Help much appreciated! Information overload! So confused!

I have just started cg - for about a week and a half. I have been using mousse to style it, HOWEVER I have NO idea what my hair type would be! Some places it is clearly wavy, but others it looks more curly? Will it get better with time? I have no clue if I am styling it correctly because I don't really know my hair type. Sorry for the poor quality images! I don't have a nice camera! And my hair is a wreck..but that is what I'm hoping to change! Anyway, styling tips/ or help figuring out hair type would be SO helpful! Thanks!ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1393435957.852168.jpg ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1393435975.175856.jpg

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you don't know your hair properties, check out the deva curl website. They have a 3 step system of products that are for everyone regardless of hair properties or curl type. I've found a lot of helpful information from there as well as here.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    This is a great place to start to learn about hair properties:
    Curly Hair Tips, Styles & Products - NaturallyCurly

Many people have different curl patterns on their head, I personally have 3 or 4, depending on the day. This is normal. Over a span of about 3 months, my hair went from mostly waves with a little curl to more curl and more waves. It does take a bit of time to see improvement, but you may still have different curl patterns.

I would say porosity is the main factor to figure when it comes to hair properties, not the actual curl pattern.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You look like a mix of 2b and 2c, but as others are saying hair properties are more important. The DIY porosity tests are junk science, consider instead how hair behaves.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair pattern actually looks really similar to mine. I have a mix of all the 2's (a,b,c). For me, the biggest challenge is getting it consistent and usually it isn't. Using a diffuser helps a LOT for me with consistency. Have you used one?

Technique is just as important as products, but take it slowly and only change one thing at a time so you can pinpoint what is working and what is not working for you. There are some great threads on here with a whole list of techniques.
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
  • ThweavThweav Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thank you so much or the helpful information! I will definitely look into the links and products you all listed! I haven't used a diffuser recently, but maybe I will pull mine out again and see if that helps. I will definitely try different things slowly so I can figure out what is working for me. Thanks again for the tips and the help!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @Thweav make a list of what works and doesn't work for your hair especially product ingredients as it will save you stress and money when products are reformulated.
    Blueblood good idea, I will have to do that. I will admit though the ingredient lists overwhelm me lol
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thweav wrote: »
    Blueblood good idea, I will have to do that. I will admit though the ingredient lists overwhelm me lol

You just need to put ingredients in generic groups i.e. proteins, silicones then break them down if you notice for example that PEG silicones work for you but those which are not water soluble don't.
    Blueblood wrote: »
    Thweav wrote: »

You just need to put ingredients in generic groups i.e. proteins, silicones then break them down if you notice for example that PEG silicones work for you but those which are not water soluble don't.

Thanks that helps a lot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file