We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Diffusing fine hair

waymire01waymire01 Posts: 117Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have very fine 3A hair. Porous, generally weak curls (pull out easily with tension), hate protein. Also have build up/breakout issues with butters, coconut oil, argan oil, and polyquats.

I have my routine down, but I'm getting tired of walking around with wet hair on wash day, especially with the cold weather, so I want to start diffusing. The issue I have is that my curls fall apart, not so much frizz as just little strings of curls, and nowhere near the definition/curl I get from air drying. I usually conditioner style, gel is not my friend since it adds hours to my dry time and seriously affects multi day hair. My second day hair is always on the flat side, but bounces back very well with rehydration, with gel it stays flat and feels nasty. The only one I've found that I like is my HE tousle me softly spray gel.. and then only on second or third day hair because the day after I use it it's updo or nothing. I was hoping someone could suggest a product or technique that would help hold everything together during diffusing. I've tried aloe vera gel but it didn't help much. My dryer could be part of the problem, I only have high and low settings for both air and temp, and it has a very difficult two part sliding switch which makes the "pixiecurl" method impossible, it takes two hands and quite a bit of effort while actually looking at the switch to turn it on/off and get it on the right setting at the same time. I do try very hard not to move it around while it's on my hair or blow the hair around any more than necessary when changing sections. Although my hair is below my shoulders in the back and 3-4 inches longer in the front it is highly layered so I also find it difficult to gather it into a clump and get it all in the diffuser at once. Reasonably priced dryer suggestions would also be appreciated.. I chose mine simply because it was one of the few at the store that came with a nice big diffuser.

I've considered pincurls before diffusing, has anyone ever tried that?
3A, fine, porous, colored, protein sensitive
Buildup/breakout with: butters, coconut/argan oil, polyquats.
Poo:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
RO/CoW/DT/LI: TRESemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,753Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I diffuse I don't touch my hair at all with the dryer (I actually have a sock diffuser so can't anyway) I just blow it from a few inches away until it's dry. I leave it for an hour or so to air dry first then spend a few minutes with the diffuser. This works well for me, if I use a bowl diffuser and put the curls in it it just gets frizzy and I start to lose definition. My hair's fine and porous too and doesn't like too much protein, though I do have a pretty strong curl pattern.
    3b in South Australia.
  • WeeladyWeelady Posts: 14Registered Users
    I've been doing all different things to my daughters hair to see what's right for her

We live in uk so it's very cold here at the moment!
    But I've been washing her hair at night plopping then putting product on her hair then before bed putting it in a pineapple and her hair is fantastic in the morning
  • waymire01waymire01 Posts: 117Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Weelady wrote: »
    I've been doing all different things to my daughters hair to see what's right for her

We live in uk so it's very cold here at the moment!
    But I've been washing her hair at night plopping then putting product on her hair then before bed putting it in a pineapple and her hair is fantastic in the morning

Plopping does not work for me, it just smashes/flattens my curl. I do turban it (loosely with my towel, turbie twist type turbans are too tight and flatten out the curl) right after I wash, for 30 minutes or so while I finish getting dressed, it pulls my hair up off my scalp and gives it volume, also removes the bulk of the moisture. Pineapples also do not work.. first they give me terrible headaches (I can't even wear a high pony or bun for too long, maybe six hours max), and second they flatten all the hair pulled taut, I wind up with straight to barely wavy hair up to the point of the fastener, then a huge dent, then a curly mess at the ends. Not cute. It's even crazier if I let it dry that way, all the hair keeps the exact same shape it dried in.. the hilarious mental picture you have is accurate, lol, I look like one of the "Whos" from the Grinch movie. Thank you for the feedback though, I know a lot of people with stronger curl get great results from that technique.

• SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was going to ask about your towel if it was microfiber or terrycloth, but not sure that would be the issue anyway. I have fine hair and it depends on what gel I use in terms of long-term curls holding up.
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, plopping flattens/smashes your curls. But gravity pulls them down once you take your hair out of the plop. If it needs a little help, pull it back briefly as if you were making a ponytail once or twice.

KCCC or LA Looks Sports Gel are good gels to use when drying using the pixiecurl or JessiCurl method. They may seem strong, but hold the clumps together well. Dry only to 85-90%, then let your hair air-dry the rest of the way to prevent frizz, then scrunch out any remaining crunch, and the gelcast will break and fall away.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm posting dryer information separately because I find links much harder to do on my tablet, so I switched to my computer for this.

