2b/2c in Florida - PLEASE HELP!

heidichuheidichu Posts: 23Registered Users
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster :toothy5:

Here's a little minibio on my hair: 2b/2c, about 20" long, medium thickness/porosity, oily roots, somewhat dry ends. Constantly combating frizz in humid Florida weather. :afro:

Like the rest of us, I'm looking for product recommendations.

I'm happy with my shampoo and conditioner faves which I keep in rotation:
Elucence Moisture Shampoo / Conditioner
Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo / Conditioner
L'oreal Evercurl Hydracharge Shampoo / Conditioner

Hair gets stringy when I apply 1-2 drops of argan oil to seal after using coconut hibiscus curl milk (nickle sized amount).

I'm having trouble finding decent frizz eliminating and curl defining gels and curl creams that actually work and don't weigh my hair down. More importantly, I need something that works best in Florida weather where our dews are typically north of 60° :sad5:
Miami, Florida, high dews, hard water
2b/2c fine width, thin-med density, *low porosity

Low-poo: SM Coconut & Hibiscus
Chelating: Joico Kpak Clarifying or Redken Cleansing Cream (once a month)
RO: GVP CB
Stylers: FSG, BCC
Gels: Pantene Curl Enhancing Spray Gel

Testing: AG: Recoil, KCNT, KCCC, BRHG, IA-10 Lite

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome!

If your ends are dry they may well be higher porosity than your roots due to damage (UV light, old heat styling, dye, etc). You may find it worthwhile clarifying and chelating then starting from scratch.

Many wavies struggle with applying straight up oils or products rich in butters. Instead use penetrating oils as overnight deep treatments to reduce porosity and/ or as minor ingredients in your leave in conditioner.

Avoid the potent humectants (glycerin, propylene glycol, honey, aloe vera if high on the ingredients, sorbitol etc) in higher dews.

Personally I find the right leave in conditioner and amount of it more important in frizz control and clumping that the styling product.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • heidichuheidichu Posts: 23Registered Users
    Welcome!

If your ends are dry they may well be higher porosity than your roots due to damage (UV light, old heat styling, dye, etc). You may find it worthwhile clarifying and chelating then starting from scratch.

Many wavies struggle with applying straight up oils or products rich in butters. Instead use penetrating oils as overnight deep treatments to reduce porosity and/ or as minor ingredients in your leave in conditioner.

Avoid the potent humectants (glycerin, propylene glycol, honey, aloe vera if high on the ingredients, sorbitol etc) in higher dews.

Personally I find the right leave in conditioner and amount of it more important in frizz control and clumping that the styling product.

Thank you for the detailed response! :)

Some questions:

Any particular chelating shampoo you recommend?

I see that you use coconut oil as a leave-in / treatment. I've only ever used it pre-shampoo and only for about 15-20 minutes, I'm guessing this is why I've not seen results (not enough time to sink in). How long do you typically leave it in? Do you heat the oil, or just rub between hands to bring down the temperature enough to liquefy? I'm having a hard time visualizing a mess-free application if I'm wearing it to sleep over night, is there some sort of cling-wrapping or bonnet involved?

Thank you for your help!

I'm in the UK so not much help on chelating shampoos in the US - there are Malibu C sachets and ION Swimmers at Sally's I think.

I use coconut oil overnight to twenty four hours as per the published research, occasionally longer, then conditioner only wash out.

I melt in the microwave and slather on dry hair in sections right side up and head upside down, it is a little messy! Then a reusable fabric shower cap, or a baggie plus microfibre towel turban. The shower cap stays on better overnight, but the elastic can be uncomfortable for very long periods - during the day I messy bun with Spin Pins. Others use cling film/ saran wrap. You can lay towels on any furniture or pillows if you wish.

Be aware: cats and dogs like coconut oil, on-your-head is a perfectly acceptable serving method apparently!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Thank you for the advice Firefox, it is very thorough and helpful :)

I'm interested in using the coconut oil after hearing it helps with protein. Perhaps I'll do an overnight treatment, and if I am feeling confident I'll wear it out for longer in a bun :cool:

I'm thinking of getting some of the following products, I've heard good things but I'm not sure they will work in humid weather after looking over their ingredients.

Boots Essentials Curling Cream
    Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends Jelly
    Jessicurls Spiralicious Styling Gel
    Davine's Glossy Modekling Putty
    MopTop gels? (they seem to be recommended for 2's)

Any similar curly girls out there have experience with the products mentioned above in high dews?

