HELP? What's wrong with my hair?

Hello, everyone. This is my first time here - though I'm alway reading through the forum and the website, I've never actually written anything. But my hair is really stressing me out.
My natural hair is super super thin, and I got a lot of it. It's light brown, but currently bleached - kind of like a hardcore ombré. I think my type is 3A, but I'm not quite sure. Anyway. My hair is somewhat shiny and even soft, but it's just SO frizzy and my curls are all messed up - I end up having to put my hair in a ponytail most of the time, which causes breakage... and it's just a mess. What's going on? I feel like my hair is lacking something, I just don't know what it is. I deep condition it once or even twice a week.
I could post pictures if that would make it easier for you guys.
Thank you!!

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    By thin, do you mean your individual strands of hair are very thin and fine? Also, maybe you could tell us which products you're using at present. It sounds like your hair might need a bit more protein than it's getting right now, but once we see your products it might give a better idea.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    andimok wrote: »
    Hello, everyone. This is my first time here - though I'm alway reading through the forum and the website, I've never actually written anything. But my hair is really stressing me out.
    My natural hair is super super thin, and I got a lot of it. It's light brown, but currently bleached - kind of like a hardcore ombré. I think my type is 3A, but I'm not quite sure. Anyway. My hair is somewhat shiny and even soft, but it's just SO frizzy and my curls are all messed up - I end up having to put my hair in a ponytail most of the time, which causes breakage... and it's just a mess. What's going on? I feel like my hair is lacking something, I just don't know what it is. I deep condition it once or even twice a week.
    Thank you!!

Maybe it is overconditioned? My hair is fine (but I have lots of it) and I can't handle much conditioner at all. I really seen an improvement when I used Iagirls protein treatment. Maybe you could try that and see what happens.
  • andimokandimok Posts: 16Registered Users
    Yes, my strands are very thin. Everyone who's ever touched my hair went "wow, it's so thin!". Haha.
    And I'm from Brazil, I don't know if the products I use are international, but here we go:
    I use a purple shampoo once a week. Any purple shampoo, I don't have a favorite type/brand, but currently using Kevin Nichols by Mahogany. I don't really like shampoo as it dries out my hair, so this is the only one I use - once a week.
    My conditioner is Argan Oil Nutrition by ElisaFer - it contains 3 oils: argan, pracaxi and sesame.
    I sometimes moisturize my hair with 100% organic coconut oil.
    My deep conditioner is by Haskell, and it's supposed to do a whole lot of good stuff for curly hair. It's very nutritious.
    As for leave-in products, I'm always trying new things and haven't found anything I really like yet. So if you have any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently using a serum with moringa oil.

You probably don't know many of those products so I can give you a list of ingredients if you'd like.
    Bamagirl wrote: »
    Thank you!!

Maybe it is overconditioned? My hair is fine (but I have lots of it) and I can't handle much conditioner at all. I really seen an improvement when I used Iagirls protein treatment. Maybe you could try that and see what happens.

Overconditioned? Oh, that's news. I do condition my hair A LOT. And what's this lagirls protein treatment you talk about? :tongue5:
    I'm not sure if this will post well from my phone, but here's a link to the protein treatment.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You have fine hair but thick density. Fine hair is highly vulnerable to damage, including bleach and sun damage. Most intensive conditioners have little more than a cosmetic effect, they can't reverse damage to dead hair.

Proven beneficial ingredients in bleach damage include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. If a few weeks using server all if these in the form of leave in conditioners and deep treatments don't work you may need a haircut unfortunately.

Ponytails can be very damaging because the secure is always at the same point and the ends are not tucked: try loose buns using Spin Pins, beak clips, hair sticks or hair forks.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Oh, is it the one with gelatin? :sad7: I'm a vegetarian, can't use that. Do you know of any other homemade treatments that work well?
    You have fine hair but thick density. Fine hair is highly vulnerable to damage, including bleach and sun damage. Most intensive conditioners have little more than a cosmetic effect, they can't reverse damage to dead hair.

Proven beneficial ingredients in bleach damage include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. If a few weeks using server all if these in the form of leave in conditioners and deep treatments don't work you may need a haircut unfortunately.

Ponytails can be very damaging because the secure is always at the same point and the ends are not tucked: try loose buns using Spin Pins, beak clips, hair sticks or hair forks.

Thank you so much!!! I would post a photo of my hair but it won't let me since I'm a new user. It's not looking that bad, you know, I have some good hair days - but there are SO many hairs out of place all the time, it's extremely frizzy. I just want shiny defined curls, is that too much to ask for? :sad5:
    There are many commercial protein treatments which use hydrolysed vegetable proteins: wheat is very common, sometimes you will see soy.

There are no other rich natural food sources of hydrolysed protein, only gelatin.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    There are many commercial protein treatments which use hydrolysed vegetable proteins: wheat is very common, sometimes you will see soy.

