Frizz forcast and the 411 on dew points&humectants don't agree

Hi curlies!

I always pay attention to the dewpoints for choosing my products. I use the frizz forcast, but lately, I noticed that this article:
The 411 On Dew Points & Humectants

sometimes gives a different advice than the frizz forcast does. For example, for my location, the frizz forcast says the dewpoint is 35, what should give 'optimal curls' and I should use anti-humectants.
The article above sais dewpoint 35 is a mid-range dewpoint, what requieres trial and error if I could handle humectants or not.

I have this problem more often. Which one is right?
highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
RO + LI: different every time
Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)

Comments

  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    35 isn't a moderate dew point. 40-60 is the moderate range for most. So it's low, but not dreadfully low, just enough to make a bit of a difference. In low dew points, it's particularly important to condition your hair well, and I've found the baptismal rinse particularly helpful for this. Go lighter on stylers, which are more helpful in high dew points.

    I recommend the book Live Curly, Live Free by Tiffany Anderson for good information on dew points, hair properties, and product ingredients.
    Peace,
    Morgan

    Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I refer to the Frizz Forecast, but ignore the advice. The 411 is a better reference imo. I actually started off CG learning about dewpoints from a couple CurlTalk threads and a blog post by Redcelticcurls (the 411 article agrees with her blog post).

    Where the Frizz Forecast advice differs from the 411, if I recall, is in the 30° - 40° and 50° - 60° range. 30° - 40° is more of an iffy range for humectants, up to individual experience, than it is an "avoid avoid avoid" range from what I've seen on the forum the past few years. I don't have Frizz Forecast "frizzy curls" advice to refer to just now, but I believe that range starts at 50°. Some with higher porosity probably do get frizzy curls there, but others start having issues with it more in higher 60° dews and above. So, I feel like the 411 40° - 60° happy curls range is a better reference point, in general.

    These are some older threads regarding dewpoints that I found helpful when I was starting out...

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/43942-dew-point-vs-humidity.html - A bit old, so product recs may have been reformulated or discontinued, but it's still a good discussion to read through. It includes ladies from various climates ranging from super dry to variable, to more dampish, so you get a good range of thought s and suggestions.

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/9284-summer-vs-winter-what-change-seasons.html - This one is a bit old too, so again, some product recs will have been discontinued or reformulated by now. The general advice is decent though.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

    Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,343Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    etos wrote: »
    Hi curlies!

    I always pay attention to the dewpoints for choosing my products. I use the frizz forcast, but lately, I noticed that this article:
    The 411 On Dew Points & Humectants

    sometimes gives a different advice than the frizz forcast does. For example, for my location, the frizz forcast says the dewpoint is 35, what should give 'optimal curls' and I should use anti-humectants.
    The article above sais dewpoint 35 is a mid-range dewpoint, what requieres trial and error if I could handle humectants or not.

    I have this problem more often. Which one is right?

    i agree, ignore the advice. i mentioned this before several months ago in the feedback section, but.....
    just know what the moderate dews are, 40 - 60, and get the dew point and figure out which category it is, and follow what you know for each category. they are always wrong on the category. i use it only for the dew point.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • etosetos Posts: 221Registered Users
    Thank you all for your advice!
    So, actually you all agree that 40-60 are moderate dews, just like the 411 sais?

    Do I understand correctly with the following list?

    low dews (>40):
    -no humectants
    -less stylers
    -more moisture/conditioner

    moderate dews (40-60)
    -humectants
    -moderate amount of stylers and conditioner

    high dews (60+)
    -no humectants
    -more stylers
    -less moisture/conditoner
    highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

    Pre-poo: coconut oil
    wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
    RO + LI: different every time
    Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

    dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

    (modified) CG since june 25, 2012
    Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

    SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,343Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    etos -- yes, that's the guideline.

    everyone's hair is different so you can play around a little. i.e., my hair is ok in high dews with humectants. alternatively, it cannot tolerate humectants even a drop below 40 dew point.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    This is a great thread, thank you to everyone for the info :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    etos wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice!
    So, actually you all agree that 40-60 are moderate dews, just like the 411 sais?

    Do I understand correctly with the following list?

    low dews (>40):
    -no humectants
    -less stylers
    -more moisture/conditioner

    moderate dews (40-60)
    -humectants
    -moderate amount of stylers and conditioner

    high dews (60+)
    -no humectants
    -more stylers
    -less moisture/conditoner

    Yes, but as Rbb said, don't be afraid to play around. Also, look at the total picture of an ingredients list, not just "there's a humectant in there, that must be why my hair sucks. " Lastly, keep in mind that humectants are generally only an issue in products that are left in the hair (leave in conditioner and stylers). Regardless of the dewpoint outside, humectants in things like shampoo and conditioner that you apply in a warm, moist shower environment (and then rinse out), will help hydrate your hair, drawing moisture into it from the steamy air.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

    Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,343Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    etos wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice!
    So, actually you all agree that 40-60 are moderate dews, just like the 411 sais?

    Do I understand correctly with the following list?

    low dews (>40):
    -no humectants
    -less stylers
    -more moisture/conditioner

    moderate dews (40-60)
    -humectants
    -moderate amount of stylers and conditioner

    high dews (60+)
    -no humectants
    -more stylers
    -less moisture/conditoner

    Yes, but as Rbb said, don't be afraid to play around. Also, look at the total picture of an ingredients list, not just "there's a humectant in there, that must be why my hair sucks. " Lastly, keep in mind that humectants are generally only an issue in products that are left in the hair (leave in conditioner and stylers). Regardless of the dewpoint outside, humectants in things like shampoo and conditioner that you apply in a warm, moist shower environment (and then rinse out), will help hydrate your hair, drawing moisture into it from the steamy air.


    generally the first 5 ingredients are the ones to be concerned with. and, to keep things more confusing, it totally depends on the formulation. but, as a general rule, if there is a humectant in the first 5 ingredients it can pose a problem in low or high dews.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just thought you might want to correct a type. >40 means greater than 40, and I got the impression you meant <40, since you mentioned it with low dews.
    Peace,
    Morgan

    Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,343Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just thought you might want to correct a type. >40 means greater than 40, and I got the impression you meant <40, since you mentioned it with low dews.

    morgan, good catch! when i commented to etos that that was correct guideline, my eyes just looked at the numbers. i generally write it as 40 to 60, so i saw the numbers and assumed the rest. LOL! which would leave the ones who read what is there still confused with results.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file