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Coconut oil isn't protein.

It is however one of the cheapest oils that is actually absorbed into the hair strands if left on for around 13 hours.
    Blueblood wrote: »

It is however one of the cheapest oils that is actually absorbed into the hair strands if left on for around 13 hours.

You're right, from what I understand it prevents protein loss, provided it is left on long enough to allow absorption.

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    heidichu wrote: »

You're right, from what I understand it prevents protein loss, provided it is left on long enough to allow absorption.

Yes, that is my understanding.

Hi Heidi!

Instead of creams and oils for your styler I think you should go for gels or jellies. Great home-made jellies are flax-seed and okra. Also available for purchase from Sweet Curls Elixirs (etsy). These will help with definition and frizz and not draw water from the air into your hair.

Some find that they can use jellies alone (they have a soft hold) and some top the jellies with a hard hold gel. You can also use hard hold gel alone... experiment and see what you like.

You'll want to look at gels without glycerin, propelene glycol or aloe (humectants). Some that I can think of off the top of my head: LA Looks Sports Gel, Volumax Mega (from Sally's), Giovanni LA Natural gel, Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    wavydaze wrote: »

Yes, that is my understanding.

Hi Heidi!

Instead of creams and oils for your styler I think you should go for gels or jellies. Great home-made jellies are flax-seed and okra. Also available for purchase from Sweet Curls Elixirs (etsy). These will help with definition and frizz and not draw water from the air into your hair.

Some find that they can use jellies alone (they have a soft hold) and some top the jellies with a hard hold gel. You can also use hard hold gel alone... experiment and see what you like.

You'll want to look at gels without glycerin, propelene glycol or aloe (humectants). Some that I can think of off the top of my head: LA Looks Sports Gel, Volumax Mega (from Sally's), Giovanni LA Natural gel, Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha.

Thank you Wavy! I did experiment with the flax seed gel once, (I love DIY beauty products) but the results were subpar. I'm almost certain it was due to an error on my part (heating/mixing/straining) than an issue with the ingredients or recipe. I'll likely purchase some ready made from Sweet curls before venturing back into my kitchen lab and risk setting the house on fire :P

As for the hard hold gels, I'm going to look into the volumax from Sally's or the Giovanni. I've tried finding LLSG around here but they never seem to have it, only the yellow or green ones.

I'm also interested in ouidad climate control, have you tried it? I'd love to get the same results as Veronica Meza in her video. It's been posted a few times on the boards. http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=mc3h05es#/watch/?v=qOwMpF2mutU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%2F%3Fv%3DqOwMpF2mutU

• wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I looked for LLSG today at CVS, they didn't have it, but they did have the CVS version of it, I read the ingredients and nothing jumped out at me, so I bought it. I just mentioned this, because it may be something to check for.
    Yes I do have the OCC gel and I have gotten good results from it. The Veronica meza diffusing tutorial is great and I have gotten good results from it..... I just don't have her amazing curls! 😭
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

I was going to add one more thing... technique is as important as product IME. If you haven't already look through the stickies for techniques. I find I've gotten great results applying gel to soaking wet hair, Deva style. Their website has tutorials on applying gel. I can't plop for long, but that may work for you. I detangle in the shower while my hair is soaked in conditioner. I do not comb or brush my hair, especially not when dry. Hair gets detangled at next wash. Diffusing gives me the best curls. I did the VM tutorial with Volumax Mega (after applying it in the shower to soaking wet hair) and I had great curly results. But now I'm throwing out my rule book and experiment myself... adding gel to damp hair, raking it instead of smoothing, scrunching, not scrunching, adding to dry hair, finger combing etc. Everyone needs to experiment to see what works best.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Thank you ladies,

In regards to experimenting with technique, I fully agree. I've never gotten good results from plopping, despite using only tshirts or microfiber towels, it creates frizz in my hair. I always detangle in the shower with conditioner, but I also do a couple passes through my hair with a Wet Brush (before applying styling product) to get rid of any rogue knots. I usually wring my hair of excess water before applying product, I'll take a look at the deva method and try that out.

Essentially, I'm trying to find a styling method that allows for good results with air drying, as I don't usually have enough time to diffuse. I tried the VM OCC gel method without diffusing and I had a hard time scrunching out the crunch, it looked off. I think I will start trying out the other products mentioned in the thread. Volumax mega and Giovanni L.A. Natural being my top choices as the others may be hard to locate in stores near me.

