Deva Cut - Never again!

I went and got a deva cut for the 2nd time yesterday and I am so frustrated right now. My hair doesn't curl as much on the sides, so it tends to look longer on the sides then in the back. I told the stylist this and she could see this and was in agreement to do more of "V" shape with my hair. Well she didn't give me a "V" cut. It looks horrible and now I wasted $65. I want to grow it out and now it's shorter and if I get it cut again, it will be even shorter. I know it's just hair and it will grow back, but in the mean time what do I do?! UGH! Here's a lovely picture of it.

Comments

• gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    Geez - Deva-cuts around here cost $100.00! Are you sure it's really a Deva cut? If I were you I'd question the stylist, especially because she didn't listen to your input. Hopefully she'll give you a discount, at least.
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    ^ Along the same lines, our standard for Deva cuts here start at $85 (this is after the first session, the first is $150). We do have a stylist who charges $65 in the same city as the one that I went to, but looking at her photos on her facebook, she doesn't do too well of work. She also, I think, doesn't have all of the overhead a normal salon would have - so there are things to take into account.

Sadly, if you want this fixed, you will probably need to take off some of the length, even if you don't want to. I just went through this as well - not with a Deva stylist, but a Deva stylist fixed me up and took off a lot of hair to fix it, and it still wasn't completely fixed.

Now I've got my 2nd cut, and I feel uneven. Well, I *am* uneven, but it's pretty noticeable. My hair was curling different when I got it cut than it is now - that can also affect the cut. Is this picture after you styled it yourself? I'm not fond of the Deva cuts anymore, my OCD tendencies cannot take it. I do love the concept, but sometimes it doesn't turn out very practical.

I would call the stylist back and ask her to fix it. If you have to, guide her to the exact spots you want her to fix.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    btw - Please don't think I was implying your hair looks bad! I wasn't. In fact, in the picture you posted I don't see anything that looks bad. I completely understand your frustration, though. Believe me! I've had some doozies when it came to cuts, and I usually wound up having to chop my hair.

What I meant was, if your stylist claimed to be a "real" Deva stylist, and she's not, you should get all your money back! That's a "false contract". I say this only because $65 is really inexpensive for a Deva cut...anywhere.

Last time I had a very, very similar disaster (I looked like I had a fuzzy mullet), I refused to cut off my long hair. I put it up on days when the "look" was particularly bad, but otherwise I just kind of worked the long hairs into the short parts. With curly hair we can get away with things straight hair couldn't accomplish.

You definitely need to let the stylist know you think she did a horrible job. Maybe her supervisor needs to know as well.;-)
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had a really bad deva cut once too, my hair was absolutely butchered and it was cut so short, that unless I wanted a pixie (no) I just had to wait several months until it grew long enough so someone else could fix it, fortunately it was winter, so I just wore a hat all the time when in public (yes it was that bad). I didn't trust that stylist to fix my hair, I found someone else, someone who did curls but wasn't deva trained. But I don't think it had anything to do with deva cuts (because I've also had very good deva cuts), but more to do with an incompetent stylist.
  • aj0524aj0524 Posts: 5Registered Users
    No offense taken from your post gardencurls! :) She's a Deva Inspired Advanced Stylist according to the Deva Curl website. Whatever that means, lol. Supposively doing this for years now.

This was after I styled it, but it was uneven after I got home yesterday after the cut and I was hoping it would look better today. My hair has a tendency to be like this anyway with a regular straight cut, because my curls are different on the side vs. the back, which is why I suggested her cutting it in a "V" or "U" shape. I'm just frustrated because she didn't listen to me and now my hair is shorter then I wanted in the back.

I'm tempted to just go to Holiday Hair and get the length straightened out. I will at least have an even hair cut and I'll just have to deal with the back of my curls being shorter some days then the sides. :?

Now I have to find another stylist. I wasn't fond of the last one either. I knew I shouldn't have gone to this appointment, gut feeling. UGH! I won't go back there either, even for her to fix it. Who knows what I'll look like then!
  • hambo02hambo02 Posts: 480Registered Users
    yep i just got one near xmas and the same thing happened to me. She swore she wasn't gonna take any length off and i looked on the floor it was all gone. She left two sides very long, my ends are very thin, and chopped chunks off my hair and its all choppy. I hate it. Next time I see her I will tell her too because If I ever get my hair dyed, im going to the guy who is next to her that does my moms hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file