Bouncy Type 4 Wash n Go

SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My hair falls somewhere in the 4 range and my wash n go's are usually defined and shrunken. I really want my curls to bounce or shake when I move but I only get this on Day 1 hair when it's still wet. Once it dries, it's somewhat smashed. I always see videos of type 3's with bouncy curls but wanted to know if this is even achievable on type 4 hair.
Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair falls somewhere in the 4 range and my wash n go's are usually defined and shrunken. I really want my curls to bounce or shake when I move but I only get this on Day 1 hair when it's still wet. Once it dries, it's somewhat smashed. I always see videos of type 3's with bouncy curls but wanted to know if this is even achievable on type 4 hair.

How long is your hair? If it's still relative short I wouldn't expect a lot of movement from a wash and go. I don't think most short haired 3s get a lot of movement either. But since they have less shrinkage. So when 3 gets to a length the hair will move a 4 of that same length might not get movement. My hair is bounces and moves but I a) have longer hair and b) don't do wash and gos. I remember I took a zumba class and the other people always said they loved watching my hair bob up and down and I danced.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How long is your hair? If it's still relative short I wouldn't expect a lot of movement from a wash and go. I don't think most short haired 3s get a lot of movement either. But since they have less shrinkage. So when 3 gets to a length the hair will move a 4 of that same length might not get movement. My hair is bounces and moves but I a) have longer hair and b) don't do wash and gos. I remember I took a zumba class and the other people always said they loved watching my hair bob up and down and I danced.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I kinda figured it has something to do with length. Thanks :-)

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SweetRellie I know and am related to those who have 3a and 3b hair. Their hair if short doesn't bounce once it is longer it starts to bounce but only if not loaded with styling products.

Most curlies I know want defined frizz free curls rather than bouncy hair.
  • slimssocoilyslimssocoily Posts: 143Registered Users

Yes it is possible...
  • CoifedCoilsCoifedCoils Posts: 31Registered Users
    Yep, it's definitely possible. I noticed I started getting more bounce when I figured how to keep it moisturized under the gel. However, I did gain a lot of length by that time, so that also might have helped.
    Blueblood wrote: »
    SweetRellie I know and am related to those who have 3a and 3b hair. Their hair if short doesn't bounce once it is longer it starts to bounce but only if not loaded with styling products.

Most curlies I know want defined frizz free curls rather than bouncy hair.

I can usually get defined frizzless curls on a less humid day. I've just noticed that after watching YouTube videos, a lot of ladies would simply tie their hair up (no pineapples or pigtails) and would wake up in the morning with a light water spritz and their curls would perk up and bounce.

Current Staples
    Yep, it's definitely possible. I noticed I started getting more bounce when I figured how to keep it moisturized under the gel. However, I did gain a lot of length by that time, so that also might have helped.

That makes sense.

Current Staples
    So, I've finally managed to get the look I was going for. On day one of my wng, I raked the gel through my hair instead of smoothing it. This allowed me to truly define each little curl instead of clumping them together and hoping they do the right thing lol. I also have been banding my hair every night before bed. I was worried that the bands would stretch some of my curls too much that they would lose definition, but so far so good. :happy2:

Current Staples
  • AuroraE95AuroraE95 Posts: 124Registered Users
    What works for me is using less product or something with lighter hold

When I use something heavier with a firmer hold like eco styler, i use as little as possible or dilute it with water...too much will give me no movement what so ever, all crunch for couple day, with longer lasting results...my wash n gos would last OVER a week

My softer hold product would be Three sisters of nature curling gelo and I would get bouncy curls on the first day up to the day I wash it out, it might last about 3-4 days (during the winter)
    Inspiration [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]SOPHINA BROWN

Currently: grazing bsl straight
    Would love to be MBL straight by the end of 2014
    MY ULTIMATE GOAL: HEALTHY (almost)BRA STRAP LENGTH CURLS
    Don't know how long that would be straight lol
    AuroraE95 wrote: »
    What works for me is using less product or something with lighter hold

When I use something heavier with a firmer hold like eco styler, i use as little as possible or dilute it with water...too much will give me no movement what so ever, all crunch for couple day, with longer lasting results...my wash n gos would last OVER a week

My softer hold product would be Three sisters of nature curling gelo and I would get bouncy curls on the first day up to the day I wash it out, it might last about 3-4 days (during the winter)

I've been using Curls Unleashed Curl Boosting Jelly and it gives me a light hold but great curl definition. Surprisingly, I've made it to day 3 with great results. Aiming for a week.

Current Staples
  • A. LoveA. Love Posts: 519Registered Users
    I use flax gel. Once I've scrunched out the crunch and moisturized, it has good movement. I stretch it overnight on the first day and it remains stretched for the week. I think the newest post or one after that on my blog is on wash and gos. HTH

www.kinksofnature.com
    Last relaxer: 1st week of July 2009
    BC: Aug 29, 2010
    2nd BC: June 20, 2011

Shampoos: SM MR, SM ABS, Ion Color Defense Clarifying
    Detangle: V05 or Suave Naturals
    RO: Tigi MM,
    Treatments: CJCR, SM Scalp Elixir
    LI: any LI+oil+aloe juice
    Moisturizers: QBAOHC, SMCES, SMH&SMM
    Sealants: oils, OHBSP, JCN&S
    Gels: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Eco Styler Pink, KCCC
    Other: SM Scalp Elixir, Curls Control Paste

My Twitter
    KinksOfNature.com
    A. Love wrote: »
    I use flax gel. Once I've scrunched out the crunch and moisturized, it has good movement. I stretch it overnight on the first day and it remains stretched for the week. I think the newest post or one after that on my blog is on wash and gos. HTH

www.kinksofnature.com

I've been curious about buying flax seeds. I definitely need to try it.

Current Staples
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use la looks clear gel. It gives me great definition but no movement because my hair is short. I get movement when my hair is wet, but once dry not so much. I'm sure I will get more movement as my hair gets longer. The gel keeps my hair soft.
  • A. LoveA. Love Posts: 519Registered Users
    Ooh I also get movement with UFD Curly Magic, but I've only used the old formula. I saw a few pics/videos on IG of wash and go's with the new formula. Her hair looked great and had a bounce to it.

www.kinksofnature.com
    Last relaxer: 1st week of July 2009
    BC: Aug 29, 2010
    2nd BC: June 20, 2011

Shampoos: SM MR, SM ABS, Ion Color Defense Clarifying
    Detangle: V05 or Suave Naturals
    RO: Tigi MM,
    Treatments: CJCR, SM Scalp Elixir
    LI: any LI+oil+aloe juice
    Moisturizers: QBAOHC, SMCES, SMH&SMM
    Sealants: oils, OHBSP, JCN&S
    Gels: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Eco Styler Pink, KCCC