New wavy, still battling with natural texture

hallamaahallamaa Posts: 22Registered Users
Hello everyone! I have been lurking on the forums some time now and decided to register, mostly with the purpose of getting some support from fellow wavies and rant about my love/hate-relationship with my hair and experiences :D

So, my hair releated story goes like this :) For the most part, I have had extremely long hair from childhood (down to my waist) and I have always thought that it has been straight, but just "frizzy and stubborn"-type of straight.

I had grown used to adults telling me in subtle ways that my hair is really frizzy and something needs to be done to it. When I was a tween, I finally decided to cut my hair off out of my father's suggestion (he has always semi-secretly thought that my hair is really messy and nasty-looking, even though he rarely says it right to my face). It kinda solved the problem in a way.

Something like five years ago I wanted to shed all the weight of my hair and all the emotional drama attached to it, and shaved it all of completely. And I don't mean a pixie-cut, I mean completely 100% shining bald. I got really mixed and dramatic responses form acquaintances and strangers alike.

It was weird and fun while it lasted. I wore my hair really short pixie-like for some years until I got really tired of having to trim my hair pretty much every other week, and having the scalp suffer from the cold during the winter and having sunburn in the summer. I have been growing out my hair for over a year now and now it's a chin-length bob that is bleached blond.

To begin with, I have always had a mental battle with my natural hair color. Where I come from (Northern Europe), my naturally really cool-toned dark blonde/light brown hair that is quick to lighten with natural blonde highlights in the sun during summer is considered very unattractive and bland - a common word for the color translated word to word is "gravel road grey"... If you have this particular color, you are expected to do something to it - go lighter or go darker, it doesn't really matter, as long as you don't leave it how it is.

So, combined with the general pressure and the fact that I have always wanted to try out how blonde hair would fit me, I have bleached blonde hair right now. I really like how it looks, but of course nothing is so simple :D At the same time i feel kinda bad about my hair color being fake and I'm worried about the chemicals in the bleach (although my hair bleaches really well with the milder versions of bleach without much damage, because the difference in the final result and my natural color is only about couple of shades). It also feels such a useless cultural construct to doom this certain shade into the trash bin. So right now I'm growing the bleach out and trying to embrace my natural color :) It's hard but needs to be done.

And finally we get to the "curly" part. Now that I have been growing out my hair, it has finally got into a length when I have to deal with the frizz again. I have tried to brush and blow dry the frizz out but it just hasn't worked at all. Blowdrying it straight works for a while but then it just frizzes again and I get the "poodle look" (flat on the top, super frizzy on the ends). At some point when I just had come out from the shower and just moping about my hair I noticed something I haven't somehow ever noticed before. I hadn't brushed my hair when I got out of the shower like I normally would have, and saw that when my hair gets to dry without any brushing or touching, it starts to form these loose spirals.

Maybe I'm a bit dense, to take this long to figure it out, but that was the first time when I started to suspect that maybe I just don't simply have damaged and frizzy hair, but waves or curls of some sort - and I have no idea how to take care of them. I did some searching and found some videos showing how wavies washed and styled their hair. I sceptically tried some of the methods and HOLY COW, it changed my hair completely!

At this point I'm still learning and trying to find the best methods, but at least part of the time I'm able to get defined waves that borderline on proper curls. I think my hair type is fine, low density, low porosity 2A/B. If I scrunch with some hair gel and use a diffuser, my hair resembles something like 2C. The biggest challenges I still have are trying to prevent separation of the waves (because my hair is so fine, the clumps easily turn into frizz if I don't use styling products) and trying to figure out how to get decent second-day waves.

It has been exciting to delve into this completely new world and I appreciate all these resources. Sometimes I have gotten kinda nasty attitude from people and even from curlies that my hair is "fake" because I have to use gel and diffuser to make the curls come out defined. They have said that wavy isn't a proper hair type and I should just save myself the trouble and keep my hair straight rather just trying to fake I'm curly... Luckily mostly people have been positively surprised and curious. Curly hair in up here north isn't very common trait to have (majority of the people here having stick straight fine hair in various shades of light blond to light brown), so people comment on it a lot and sometimes ask if they can touch my hair and see how it feels like!

Phew, what a rant! I feel better already ;) I just felt like I need and outlet for this stuff because I don't have any wavy/curly haired friends to talk with about this stuff. Thanks for reading if you got this far :D
2A fine wavy hair. Hates silicones, polyquats and too much oil, loves protein and glycerine.

