how to determine if..

angeliees7angeliees7 Posts: 45Registered Users
my hair is craving protein??
like, im still new & im just like .__. what lol...

blessed ➰

Comments

• lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Being new I'm not sure- I didn't realize my favorite products pre cg method had proteins for instance. Then I went curly girl and didn't realize I needed treatments until I tried one. My curls were less frizzy, and they appeared tighter. Maybe I'd even venture to say bouncier and thicker looking?

It won't hurt to just try a treatment. Be ready though- so if your hair feels rough or stiff after you apply/rinse do some kind of conditioning treatment. I usually always do the conditioner after my protein anyway as it seems to be the least likely way to have big problems.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    lolo has great advice!

How I personally determine is if my curls need a pick-me-up from what they usually are. I agree with the above about not really knowing until you try one. You'll know if it's for you or not by how your hair feels. If it's dry, deep condition and cool it for a while. If it feels amazing and your curls spring up a bit, then you know you've done a great thing.

However, I'm not really feeling the whole protein craving and sensitive thing. If your hair needs protein now, that doesn't mean it will need it in a year. If your hair does not need protein, that doesn't mean you won't need it in 6 months.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • angeliees7angeliees7 Posts: 45Registered Users
    - what treatments or products do you recommend?
    - can this be professionally done meaning should or will my stylist inform me if i need one?
    - my roots are curly but im 4 months today (YAAAAY)

blessed ➰
  • lolo918lolo918 Posts: 729Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Treatments/products: I love iagirl's treatment. You just need small amounts of oil and apple cider vinegar mixed with unflavored gelatin that you dissolve in boiling water. I usually google "iagirl's gelatin treatment" to get the recipe from her blog science-y hair blog. I just got but haven't tried thr aphogee 2 step treatment. A product I used pre curly girl was the ORS replenishing pac which moisturized and had light protein. Daily though, I was also using the cantu leave-in which was another light protein treatment. I bought and didn't really like the shea moisture yucca mask which also has protein.

I'm not sure about your stylist question- I've never had that happen with a stylist for me. I've always done treatments at home and the last time I saw a stylist I was still transitioning.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most stylists don't really know a lot about conditioning natural hair plus some treatments such as coconut oil need hours to work.
  • UtopianonawaUtopianonawa Posts: 75Registered Users
    I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if my hair is protein sensitive or not. I assumed my hair (specifically my ends) needed protein after being bleached.

I did the aphohee 2 step treatment and my hair actually come out really soft. If anything it was softer before I followed up with a deep condition. I used the organic root stimulator (I think that's it) hair mayonnaise which I know has protein in, and I know your not supposed to condition with protein or even use protein products after a treatment, but it was all I had at the time.

Based off that I would think my hair likes protein, but I've found that my hair is constantly dry no matter what I do, I've tried to focus on putting moisture in my hair and it doesn't seem to do anything. I've noticed a lot of products make my hair very crusty and hard, all gels, and even flax seed gel. My biggest problem is that I can't figure out what products even have protein in them.

I've done other light protein treatments after that first one but I haven't noticed any changes in my hair at all.

How do you figure out what your hair needs when it feels the same no matter what you use.

The saddest part is my hair felt better after I bleached it then it does now
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if my hair is protein sensitive or not. I assumed my hair (specifically my ends) needed protein after being bleached.

I did the aphohee 2 step treatment and my hair actually come out really soft. If anything it was softer before I followed up with a deep condition. I used the organic root stimulator (I think that's it) hair mayonnaise which I know has protein in, and I know your not supposed to condition with protein or even use protein products after a treatment, but it was all I had at the time.

Based off that I would think my hair likes protein, but I've found that my hair is constantly dry no matter what I do, I've tried to focus on putting moisture in my hair and it doesn't seem to do anything. I've noticed a lot of products make my hair very crusty and hard, all gels, and even flax seed gel. My biggest problem is that I can't figure out what products even have protein in them.

I've done other light protein treatments after that first one but I haven't noticed any changes in my hair at all.

How do you figure out what your hair needs when it feels the same no matter what you use.

Hi! How long ago did you bleach your hair? If it's been at least a few months that would explain why it felt better before, you may have been using products that "patched" up the gaps left in the cuticle (or even in the cortex) and it took a while for you to notice the damage.