There are no other rich natural food sources of hydrolysed protein, only gelatin.

Oh, man. I'll go shopping tomorrow and try to find some good leave-in conditioners. I'm thinking my hair just needs more after-shower care, so we'll see. Thanks.
  • waymire01waymire01 Posts: 117Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is extremely fine as well, colored, and also 3A.. and contrary to what it is supposed to do it hates protein. Even the slightest bit and I wind up with straight, frizzy, hard, straw-like hair. Never know until you try though. I had a really hard time when I went CG because almost everything normally suggested does not work on my hair. What it loves is a protein free conditioner with a lot of fatty alcohols and other light moisturizers, like aloe vera.. and glycerin. I wash (be really careful with the sulfates, I have to use them a couple times a month as well but consider pre-poo protection before at least on the ends), condition/detangle, rinse thoroughly, squeeze out the water and then put in a full pump of conditioner and a pea size amount of glycerin gel (aka personal lubricant.. sounds crazy, kills my frizz like nothing else). My hair is shoulder length and highly layered so if yours is longer you might need more. Be generous, it should be sopping with conditioner. Wrap it up and let it sit for a while then shake it out, fix your part/anything that is laying funny, and let it be until it's dry.

Ponytails are hard on your hair.. try a bun, braid, etc. they seem to be easier on mine. What you tie it with makes a difference as well, the softer the better.
    3A, fine, porous, colored, protein sensitive
    Buildup/breakout with: butters, coconut/argan oil, polyquats.
    Poo:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    RO/CoW/DT/LI: TRESemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner

Everything the others have said is great advice. In case you do want to explore the protein option, I found this.
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html?m=1
    waymire01 wrote: »
    My hair is extremely fine as well, colored, and also 3A.. and contrary to what it is supposed to do it hates protein. Even the slightest bit and I wind up with straight, frizzy, hard, straw-like hair. Never know until you try though. I had a really hard time when I went CG because almost everything normally suggested does not work on my hair. What it loves is a protein free conditioner with a lot of fatty alcohols and other light moisturizers, like aloe vera.. and glycerin. I wash (be really careful with the sulfates, I have to use them a couple times a month as well but consider pre-poo protection before at least on the ends), condition/detangle, rinse thoroughly, squeeze out the water and then put in a full pump of conditioner and a pea size amount of glycerin gel (aka personal lubricant.. sounds crazy, kills my frizz like nothing else). My hair is shoulder length and highly layered so if yours is longer you might need more. Be generous, it should be sopping with conditioner. Wrap it up and let it sit for a while then shake it out, fix your part/anything that is laying funny, and let it be until it's dry.

Ponytails are hard on your hair.. try a bun, braid, etc. they seem to be easier on mine. What you tie it with makes a difference as well, the softer the better.

Well, that's weird. Your hair sounds very similar to mine - now I don't know if I should try a protein treatment or go protein-free.
    Can you recommend me some products? I'm moving to California in May and that will make it a lot easier for me to find good ones. Everything in Brazil is 3x the price it should cost. Thank you!
    Everything the others have said is great advice. In case you do want to explore the protein option, I found this.
    Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin': Vegetarian Protein Treatment for Hair

Thank you so much!
    Here's a photo of my hair - it might help you figure out what what's wrong. image.jpg
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,417Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Stop bleaching it, and I am sure you will see a difference.
  • Jamieleigh93Jamieleigh93 Posts: 56Registered Users
    Stop bleaching it for a start. Let it grow out, don't worry about any difference in colour with your roots - it will pay off in the long run.
    Cut an inch or 2 off every 6 weeks (ish) it will keep your ends in good condition. Any hair that is dyed, relaxed, bleached etc IS damaged so, by stopping damaging routines will make your hair healthier.
    Wash your hair 1-3 times a week, only wash it when it actually needs it, deep condition only once a week, maybe with hair mayonnaise or cholesterol and "try" to wash your hair with "no poo shampoos and conditioners" without cones and sulphates.
    Since I'm not sure which products you'll have access to, especially if you're moving soon anyway, here's some more reading for you to do. :)
    http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/product%20ingredients.htm
    I don't really plan on stop bleaching it, unfortunately. I just want a way to make my hair as healthy as it can be that way. But anyway, you guys have been a GREAT help - I'm gonna try some new products and see where that takes me. Thank you once again. :)
    You can baby your hair to stop it getting more damaged (long hair forums talk about treating hair like fragile antique lace) but you cannot reverse the existing damage.

Hair is dead it does not regenerate like living skin can. Ultimately stopping bleaching IS the only way to get healthy hair (and that is coming from a hardcore dye head). Could you lighten less, not so blonde using a much weaker product?

