Middle of hair slow to dry, weighing down curls

I've done a bit of searching, but can't find specific information to help, so I figured I'd ask. My hair is about Bsl when wet right now, and after applying products and scrunching out water I diffuse till the ends are about 80 percent dry. The roots don't take too long to air dry after that, but the middle of my hair, from the nape of my neck till a few inches from the bottom, takes a long time to dry. I'm sure this is because my hair is most dense here, and I don't mind the time it takes necessarily, but the weight of that damp hair is dragging out my curl, at least I'm pretty sure it is. I've tried to come up with some way to support the length during this drying, I've tried wearing a sweatshirt and collecting my hair in the hood for instance. But once it's fully dry it still looks like stretched out curls apart from the bottom which has obeyed my wishes. Has anyone else had this issue?
3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
L I: KCKT, gvpcb
Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
Oils: coconut, argan
Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have really thick hair 3c/4a & my crown region takes forever to dry. But my hair takes almost 3 days to air dry. What I do to speed up the drying process is turn on the ceiling fan in my room. It really helps keep me from going to work with sopping wet hair. Or I sit under a cool hooded dryer til my hair is about 90% dry.
  • CoifedCoilsCoifedCoils Posts: 31Registered Users
    . I notice the middle of my hair takes the longest, so what I do is pin up the canopy on the first day so the middle section gets some air on it. That alone shortens my drying time. If you really want that section to dry quicker try diffusing it for 1-2 minutes longer than the rest of your hair. .
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    Thanks both of you, I'll try these next. :)
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    I wanted to update this to say that while I still have this problem, using a fan after diffusing to set my curls has helped quite a bit. I thought it might cause frizz, but since the gel cast has already formed the hair really doesn't blow around.
  • CurlyDiva71CurlyDiva71 Posts: 130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem with my hair. Even though it's really porous, I think the back middle section (just where you described) is most dense on my head, and not nearly as porous as the rest of my hair. My nape also has a less curly section.
    Even though it's against the rules. I scrunch that hair from underneath several times as it's drying and my curls form better back there. I don't notice any frizz from doing it. My main frizz is usually the canopy, and as long as I leave that alone I don't get frizz.

3A, a mix of boticelli, corkicelli, and a few s-waves, baby fine, naturally porous, medium/high density

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    Co-wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, Sauve Naturals, VO5, As I Am coconut co-wash
    Conditioner: TJ's Nourish, Tresseme Naturals, Sauve Naturals coconut, SM Coconut & Hibiscus
    LI: KCKT
    Styling: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, HETT Mousse (HG's!)
    EcoStyler Krystal (new HG!!!), BRHG
    coconut oil or jojoba oil to SOTC
    Color treated with demi-permanent color to cover first grays
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    Have the same issue due to high density, although it really affects all hair apart from the absolute top section. Even if it comes out looking great by the time it has dired (12+ hours later) it has stretched out a lot.

For me a portable hooded dryer has done wonders, then I can make sure the hair is overall dry enough to be able to air dry properly, and still have a fairly even drying.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file