• c0mpanionc0mpanion Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster :toothy5:

Here's a little minibio on my hair: 2b/2c, about 20" long, medium thickness/porosity, oily roots, somewhat dry ends. Constantly combating frizz in humid Florida weather. :afro:

Like the rest of us, I'm looking for product recommendations.

I'm happy with my shampoo and conditioner faves which I keep in rotation:
    Elucence Moisture Shampoo / Conditioner
    Redken Curvaceous Cream Shampoo / Conditioner
    L'oreal Evercurl Hydracharge Shampoo / Conditioner

Hair gets stringy when I apply 1-2 drops of argan oil to seal after using coconut hibiscus curl milk (nickle sized amount).

I'm having trouble finding decent frizz eliminating and curl defining gels and curl creams that actually work and don't weigh my hair down. More importantly, I need something that works best in Florida weather where our dews are typically north of 60° :sad5:

Hi Heidi! I live in Miami too, with very similar hair as you, with bits of 3a thrown into the mix. :tongue3: My hair is also pretty dry at the ends (and oily at the roots) and I have very healthy hair. I'm low-porosity AND have fine curls; oils just sit on my hair and cause it to be weighed down and just plain disgusting. The only type of oil my hair can even consider tolerating is coconut oil. Any other oils will make my hair stringy and just plain oily! I know you're medium porosity, but maybe you should get a hair analysis (if you haven't done so already) to double check, that way you're not spending a ton of money buying products not suited for your hair.

As for the products you're already using, if you're CG, there is a cone in your L'Oreal shampoo, if I'm not mistaken.

Aqua / Water / Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Hydrogenated Coconut Acid, Parfum / Fragrance, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Polyquaternium-7, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-10, Sodium Isethionate, Carbomer, Benzyl Benzoate, C11-15 Pareth-7, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzoic Acid, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Sodium Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Coumarin, Cocos Nucifera Oil / Coconut Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil / Grape Seed Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Oil / Orange Peel Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Hibiscus Esculentus / Hibiscus Esculentus Seed Extract, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.

Cones can build up on your hair without a sulfate shampoo to strip them. Your Redken shampoo claims to be sulfate free, and other than the surfactants in your L'Oreal, these cones can contribute to frizz which is SO hard to combat already in our tropical climate. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else within the Curly Community will correct me, and please feel free to if any of my advice is wrong! :lol:

I also noticed cetyl esters in your L'Oreal conditioner that may also be contributing to the problem. Cetyl esters are essentially waxes, and can easily build up on your hair. This is a big reason I can't use my Yes to Carrots conditioner sometimes; the cetyl esters build up on my hair, and along with having hard water, this makes the problem of frizz incredibly worse. Also, the glycerin in this conditioner is a humectant, which is not good for humid weather; we're trying to keep moisture from the air OUT of your hair to prevent frizz, not trap it in. I find that glycerin is totally wrong for my hair in high dews.

The gel I use especially in high dews is my handy-dandy BRHG! It's a little hard to come by at times if you're not buying online, but I went to a local Bed, Bath, and Beyond (the one near Dadeland Mall) and found some. They also have some at certain CVS's and Walgreens. I use a nickel sized amount of this to put all over my head and it's perfect at combatting frizz. Homemade flax seed gel works well too, but you have to make a good batch of it for it to show its full potential. At times when I've made the perfect batch, I'll use flax seed gel to combat frizz and define my curls; the trick is using an excess amount of it for it to work. It also has to be runny enough for you to distribute equally throughout your hair.

In addition to my BRHG and my homemade FSG, I normally use KCKT and KCCC. I use Elucence MBC as well, so I normally take a pea-sized amount of the KCKT and put it on towards the end of my shower time; then I'll detangle, get out of the shower, and apply my KCCC/BRHG. The KCCC helps define my curls, however, I'm weary of using it by itself. The last time I tried using it alone, my hair was super poofy. That may have been due to the high dews though. :happy8: I found that BRHG is the only gel that really holds my curls for an extended amount of time, so I believe you should buy the small 4oz bottle of it and see how it works for your hair.

Another thing I found helps with frizz is REFUSING to touch your hair while its wet. I know this is so commonly said, but in my personal experience, I find this so difficult to do, and I'm sure many curlies, and even wavies like us, have a problem with this also. :happy7: Plopping doesn't work for a lot of people, but I found just squeezing out the excess water with a microfiber towel (or even just my regular towel if I'm feeling lazy) after I've applied my products to soaking wet hair is just as efficient as plopping would be to people that can actually do it!

