fix, but it shouldn't have been missed in the first place. I consider those things to be very beginner things that we've learned.

I just needed to vent big time.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    And you will need vent time for the rest of your life in almost every job you work. Even if one incompetent person moves on, another will eventually take their place. Do your job correctly, and stand your ground. That is the only advice I have. I've had dealings with the incompetent for 10 years now, and in my job incompetent can very likely equal someones death. The majority manage to weed themselves out fairly quickly. They realize the job is not for them, and can not handle the stress, but there is always a delusional exception who thinks their work is perfect regardless of the fact that they are continuously getting in trouble for their actions on the job. At the moment we are incompetent free but I am sure it will not last long. 3 hires out of the last 13 have been good. The odds are not in anyones favor.

Hang in there.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Is it a public university? If so, say no more! LOL

I agree w/ Fifi - use their incompetence to stand out. If you can organize your observations, make some kind of flow chart or logic model and offer to do an in-service training (build in 20 hrs of overtime ;) ).Just complain yourself right into a promotion!
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 St. LouisRegistered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    This would annoy the crap out of me. I'm the type of person who likes to work independently for these reasons. I also can't stand lazy people. Incompetency is one thing, to an extent, but being lazy is something else.

I also work in a university setting (like we spoke about earlier) and I know how important it is to get it right. I don't work with student data, however, I work more with clinical and forensic information, but I get what you are saying. How hard is it to follow directions and double check your work? I don't know. I think you did the right thing in saying something, but if this is a continual thing, you could start looking for a new job. I'll agree that there are levels of incompetency at every job, but some have more than others. It all depends what you are willing to put up with and how bad it is stressing you out/frustrating you.

I have people at my job who don't know how to use the printer. It runs out of paper and they just stand there looking at it and trying to figure out what's wrong. Then they come get me to fix it!

More than that though, if I can vent a little as well, I hate those people that think they are better than you because they have a senior title. I work in an admin position, and one of the clinicians here thinks that because I'm not a clinician, I should have no problem getting her clients tea or a snack or something equally as demeaning when I'm dealing with billing or maintenance. I was actually in a meeting with the maintenance guy about some sound problems we were having and she interrupted just to ask me to get her client some tea AFTER she walked right by the kitchen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    More than that though, if I can vent a little as well, I hate those people that think they are better than you because they have a senior title. I work in an admin position, and one of the clinicians here thinks that because I'm not a clinician, I should have no problem getting her clients tea or a snack or something equally as demeaning when I'm dealing with billing or maintenance. I was actually in a meeting with the maintenance guy about some sound problems we were having and she interrupted just to ask me to get her client some tea AFTER she walked right by the kitchen.

Feel free to vent all you want! That is totally demeaning. I would ignore her requests or tell her what actual work that you are doing and you don't have time.

This one lady in our office, I call her Coffee Lady. She started making coffee, because there were a couple of us who like to drink coffee, including myself. I used to help out when I drank it, then I stopped caffeine and went decaf. (She only makes caffeinated.) Then the other coffee drinker in the office left for another job, so it was just her making and drinking it. Around this time we got a new Big Boss Man in the office, and her coffee project turned into Boss Man's coffee. She basically was making it for him. So every time she was late or wasn't going to be in, she would text me to ask me to make it - when I don't even drink it! I told her once that Boss Man is perfectly capable of making it himself. I did clean the pot one day, because she let it sit overnight. Boss Man saw me with it and says, "Ok, you go ahead!" I washed it, put it back, and went to work. He made his own coffee.
    Is it a public university? If so, say no more! LOL

I agree w/ Fifi - use their incompetence to stand out. If you can organize your observations, make some kind of flow chart or logic model and offer to do an in-service training (build in 20 hrs of overtime ;) ).Just complain yourself right into a promotion!

Unfortunately it's a state public university, so there's not much I can do on the getting a promotion or a raise side. My supervisor has already acknowledged the fact that I do great work and go above average with everything that I do and have good leadership skills. She said she wishes she could provide me with more than more work to do. If there's a special project, or they need a stand in for something, she always picks me. It can be annoying to be the only one who is given extra work, but at the same time it's a compliment.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Guuurrrrlll, I could go on and on about my coworkers and their poor writing skills. I sometimes wonder how many of them graduated from high school.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    ^ I know that feeling. I was reading over a news article about the % of employers disappointed in the writing skills of their employees. It was mainly focusing on hires over the past so many years. A rather large percent said writing skills, critical and creative thinking skills were well below average or typical. I know we have had a large problem with it. We do not have to be 100% perfect. No one is going to grade us on errors, and we are often typing comments while dealing with numerous different calls, but most try their hardest to put sufficient notes in because this information may be used in court. That is why we often use note pads to write down information, and then use our notes to write coherent comments. We have had an incredibly hard time getting others to understand this. I can only imagine the looks on lawyers faces when they look at the print out and read

