Henna or Shea Moisture Dye?

twistedgirltwistedgirl Registered Users Posts: 87 Curl Neophyte
I've been hena-ing my hair for the last year using LUSH caca marron, mostly in order to cover the greys I have. This henna turns the greys to gold, which im not too picky about, as long as its not grey. However, my hair grows fast and I am not up to doing a henna treatment on my hair once a month, it takes waay to long. Plus, the henna also starts to fade, once again revealing the greys. I have virgin hair and its very healthy, so I've been really hesitant to chemically dye it.

My question is: are there any hennas (metal free) that I can use that will cover the greys (aka make them the same color as my hair, not gold)? Or do you think I'd be better off just dying it? I've heard some pretty good reviews about the shea moisture dye. For me it might be easier to just use this as it would completely cover the greys, and I could do touchups every 2-3 months so its not as time consuming.

Again though, I'm hesitant to use dyes because i don't want to damage my hair, but so far the henna hasn't been giving me the results I want.

Opinions?

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    When using henna, you need a Body Art Quality henna. If it doesn't say it's BAQ, then it's not. I don't see it listed on the LUSH website.

You can get BAQ henna from places like mehandi.com or hennacaravan.com

Look at the lawsone % content. The higher the lawsone content, the more it will cover grays. I get the Rajasthani Twilight, and it covers grays beautifully and never fades.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Henna is orangey-red and should not fade, anything else is not pure henna. Henna darkens slightly the first few days, darkens with heat styling and in repeat applications - as far as burgundy.

You haven't actually said what colour your natural is so there's no way to advise you on other options.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    You can also get BAQ henna from Henna Sooq.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • twistedgirltwistedgirl Registered Users Posts: 87 Curl Neophyte
    Henna is orangey-red and should not fade, anything else is not pure henna. Henna darkens slightly the first few days, darkens with heat styling and in repeat applications - as far as burgundy.

You haven't actually said what colour your natural is so there's no way to advise you on other options.

My natural haircolor is dark chestnut brown, I've been using the LUSH Caca Marron, which makes it have more orangey/red undertones.

Does BAQ henna contain metallic salts? I'm assuming 100% pure/natural henna wouldnt...? I want to make sure that if I am henna-ing and should I choose to dye my hair in the future, the henna doesn't have metals in it as that can really screw with hairdye.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    BAQ henna will not screw with hair dye. Its the non BAQ that causes problems.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • CallyCally Registered Users Posts: 58
    You could do a henna and indigo 2 step process to get a brown color. But that tends to be a lot of work and time consuming. Freezing your left over dye released henna makes it a little quicker. Don't have to mix and wait for dye release everytime. Also if you are just doing roots you could freeze the henna in small portions using plastic bags or ice cube tray. BAQ henna isn't supposed to fade. Goodluck
    Fine 2c-3a Curls
    Normal porosity/ Medium density
    Henna over color-treated hair
    Not currently CG :(
    Poo: Pureology hydrate
    RO: Pureology hydrate
    LI: HSH Tri-wheat spray
    DT: Coconut oil
    PT: Henna/Cassia
    Styler: AG recoil/mousse-gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list