I hope I've helped at least a little bit! I totally empathize with your frizz issues, I've been having the same issue lately too, especially with summer just around the corner! Just make sure to keep the right balance of protein to moisture; it just takes a long time to learn how your hair reacts to techniques and products, but the more you listen to what your hair likes, the easier it'll be to control it. Give it time, experiment, and embrace your curls! :geek:
    Mod-CG since 11/24/13! :love6:
    Shoulder length, fine, low porosity, medium density, 2b&c/3a.
    Likes: Protein, Icequeen method, and occasional clarifying/
    low-poos
    due to super hard S. FL water!
    Dislikes: Too much product, glyercin/oils, heat!
    Favorites: GTTTT, EMBC, KCCC, BRHG, HETTM, KCKT!
    Experimenting with: CHS CK and cowashing!
    c0mpanion wrote: »

Hi Heidi! I live in Miami too, with very similar hair as you, with bits of 3a thrown into the mix. :tongue3: My hair is also pretty dry at the ends (and oily at the roots) and I have very healthy hair. I'm low-porosity AND have fine curls; oils just sit on my hair and cause it to be weighed down and just plain disgusting. The only type of oil my hair can even consider tolerating is coconut oil. Any other oils will make my hair stringy and just plain oily! I know you're medium porosity, but maybe you should get a hair analysis (if you haven't done so already) to double check, that way you're not spending a ton of money buying products not suited for your hair.

As for the products you're already using, if you're CG, there is a cone in your L'Oreal shampoo, if I'm not mistaken.

Aqua / Water / Eau, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth-26, Decyl Glucoside, Hydrogenated Coconut Acid, Parfum / Fragrance, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Polyquaternium-7, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-10, Sodium Isethionate, Carbomer, Benzyl Benzoate, C11-15 Pareth-7, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzoic Acid, Glycerin, Trideceth-12, Laureth-9, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Sodium Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Coumarin, Cocos Nucifera Oil / Coconut Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil / Grape Seed Oil, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis Oil / Orange Peel Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Hibiscus Esculentus / Hibiscus Esculentus Seed Extract, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid.

Cones can build up on your hair without a sulfate shampoo to strip them. Your Redken shampoo claims to be sulfate free, and other than the surfactants in your L'Oreal, these cones can contribute to frizz which is SO hard to combat already in our tropical climate. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone else within the Curly Community will correct me, and please feel free to if any of my advice is wrong! :lol:

I also noticed cetyl esters in your L'Oreal conditioner that may also be contributing to the problem. Cetyl esters are essentially waxes, and can easily build up on your hair. This is a big reason I can't use my Yes to Carrots conditioner sometimes; the cetyl esters build up on my hair, and along with having hard water, this makes the problem of frizz incredibly worse. Also, the glycerin in this conditioner is a humectant, which is not good for humid weather; we're trying to keep moisture from the air OUT of your hair to prevent frizz, not trap it in. I find that glycerin is totally wrong for my hair in high dews.

The gel I use especially in high dews is my handy-dandy BRHG! It's a little hard to come by at times if you're not buying online, but I went to a local Bed, Bath, and Beyond (the one near Dadeland Mall) and found some. They also have some at certain CVS's and Walgreens. I use a nickel sized amount of this to put all over my head and it's perfect at combatting frizz. Homemade flax seed gel works well too, but you have to make a good batch of it for it to show its full potential. At times when I've made the perfect batch, I'll use flax seed gel to combat frizz and define my curls; the trick is using an excess amount of it for it to work. It also has to be runny enough for you to distribute equally throughout your hair.

In addition to my BRHG and my homemade FSG, I normally use KCKT and KCCC. I use Elucence MBC as well, so I normally take a pea-sized amount of the KCKT and put it on towards the end of my shower time; then I'll detangle, get out of the shower, and apply my KCCC/BRHG. The KCCC helps define my curls, however, I'm weary of using it by itself. The last time I tried using it alone, my hair was super poofy. That may have been due to the high dews though. :happy8: I found that BRHG is the only gel that really holds my curls for an extended amount of time, so I believe you should buy the small 4oz bottle of it and see how it works for your hair.

Another thing I found helps with frizz is REFUSING to touch your hair while its wet. I know this is so commonly said, but in my personal experience, I find this so difficult to do, and I'm sure many curlies, and even wavies like us, have a problem with this also. :happy7: Plopping doesn't work for a lot of people, but I found just squeezing out the excess water with a microfiber towel (or even just my regular towel if I'm feeling lazy) after I've applied my products to soaking wet hair is just as efficient as plopping would be to people that can actually do it!