Gub red short

We are still having that problem with 2 new hires. They are decent employees, but this is a never ending struggle. I won't even get started on the critical or creative thinking. We still have 5 year employees that want someone to hold their hand through every step. They could do it on their own, they just have no faith and do not want the responsibility of making their own decisions and judgements.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 St. LouisRegistered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »

Feel free to vent all you want! That is totally demeaning. I would ignore her requests or tell her what actual work that you are doing and you don't have time.

This one lady in our office, I call her Coffee Lady. She started making coffee, because there were a couple of us who like to drink coffee, including myself. I used to help out when I drank it, then I stopped caffeine and went decaf. (She only makes caffeinated.) Then the other coffee drinker in the office left for another job, so it was just her making and drinking it. Around this time we got a new Big Boss Man in the office, and her coffee project turned into Boss Man's coffee. She basically was making it for him. So every time she was late or wasn't going to be in, she would text me to ask me to make it - when I don't even drink it! I told her once that Boss Man is perfectly capable of making it himself. I did clean the pot one day, because she let it sit overnight. Boss Man saw me with it and says, "Ok, you go ahead!" I washed it, put it back, and went to work. He made his own coffee.

Thanks for letting me vent! I was new when that happened (been here six months now) and I think I have successfully let her know that I am not one to do that kind of work when there is other work (work that I've actually been assigned) to be done. Also, I find it demeaning and insulting. We just don't get along. She is extremely fake and all of the admin staff dislikes the way she treats them.

Coffee lady sounds like a suck up! There's no way I would be making coffee for someone if I didn't drink it! The things some people expect you to do are ridiculous. I was hired to do a job, not to clean up/wait on other people in the office. I made a kitchen list at the recommendation of another lady at one of our other locations and the same lady that asked me to make tea through an absolute fit and started telling me why we don't need a kitchen list with set duties. I told her that I don't have any clients and there's no way me or my admin staff are going to be the only ones cleaning up after HER clients. I'm not a maid. If I were, that would be one thing, but I'm not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    booze!!!

when i get home - of course!!!!

drunk-smiley.gif?1292867586
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    Here is the Time Business article I mentioned

http://business.time.com/2013/11/10/the-real-reason-new-college-grads-cant-get-hired/

Of course people have different experiences, and this in no way can cover all, but it is (sadly) very true in my experience. I honestly worry about the future of my office. We can not keep part timers. They will not hold to their obligations. They call out the day they are scheduled or leave during the shift. The newer full timers have horrible critical thinking and communications skills. I found out last week that the writing situation has caused problems in court, like I knew it would. One of my co workers recently tried to talk to our newest hire (who caused a problem in court and was complained on) about doing a better job when cadding the events of the call. I was told she stuck her hand in her senior co workers face and told her she did not want to hear it. She did a fantastic job. So, let me add deluded to the list. *Really that falls under the well documented problem of lashing out at co workers during training and constructive criticism.

I am looking forward to the next staff meeting. I am getting ready to tell some people to sit down, keep your hands to yourself and do not even think about doing anything other than listening.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^ No, I would not get in trouble for that in the slightest. It seems to be the only thing that works. My boss has literally had to scream SHUT YOUR MOUTH in staff meetings over the past 4 years. After asking nicely failed.

I don't get it. We want people to do well. We need people to do well, but new hire after new hire has been a horrible mess. I know articles like the one above upset people, but you would think after years of people saying it, someone would actually listen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    It is frustrating to work with people who don't care and then that turns into a heavier workload for you with the same pay. I agree with the poster that said it depends on how annoyed at the situation you are. Every job has things that bother you, but if the situation is bringing you down more than the work is bringing you up, then you need to begin.looking for another job.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    As for writing, when I worked at a nonprofit and a state vocational school, I noticed that some employees in management positions didn't have basic grammar and writing skills. Sadly, they would send emails to vendors with many errors.

The school was a place I couldn't wait to leave. The admissions and financial aid staff were rude to students and constantly missed work. I worked in marketing and recruitment and their inadequacy affected my job. Also, I think I had a level of professionalism that didn't exist at the school, including upper management. Once I left, my level of anger decreased substantially. So sometimes you do need to leave the job.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file