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome!

I'm smiling reading your post, not laughing at you but in recognition, so many of us wavies have the same experiences. Do come and join the active Wavy Hair Community on Facebook.

Wavy is a hair type recognised by many professional stylists and even scientific researchers. Nope, frizzy-but-straight is not a hair type. Europe wide, 55% of people have naturally wavy or curly hair. Many wavies have no idea until their thirties of forties. My own mother was shocked when I started the CG method!

You may find your waves behave better as you grow out the lightened hair. You will not ever brush out frizz you will actually brush it IN. Frizz is hairs that are separated not lying neatly with their neighbours .... Brushing separates hairs.

You are unlikely to be low porosity on the dyed parts, more likely medium or high porosity. Easy to frizz is another indicator. Plenty of leave in conditioner helps clumping and frizz control better than styling product. Include hydrolysed protein for wave boosting, volume for fine hair and patch repairing for dyed hair.

HTH!
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • hallamaahallamaa Posts: 22Registered Users
    You are unlikely to be low porosity on the dyed parts, more likely medium or high porosity. Easy to frizz is another indicator. Plenty of leave in conditioner helps clumping and frizz control better than styling product. Include hydrolysed protein for wave boosting, volume for fine hair and patch repairing for dyed hair.

Thanks so much for the response :love7:

Determining porosity has been really difficult, the DIY-tests are hard to decipher. I have figured that even though my hair is really prone to frizz, it still feels kinda shiny and smooth when I do the finger sliding test. It also takes ages to get wet in the shower and also to get dry after it, but maybe these can be indicators of average or high porosity too?

Right now I'm using Nature's Gate Aloe Vera conditioner for CO-washing and also as leave-in. I figured out it would help since it says "Hydrolyzed Soy Protein" and "Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein" in the ingredients. There has definitely been a noticeable difference after switching to no-silicone, no-sulfates, no alcohol regimen. Maybe I need to find an actual protein treatment or leave-in product.

The only styling product that I use nowadays is Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel Wavy to Curly and it seems to help with definition without being drying like the cheapo gels filled with alcohol that I have used before :)
    Wavy is a hair type recognised by many professional stylists and even scientific researchers. Nope, frizzy-but-straight is not a hair type.
    This is very interesting, I'm hoping to find a stylist who would understand this also :D There is one salon close by that specializes in the curlier textures (types 4 it seems), making braids and dreadlocks, but when I went there the stylist said my hair isn't curly enough for their techniques.
    2A fine wavy hair. Hates silicones, polyquats and too much oil, loves protein and glycerine.
    The DIY porosity tests are junk science, look at how the hair behaves, obvious stuff like damage (all permanently coloured hair will have some to the f-layer and cuticle) or have a microscope hair analysis.

That conditioner sounds great, I wouldn't overload the hair with hydrolysed protein in the winter/ lower dews. Maybe try an intensive protein treatment when things warm up (assuming you are in US/ Europe of course). You might simply try using more of your current conditioner, I am constantly amazed by how much I can pile on without wrecking the finished result.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
  • hallamaahallamaa Posts: 22Registered Users
    The DIY porosity tests are junk science, look at how the hair behaves, obvious stuff like damage (all permanently coloured hair will have some to the f-layer and cuticle) or have a microscope hair analysis.

I have been considering getting hair analysis from GoosefootPrints on Etsy, it isn't nearly as pricey as expected! Seems like GoosefootPrints is unofficially approved by CurlTalk, since there are a lot of raves about the service :)

After watching the gallery pictures I'm even more confused about the curl texture of my hair, it seems people type themselves in so many different ways. I took some pictures of my hair after waking up and taking down pinneapple ponytail, I'm not sure if this gives the most accurate image. Maybe someone can give an opinion :) I think it's 2A.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emtdcdnr0tf1i7v/20140313_124333.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm5wq5k00gc6pbt/20140313_124149.jpg
    Wendy at Goosefootprints is well known to many of us: through her blog (Sciencey Hairblog), the Wavy Hair Community (Facebook) and here as username IAGirl. Being 'one of us' helped her create the analysis service - I think she underprices herself TBH.

The alternative Komaza Care also gets great reviews on the Long Hair Care Forum but has been less used and recommended here due to price and availability.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file