Geek_Chick explained how to identify proteins in detail in this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-sensitive/172801-just-realizing.html#post2277555

I recommend that you continue to use PT for as long as you have any of the previously bleached hair. And I want to ask, do you use any oil on your hair regularly? If so, do you "seal" your hair after using a moisturizing DT or even a LI?

A gel that's gentle and moisturizing is ORS Lock & Twist, it's kind of like a "custard" (has coconut milk in it). You can always try to make a "custard" at home yourself, go to Youtube and do a search for "how to make Ecostyler custard". You don't really have to use that brand if you don't have it, I've mixed a LAL one for "spikes" with OO to soften it and it's worked well. Just go easy on the oil until you try it so you won't overdo it, you can always add more later.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was recommended to try some LIGHT protein treatments to see how my hair responded to those. I went out and got Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner (basically moisture-protein balance) and used that as a RO (left it on for 1-2 min) and then followed up with a moisturizing conditioner.

My curls LOVED it. They came out less frizzy and thicker (kinda like Lolo's) and my hair's been pretty soft all day.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was recommended to try some LIGHT protein treatments to see how my hair responded to those. I went out and got Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner (basically moisture-protein balance) and used that as a RO (left it on for 1-2 min) and then followed up with a moisturizing conditioner.

My curls LOVED it. They came out less frizzy and thicker (kinda like Lolo's) and my hair's been pretty soft all day.

I *just* saw this conditioner today at a local health store. I was trying not to spend $, so I passed it up. However, now you're making me want to try it. I think another trip to the store may be in order soon. :)

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    That reminded me that after reading one of Paula Begoun's books in the late '90s I bought a book by "Mr. Aubrey" which gave me awareness of bad ingredients in hair products... Although I feel now that maybe he exaggerated a bit about some of those ingredients since the book ended up promoting his products...
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.

• UtopianonawaUtopianonawa Posts: 75Registered Users

Hi! How long ago did you bleach your hair? If it's been at least a few months that would explain why it felt better before, you may have been using products that "patched" up the gaps left in the cuticle (or even in the cortex) and it took a while for you to notice the damage.

Geek_Chick explained how to identify proteins in detail in this thread: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/protein-sensitive/172801-just-realizing.html#post2277555

I recommend that you continue to use PT for as long as you have any of the previously bleached hair. And I want to ask, do you use any oil on your hair regularly? If so, do you "seal" your hair after using a moisturizing DT or even a LI?

A gel that's gentle and moisturizing is ORS Lock & Twist, it's kind of like a "custard" (has coconut milk in it). You can always try to make a "custard" at home yourself, go to Youtube and do a search for "how to make Ecostyler custard". You don't really have to use that brand if you don't have it, I've mixed a LAL one for "spikes" with OO to soften it and it's worked well. Just go easy on the oil until you try it so you won't overdo it, you can always add more later.

I bleached the lower part of my hair in November 2013. I've done several protein treatments since but none have come out as nicely as the first did. I need to do more but I don't have any money I haven't been able to work. It's rough trying to fix damaged hair with no money lol. I usually seal my hair with shea butter and coconut oil. I don't do it every day though. I should but I'm lazy

That custard idea is a good idea. I really want to love ecostyler but it makes my hair so dry, but I'd love to try it mixed with other stuff and see how that works
    I bleached the lower part of my hair in November 2013. I've done several protein treatments since but none have come out as nicely as the first did. I need to do more but I don't have any money I haven't been able to work. It's rough trying to fix damaged hair with no money lol. I usually seal my hair with shea butter and coconut oil. I don't do it every day though. I should but I'm lazy

That custard idea is a good idea. I really want to love ecostyler but it makes my hair so dry, but I'd love to try it mixed with other stuff and see how that works

Can you maybe afford a box of Knox Unflavored Gelatin? Here's an old thread that includes a PT recipe that is very inexpensive?

Also, something I've been using with good results is V05 KLS CO not just as a co-wash but as a LI, it has hydrolyzed collagen (gelatin is derived from collagen). The way I use it as a LI is by adding a few drops of c.o., I not only love the scent, which stays with me for even days, but it leaves my hair very moisturized and the curls well defined and frizz-free. In fact, I'm going to rinse my hair off as soon as I finish this post, earlier today I used a cheap mousse after a RO and that made my hair all frizzy and the only way I could calm it down was by smoothing some of it over my hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file