I hope I've helped at least a little bit! I totally empathize with your frizz issues, I've been having the same issue lately too, especially with summer just around the corner! Just make sure to keep the right balance of protein to moisture; it just takes a long time to learn how your hair reacts to techniques and products, but the more you listen to what your hair likes, the easier it'll be to control it. Give it time, experiment, and embrace your curls! :geek:

Hi c0mpanion,

Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed post!

I actually have not done a hair analysis :shock: where did you request yours?

I have been reaching for Elucence rather than the L'oreal or Redken lines, for those very reasons (I checked their ingredients after reading some of the posts written here). I am curious to hear about your experience with the Elucence volume clarifying shampoo. Is it something you use every time you wash your hair? Can you compare it to their moisture benefits shampoo?

I have used KCKT as a leave in with Suave's cream curl mousse (decent results, some frizz), and alone (undefined, poofy), but mostly I recall it being difficult to figure out the appropriate amount to use. I have never tried it with KCCC, I'm mostly concerned about the amount required for my hair. I feel as though too much may look stringy and oily, too little may do nothing at all.

I'm nearby Dadeland mall and hadn't thought to look into Bed, Bath and Beyond for BRHG, thank you! I had been stalking Marshall's stores for weeks, thinking they might bring it back :[

Ugh.. I just wish it wasn't so tedious testing out a seemingly infinite number of hair-product cocktails to see which one works: in which environment, at what time of day, in what order, in what concentration, using specific application methods, when the stars have aligned and the angels are singing! It's exhausting :confused2: not to mention expensive.

• xarielxariel Posts: 31Registered Users
    Correction: Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are preservatives, though commonly mistaken for silicones.
    Mod CG since '09. CG as of 02/27/14.
    Medium texture, normal-low porosity, normal elasticity and density
    Products: VO5 KL (co-wash), GVPCB (RO/DT), SN (RO/LI), KCCC/BRHG/AVG (stylers)
    Techniques: Mod-IceQueen, Plopping (FST), Octopus clip roots, SOTC; Double pineapple
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    xariel wrote: »
    Correction: Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone are preservatives, though commonly mistaken for silicones.

The shampoo actually has cones in it - one each of non-water and water soluble.

However it seems to have 3 cleansing ingredients for some reason. I find shampoos with multiple cleansing ingredients tend to be more or as drying as sulphate shampoos.
  • Tripgirl3aTripgirl3a Posts: 201Registered Users
    Have you tried something like dr bronners soap? I hear it's a good shampoo
    Tripgirl3a wrote: »
    Have you tried something like dr bronners soap? I hear it's a good shampoo

I'm not really looking for a new shampoo. Just was interested in hearing about the other Elucence one. I do use the Tea Tree Dr. Bronners, but never on my hair, I always envisioned it being quite drying on hair. Since I've never used it, I can't comment on its effectiveness :silent:

Hi c0mpanion,

Thank you so much for the incredibly detailed post!

I actually have not done a hair analysis :shock: where did you request yours?

I have been reaching for Elucence rather than the L'oreal or Redken lines, for those very reasons (I checked their ingredients after reading some of the posts written here). I am curious to hear about your experience with the Elucence volume clarifying shampoo. Is it something you use every time you wash your hair? Can you compare it to their moisture benefits shampoo?

I have used KCKT as a leave in with Suave's cream curl mousse (decent results, some frizz), and alone (undefined, poofy), but mostly I recall it being difficult to figure out the appropriate amount to use. I have never tried it with KCCC, I'm mostly concerned about the amount required for my hair. I feel as though too much may look stringy and oily, too little may do nothing at all.

I'm nearby Dadeland mall and hadn't thought to look into Bed, Bath and Beyond for BRHG, thank you! I had been stalking Marshall's stores for weeks, thinking they might bring it back :[

Ugh.. I just wish it wasn't so tedious testing out a seemingly infinite number of hair-product cocktails to see which one works: in which environment, at what time of day, in what order, in what concentration, using specific application methods, when the stars have aligned and the angels are singing! It's exhausting :confused2: not to mention expensive.