I had issues with my old dryer too, so I started looking at hairdryers late last fall. The professional ones come with a higher price tag, but some of the features which seemed quite desirable aren't found on the low end dryers found in drugstores and bigbox stores. I ended up getting a SuperSolano 3500 Lite from Folica.com. I love the dryer! It has separate heat and airspeed switches. They're not marked, but I consider the heat settings cool, warm, and very warm – even the hottest setting isn't too hot for my skin. On low speed, it dries my hair in a really reasonable period of time on the warm setting. It's $130, but Folica always has some sort of discount offer (today that's 25% off using code "25FEB. For sending them my old dryer to recycle, I got another $40 off. Shipping is free over $50. NAYY (The FHI Heat Nano Weight Pro 1900 is another hairdryer which was very tempting, and has a lot of fans here.)

IMO the dividing line with dryers is whether it has a ceramic heater. They put out gentler, more even, radiant heat, with negative ions. My hair actually feels stronger and looks glossier when I've used it.

I got the Solano diffuser which is supposed to go with their dryers, and found it worse than useless. Almost no air or heat got through to my hair. So I sent it back and got this diffuser, which I've been completely happy with.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    SaMmIe10 wrote: »
    I was going to ask about your towel if it was microfiber or terrycloth, but not sure that would be the issue anyway. I have fine hair and it depends on what gel I use in terms of long-term curls holding up.

Yep, I actually get them at the auto supply store (crazy I know). I like the ones that are "furry" on one side, I find the furry texture keeps my curls together better.. and they are much larger than the ones I have seen actually designed for hair.. and much less expensive.

What are your favorite gels?

Yes, plopping flattens/smashes your curls. But gravity pulls them down once you take your hair out of the plop. If it needs a little help, pull it back briefly as if you were making a ponytail once or twice.

KCCC or LA Looks Sports Gel are good gels to use when drying using the pixiecurl or JessiCurl method. They may seem strong, but hold the clumps together well. Dry only to 85-90%, then let your hair air-dry the rest of the way to prevent frizz, then scrunch out any remaining crunch, and the gelcast will break and fall away.
    I guess I should define "smashing". My curls are large and spiral, like a spring. When I plop I get flat s-shapes, instead of a 3D coil. It literally smashes them like flattening a can. I have wussie curls, lol.

I'm posting dryer information separately because I find links much harder to do on my tablet, so I switched to my computer for this.

I had issues with my old dryer too, so I started looking at hairdryers late last fall. The professional ones come with a higher price tag, but some of the features which seemed quite desirable aren't found on the low end dryers found in drugstores and bigbox stores. I ended up getting a SuperSolano 3500 Lite from Folica.com. I love the dryer! It has separate heat and airspeed switches. They're not marked, but I consider the heat settings cool, warm, and very warm – even the hottest setting isn't too hot for my skin. On low speed, it dries my hair in a really reasonable period of time on the warm setting. It's $130, but Folica always has some sort of discount offer (today that's 25% off using code "25FEB. For sending them my old dryer to recycle, I got another $40 off. Shipping is free over $50. NAYY (The FHI Heat Nano Weight Pro 1900 is another hairdryer which was very tempting, and has a lot of fans here.)

IMO the dividing line with dryers is whether it has a ceramic heater. They put out gentler, more even, radiant heat, with negative ions. My hair actually feels stronger and looks glossier when I've used it.

I got the Solano diffuser which is supposed to go with their dryers, and found it worse than useless. Almost no air or heat got through to my hair. So I sent it back and got this diffuser, which I've been completely happy with.
    Ah.. ceramic heater. Never thought of that. Back when I used to straighten my hair that was the deciding factor for my hair.. had to be ceramic or else I wound up with static and frizz like nobody's business. Will look into that asap. If my dryer is not.. that could very well be a lot of the problem and a new dryer is in order.

Just an update: I checked out my dryer.. it IS a ceramic heater. I got much better results on my last wash by avoiding putting my hair in the diffuser and just sticking the diffuser straight on my scalp letting the length stick out around it. I also did not dry upside down. It does not dry all of my hair, but my ends dry pretty fast and it gets the roots where it takes the longest to dry. Takes me from about 5 hours to totally dry to about an hour and it also retained my root curl. The ends were not as nice as air dry, but much better than before.

• SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To answer your question about gels ... I used to love Deva Light Defining Gel, but it's expensive. I just tried Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel today and it worked REALLY well. I had lots of curl today and has held up really well. I also had good root curl.
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
    SaMmIe10 wrote: »
    To answer your question about gels ... I used to love Deva Light Defining Gel, but it's expensive. I just tried Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel today and it worked REALLY well. I had lots of curl today and has held up really well. I also had good root curl.
    I need to try that HE gel.. I do like their spray gel and find it does not gunk up my hair nearly as bad as others I've tried. Achieving good root curl seems to be key for me, I always have better retention when I get that part right.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file