DC left hair nasty!

I used the Nothing But Intense healing mask yesterday and left it on for about 45 mins. When I rinsed it out, it left my hair stringy and dry! Can anybody tell me why??
Medium Porosity-High Density-Coarse-Medium Length

CoWash: Eden Naturals
RO: Sauve Naturals Coconut
LI: DevaCurl One Condish.
Gel: LA Bella Super Hold
Diffuse

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does your hair do well with non-water soluble silicones?

My hair hates non-water soluble silicones in shampoos and conditioners let alone deep conditioners, and if I use them I end up with dry hair.

To resolve your problem shampoo your hair with a shampoo that contains no silicones and use a conditioner the same. On one occasion in the past I've had to use dish washing liquid to get it out but I suggest you try with a gentle shampoo and if your hair still feels yucky use a clarifying shampoo. If you need to use the clarifying shampoo you will need to condition to put moisture back in your hair.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The problem could also be protein. If the intense healing mask has a lot of protein, that could also cause a big problem if you are protein sensitive.

To piggyback on Blueblood's suggestion, make sure that the shampoo and conditioner you use are free of silicones and also not heavy on protein. You need something moisturizing but pure.

Good luck - it will get better!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Nayy775Nayy775 Posts: 69Registered Users
    I use the deva curl no poo and then the suave naturals for my conditioner, and then the deva curl one condish as a leave in.

Yesterday I just used the deva curl no poo and then put the DC in, then rinsed with cool water and right away I could feel the dryness.

How can I tell if the DC has protein and whether my hair has too much or not enough?

Diffuse
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nayy775 wrote: »
    I use the deva curl no poo and then the suave naturals for my conditioner, and then the deva curl one condish as a leave in.

Yesterday I just used the deva curl no poo and then put the DC in, then rinsed with cool water and right away I could feel the dryness.

How can I tell if the DC has protein and whether my hair has too much or not enough?

I actually googled the product you mentioned you used as a deep conditioner and the first two ingredients are silicones that aren't water soluble so they coat hair and build up. It also has proteins in it but lower down in the ingredients list.

The product is sold in the EU so I know the labeling has to comply with the law so the ingredients list must start from the most ingredient to the least.

I'm on my phone so can't Google the rest of your product ingredients with ease
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There is a list of common ingredients by category on the main NC site by 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If your hair is like straw, I think it's protein. The ingredients could be soy protein, hydrolized wheat, protein, etc.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    Thanks ladies! I will defiantly be returning it back to Sallys!!

Anybody recommend a good DC that's budget friendly?

Diffuse
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like the Eden body works deep condition.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Anybody recommend a good DC that's budget friendly?

Coconut oil as a pre-poo conditioner. However, you'll need to clarify to remove the non-water-soluble silicones prior to using this.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oooh that sucks :( I kind of love the Nothing But mask. Then again my hair isn't terribly fussy and seems to like most things.

Sorry you had a bad experience!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Oooh that sucks :( I kind of love the Nothing But mask. Then again my hair isn't terribly fussy and seems to like most things.

Sorry you had a bad experience!

I Think it was the protein in it. I have another deep conditioner with less protein and my hair does fine, I even use it as a leave in and I have no problems!

I kinda wish my hair liked it, it good for the price and how much comes in it!!

Diffuse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file