Does this sound like protein damage?

RisingMoonRisingMoon Posts: 81Registered Users
I did a protein treatment last week using IAgirls' recipe. I didn't see too much a difference so I decided that maybe my hair could use some small doses of protein here and there by way of every day products.

About 3 days after the PT, I used some ECOStyler Krystal. I had some major frizz issues but decided that it was from the humectants. I bought some Suave Coconut Conditioner to use as a RO for the next two days. I still used the ECOstyler bc I actually really like it otherwise and just used a ton of LI.

Today my hair was pretty frizzy so the first thing that came to mind was that I upset the balance. I washed with KC Come Clean before putting in my DT. As I was raking the DT through my hair, tons of hair was coming out and sticking to my hands! I actually had to wipe them off a few times.

Is this breakage from too much protein? I really didn't think I used all that much, but maybe I did.
2C waves with a little 3A thrown in for fun, medium density, on the course side hair (IMO--will have stylist confirm at some point.) Still trying to work on porosity- have characteristics of both high and low :thumbdown:

Polyquats are terrible. I seems to be able to tolerate butters and oils in the most sparing amounts as long as I low-poo frequently.

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Were the hairs coming out with root bulb attached or not? Try making one change to your routine at a time not numerous ones in the space of a week.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • RisingMoonRisingMoon Posts: 81Registered Users
    That's a great question and I'm not sure. They were on the short side which makes me think they broke off.

I did my DT (which I loved!) and still have a little halo of fuzzy hairs sticking out right across the back of my head. Today I gathered them up and tried to make little curls with them just to hide everything.

I'm laying off the protein totally for a bit and then will take your advice and try one product at a time. Not sure if I want to try the conditioner first or the gel again. I loved both!
    2C waves with a little 3A thrown in for fun, medium density, on the course side hair (IMO--will have stylist confirm at some point.) Still trying to work on porosity- have characteristics of both high and low :thumbdown:

Polyquats are terrible. I seems to be able to tolerate butters and oils in the most sparing amounts as long as I low-poo frequently.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You might want to reintroduce Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner first. The silk amino acids in it aren't present in a very high amount (appear toward the end of the ingredients list), and amino acids tend to come off (instead of sticking to hair) during the rinse process.

The Ecostyler gel has hydrolyzed protein and in a much higher amount. It also has a good amount of glycerin, which could cause frizz and dryness in winter's low dewpoints.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • RisingMoonRisingMoon Posts: 81Registered Users
    This is my hair still fairly wet with KCCC and GF Pure Gel.

I have this fuzz stuff all over the back of my head. It almost feels like those hairs have been fried! They are wiry feeling.

I'm going to do another DT tonight. I really like the recipe I came up with. It made the rest of my hair soft but didn't feel weighed down.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file