Nunaat Keratin Hair Mask/What does Keratin do to your hair anyway???

I feel like all salons offer Keratin treatments as a sort of "anti-relaxer" but in my mind they're pretty much the same thing, used to straighten out curls and kinks. Can anyone explain what Keratin is supposed to do to your hair and does it help us curlies or is it more for trying to achieve straight hair?

ALSO,
I was gifted the Nunaat Brazilian Keratin Intensive Hair Mask and was wondering if anyone had tried it and had any reviews for how it worked on your curly hair?

Comments

• SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Using hydrolyzed keratin in a product can be good for hair to aid in adding more protein to hair structure. As far keratin treatments in order to straighten, I have nothing to say on that.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A keratin straightening (not a true treatment in that it is not beneficial) is a very different animal to a conditioner containing hydrolysed keratin. The straightening is damaging due to the very high temperature flat iron used.

Product depends on the specific ingredients and your hair type: hydrolysed protein had all sorts of beneficial properties but can be I overused and often isn't suited to coarse hair. See 'curl chemist' Tonya McKays articles her on NC and also the Natural Havrn blog.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • currrlysuecurrrlysue Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thank you both!
  • currrlysuecurrrlysue Posts: 8Registered Users
    I've had a hard time figuring out those types of things; porosity, whether my hair likes proteins or glycerin or sulfates. Ahhhhhh I feel like it's all so much just to have a head of nicely curled hair :(
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Consider a microscope hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy or Komaza Care.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file