I completely understand your frustration! It's the same for me, all the time. I have a really hard time getting a good hair day because I always wash at night, so when I sleep on my hair (even in a pineapple), it's messed up by morning and I always end up leaving it in a ponytail! :sad6:

For the hair analysis, most of us curlies get it done by "Live Curly Live Free." They charge about $20 to do it, but I think it's totally worth the money. Personally, I haven't done a hair analysis as of yet, which makes me sound like a hypocrite, but I know my hair properties because I've figured out what my hair likes and doesn't like. I'm pretty sure I'm right about most of it. For example, I know I'm low porosity because my hair HATES oils and takes 4-6 hours to dry fully without the assistance of a blow dryer or plopping. I know my hair is BABY FINE because of how easily it breaks and how I can barely see it when holding it up to the light.The only thing I'm not totally sure of is my elasticity, which isn't that big of a concern for me. I went through a lot of trial and error and I'm pretty much done being a product junkie (for now). However, since you're just starting off trying to find the right products, a hair analysis is probably much more beneficial for you since they tell you the product ingredients that your hair likes and dislikes.

I've heard people have had a lot of problems with KCCC in conjunction with the KCKT, and I KNOW this is because of the amount they're using. For the KCKT, I use a pea-sized amount on the bottom half of my hair. ONLY a pea-sized amount, however, because if I use more than that, I'll get out of the shower with greasy ends. I've never had a problem with the amount of KCCC I use. I read from the beginning that you should always start of with a teeny-tiny amount and then go from there. Less is more, especially with the KCCC. If you don't have KCCC already and you want to buy it, I highly recommend it. It may vary from person to person depending on their hair, but since your hair is similar, you could always try it the way I do it. The way I use KCCC goes like this: I take my thumb, my forefinger, and my middle finger and pinch enough so that there's a little less than a pea-sized amount of it on my fingers. After that, I rub it onto the fingers on my other hand. It should lightly glaze the tips of your fingers, but if there's a thick layer, I've found that it makes your hair super greasy. After that, I ONLY apply it to the bottom half of my head, just below my ears. Like I said, I have fine hair so I'm always very cautious with product amounts.

Anyways, the Elucence Clarifying Shampoo is pretty nice! It's concentrated, so you only need to use about a dime-nickel sized amount for your ENTIRE head. I always end up using a bit more because I have a hard time spreading it out, but I'm sure you could dilute it a bit to make sure you use less. Since it's concentrated, the bottle lasts AGES. I've used it about 8 times so far, and I still have 95% of the bottle left. You don't use it every time you wash. I use it maybe once a week due to the hard water we have in Miami. Since my hair is fine, and low porosity at that, I probably have to use it more than you would. You could probably get away with using it every 2-3 weeks, or even every month. If you're using products with cetyl esters, I suggest you chelate/clarify a little more often because of the build up. Basically, if you were to buy the clarifying shampoo, just use it whenever you feel like your hair is going "bleh." I always grab my apple cider vinegar or this shampoo when my hair is acting up and it usually fixes the problem. :toothy5:

I can't say how it compares to the Moisture Benefits Shampoo because I don't have that one. I was looking into buying it but the one tiny sulfate made me reconsider, which is why I bought the Jessicurl shampoo. Is the shampoo drying? The only sulfate I've used since my CG journey is the one in my clarifying shampoo which I use sparingly. I've heard it's a really good shampoo! I just don't wanna buy it not knowing what I'm getting into. :color: I can't cowash at all, so I rely on my low-poos to do the job without stripping my hair!

It's all about experimentation! I know it's rough figuring out what works for your hair. Believe me, I went through months of hell figuring it all out. I went through a lot of different products at first, but once I figured out what my hair was telling me, I got a routine going and it got so much easier. I promise you, it gets better. Just do something a little different each day. It's like working out or getting into a pool colder than the temperature outside- you have to ease your way into it! It's much more efficient and it's totally worth it! :love10:
    low-poos
    Live Curly Live Free are not offering their manual hair analysis anymore.

Wavies and curlies have been using Goosefootprints on Etsy for some months now, it seems to be more in depth and more accurate (uses a microscope) yet inexpensive.

Live Curly Live Free are not offering their manual hair analysis anymore.

Wavies and curlies have been using Goosefootprints on Etsy for some months now, it seems to be more in depth and more accurate (uses a microscope) yet inexpensive.

Oops! Thanks for correcting me! Sorry for the error! :tongue5: Gosh, I'm bad at advice!
    low-poos
    Not bad at all, keep posting. We need lots of us to be welcoming and to update each others knowledge, lord knows I make mistakes or forget to mention something vital many a time!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file