Products with the right treatment ingredients can temporarily patch up your hair and make the surface feel nicer but do not confuse that with healthy hair.

You can baby your hair to stop it getting more damaged (long hair forums talk about treating hair like fragile antique lace) but you cannot reverse the existing damage.

Hair is dead it does not regenerate like living skin can. Ultimately stopping bleaching IS the only way to get healthy hair (and that is coming from a hardcore dye head). Could you lighten less, not so blonde using a much weaker product?

Products with the right treatment ingredients can temporarily patch up your hair and make the surface feel nicer but do not confuse that with healthy hair.

I might just want a nice surface, then. Haha. My hair is not unhealthy, it doesn't break off, it feels good - it just doesn't look that good.
  • Jamieleigh93Jamieleigh93 Posts: 56Registered Users

I might just want a nice surface, then. Haha. My hair is not unhealthy, it doesn't break off, it feels good - it just doesn't look that good.

Maybe cut a few inches off and see if that helps a little???? Or maybe wait longer before bleaching, use a less aggressive bleach and use as little as possible if bleaching is absolutely necessary, like I've already said and other posters you will not achieve healthy hair if you continue to bleach but you can look after it as much as possible :)
  • BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    If it were me, I would at least try a protein treatment. If I understand correctly, as long as your hair doesn't feel rough or like straw afterwards, then it needed the protein. If I also understand correctly, you can simply deep condition if it does feel that way, to get the balance back right. The reason I say if I understand correctly, is that I was hesitant to try the protein because I was scared it would mess up my hair, but bit the bullet last week and now my hair is behaving better as far as frizz. It's been raining for two days and I only have a little frizz where as before it would be awful and only a ponytail would make it look ok.
    All colour treated hair is less than healthy, absolutely including mine. Apparently one permanent dye job removes ~80% of the water resistant f-layer, and destroying the melanin pigment leaves holes in the cortex like a sponge. Damage is a spectrum: it is not simply healthy or split and breaking off (fried).

If you want a patched up cuticle use hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol and silicones.

[/QUOTE]

Well, that's weird. Your hair sounds very similar to mine - now I don't know if I should try a protein treatment or go protein-free.
    Can you recommend me some products? I'm moving to California in May and that will make it a lot easier for me to find good ones. Everything in Brazil is 3x the price it should cost. Thank you![/QUOTE]

All the products I use are in my signature. It's a very short list, lol, I tried DOZENS of different ones and settled on these very few. Aussie moist conditioner is the base of everything.. co wash, rinse out, and leave in. There are probably other conditioners out there that are similar in properties, but it was my HG before, I had some on hand, it's easy to get locally and cheap.. and it worked. It does have one modified silicone, but it does not build up on me.. perhaps if I never used sulfates, but since I have to anyway on occasion no matter what I use it's fine. I use the matching shampoo as needed to remove buildup, usually 2-3 times a month and only at the roots, rinsing through the ends. I use Shea moisture coconut and hibiscus shampoo every other wash, I adore it but I will break out if I use it any more often than that. The glycerin gel was my "breakthrough" product.. it kills my frizz. I relied heavily on silicones pre CG, and it's the only product I have found that is CG that gives me the same effect. Just don't use too much, and don't try to use it straight, mix it with leave in first.

Try protein, you will know right off if you have a problem with it, it makes my hair feel like I bleached, sulfate washed, blowdried, and flat ironed it every day for a month. However all you need is deep conditioning to bring it back to normal, no permanent damage. The only way to figure it out is to try different products, unfortunately, and there is a LOT of complex chemistry involved. Huge learning curve. I suggest you start with conditioner since it is such a huge part of the mix. Once you find one you like you can add other things in one at a time and can tell better what works and what is causing a problem. Just read the labels on everything and keep track of what you are actually putting in your hair at any given time.

Based on your photo you have more curl than I do.. I'm a pretty typical 3A (sidewalk chalk sized spiral curls that straighten easily).. you look like a 3B to me (sharpie sized well-defined, springy, copious curls). Your curls actually look pretty good, you just need something to hold them together. It's pretty shiny too, which is harder for blonde hair.. if it was extremely damaged it would be a lot more dull. Finding a good conditioner and leaving a good handful in would probably take you a long way.

Oh, and I guess I should mention, for multi day hair I just section it into small sections all over my head and starting from the bottom mist/squeeze each section with water from root to tip until it is consistently damp (not soaked but damp all the way through), rake my fingers through once to separate, then scrunch until I'm happy with the curl, do each additional section working my way up my head "shingling" each section on top of the next, and leave it be to dry. Since I'm not "stacking" product everyday I can just do the same thing for 3-4 days if I like and my hair doesn't get gunky. If I want more defined "fancy" hair one day I will spray with herbal essences spray gel during the mist/squeeze portion, but I don't use it often because it makes my hair icky the following day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file