We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Plopping

I always take showers in the night, and I always plop overnight. I get really nice curls in the front, but my hair gets straight in the back. Is there any way to get rid of this? Plus I love to plop overnight. Does anyone else?? Do you have any plopping tips? Thanks!

Comments

• jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've also been plopping overnight recently as it saves a lot of time in the morning. I haven't had an issue with a specific section, but I do get the occasional wonky curl. To fix those, I will scrunch some more water and/or product into that section, and sometimes finger curl individual pieces.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • Elise516Elise516 Posts: 15Registered Users
    Having the exact same problem. I'm plopping with a t-shirt.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
  • quirkicelliquirkicelli Posts: 41Registered Users
    I have the same problem with plopping in general, I'm hoping it'll get better when my hair gets longer (it almost brushes my shoulders now).
    CG newbie! Started Oct 5th 2013
    3A-ish - medium width (?) - high porosity - high density - chin length when curly
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    It's a function of plopping IMO, the back section of hair is not concertina'd like the canopy, but pulled down by gravity to lay straight-ish along the skull.

The drier your hair when you come out of it the worse the issue is likely to be. Those with a stronger curl pattern may be able to dampen that section and the curls bounce back. My weak waves are a disaster zone tho.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My weak curls are on the sides of my head ironically. So I spritz my hair & apply some gel.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It sounds like it's related to your plopping technique. *All* of your hair should be scrunched up to your scalp at 90º. It takes some work to get the technique, and you definitely feel the need for an extra hand or two when you're trying to get the hang of it, but it can be done. It's easiest with a gel which has a lot of hold, which some people might call sticky (which will totally scrunch out, probably in your sleep).
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • andimokandimok Posts: 16Registered Users
    I'm sorry, I'm a newbie… what's plopping? :shock:
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 622Registered Users
    I plop at night but I use flour sack towels that I buy from Wal Mart. If there are some weird curls, I spray with water and add a little conditioner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
    Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
    Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're probably more familiar with scrunching, which is cupping the ends of your hair in your palm, bringing your hand up to the roots, and giving the curl(s) that form when you do that a double squeeze. When you plop your hair, you scrunch it, and use a towel or T-shirt to hold the scrunched curls in place next to your scalp. Some people do this for ten minutes or more, to help get excess water out of their hair and help their curls start forming; then air-dry or diffuse their hair mostly dry (about 85-90%), then air-dry the rest of the way (to prevent over-drying their hair, which causes frizz). Some of us plop overnight, which is what I do, but I've been doing so long that I've learned to do it without the towel. I just lay a towel over my pillow, and scrunch my hair into place as I lay my head down.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Tripgirl3aTripgirl3a Posts: 201Registered Users
    Thank you for your tips! Does anyone know how to double plop? I read about it on a forum a while ago, but the person never went into detail about it.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Tripgirl3a wrote: »
    Thank you for your tips! Does anyone know how to double plop? I read about it on a forum a while ago, but the person never went into detail about it.

In short, you apply your products and plop like normal. Take it off later, add additional product if needed, and re-plop.

Here's a thread about it: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/58577-double-plopping.html
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Tripgirl3aTripgirl3a Posts: 201Registered Users
    Thank you so much for the link!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file