At my wits end!

I don't know what to do anymore. My hair is just not behaving lately. I've tried no silicone products, no products at all just conditioner and Ive tried my usual products. Nothing seems to work! I can't get it to look like it used to. I'm so upset I could cry. I used to love my hair and now it gives me anxiety because I don't feel confident going out into the world when my hair isn't looking good. It curls up so much that I have to use the straightener to loosen up the curls. I don't know what to do anymore! I wish I could start over. Could someone please please help me??? I'm desperate

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When you say it's not behaving, what do you mean? Because you mentioned it getting more curly (which some people might see as a good thing) and not much else?

Have you tried clarifying? Maybe a protein treatment?
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with BotticelliBrit - some more info on exactly what your hair is doing/what the issues are will help us give you better advice. I also agree that it might be good to clarify and then try a DT and/or PT depending on what the issue is. Also, what are your hair properties (texture, porosity, etc.) as this makes a difference in what products and techniques will work better for you.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • Molz09Molz09 Posts: 34Registered Users
    You've used silicones....'have you clarified since then?
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Girl, I'm right there with you! I don't know what to do anymore either. Following this thread :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Clarify and chelate? Do you need a trim?

Mine is driving me insane, the back is straighter and the front is curlier, yesterday it looked plain weird.

A lot in the US have been struggling with the very low and even negative dews this winter, have you been taking that into account when choosing products?
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been feeling the same way lately. I think my biggest problem is that I had the Deva cut and saw how awesome my hair can look if done properly. But I can't recreate it to save my life. That and I need to stay off Pinterest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• JuliaRoseJuliaRose Posts: 68Registered Users
    ::sigh:: I'm going to sit down on the pouting bench with y'all. I just can't seem to control my canopy frizz.

I keep trying new products and methods and nothing will work.

I *did* figure out that using a leave in was making my hair super lifeless, so I've got that going for me.
    Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
    RO: Sweet Curls Elixirs Conditioning Elixir
    Styler: SCE Flax Seed Gel and Hard Hold Gel
  • sexyNcurlysexyNcurly Posts: 241Registered Users
    It has been very cold here. The problem with my hair is, it doesn't look the way it used to and I don't know why. As I've mentioned before I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis almost three years ago, a month before my grandma died. So I've had a lot of stress and lost a lot of nutrients. But I've been on my medicine and have been doing great for three years. I take vitamin supplements and biotin. No one else seems to notice the difference in my hair but me! I refuse to cut it until it all grows out. The bottom seems thinner then from my shoulder up. No matter what I do, my hair curls up more than it used to so I use the straightener on it just to calm the curls. I don't know my hair's properties and I don't understand it to figure it out, it's confusing. The best I can do to explain is to show you pictures. I have a fotki album you can look at here:: Public Home | SexynCurly87 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

There is a before album, which shows how my hair looked up until 3 years ago and then an after album which is from 3 years ago till now. You can see how it's gotten thinner or something! It also curls up more than it used too. I hope someone can help me I'm so upset!
    Please check out my hair albums and maybe you can see the difference that I see, thanks so much!!!!
    You say that you've been taking vitamins and biotin, I would assume this could affect the health of your hair, hence the more curl that you have. What I don't understand is why you want to take a straightener to stretch your curls? Do you have a picture of your curls not stretched out? Your ends may be thinner if you've done some damage with your flat iron. There are options to stretch your curls without heat. Have you tried braiding?
    Well if you notice in my before pictures, my hair never curled up that much. I've tried braiding but I always get impatient and take them out while hair is still wet. I have trouble sleeping in braids.
  • EntangledEntangled Posts: 74Registered Users
    I definitely can see what you mean about your hair looking different. In the "Before" pictures your hair looks very full and in your "After" pictures your hair looks thinner at the ends and curlier at the roots. I don't really have any helpful advice but I thought I'd let you know I see the change too so you know that you aren't crazy!
    3b, corkicelli curls, low porosity, normal/high density, medium-coarse strands

SL - APL - BSL - MBL
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sexyNcurly you have vitamin and mineral absorption issues - anyone with a bowel disease has them.

Go to your doctor and get blood tests to check your nutrient levels make sure the tests cover haemoglobin, ferritin, B9, B12 and vitamin D. The doctor will probably test for a few others as well.

Make sure you get a print out of the results and confirm yourself they are high enough for healthy hair. For example family doctors often ignore ferritin levels as they don't know what it indicate and they accept vitamin B12 levels that are too low for good health.

Once you have been tested and start taking the right balance of supplements if you can absorb them then, it can take up to a year for you to start growing healthy hair. In the meantime your hair will act strangely. It will also be thin at the ends like now and may be fragile and break off.

Btw you should modify your diet if possible but with some diseases you have to take supplements to avoid being ill for either a short time or in the longer term.
    I've had multiple blood tests, and I get them regularly since I'm on medicine and I have no deficiencies as of now.
    And these blood tests are done by my gastroenterologist not my family doctor.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sexyNcurly wrote: »
    And these blood tests are done by my gastroenterologist not my family doctor.

Did your gasteroenterologist tell you to take the specific supplements?

Also when did you start taking the supplements as the hair at the ends will be years old.

Also some medications can effect hair as a side effect.

Last year I saw 3 different specialities and 2 of them interpreted some of the same blood results differently as they were treating different things.
    When was the last time you got a trim?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list