What and how much protein to use??

BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
I decided last week to stop fighting the waves in my hair and to stop using the blowdryer and straightener. So, I researched a little and then order CG on my kindle. I read through it and got my plan down. However, my hair cannot handle that much conditioner, the first day (I used No Poo, then One Condition, rinsed out then applied as leave in, followed by Alterna Bamboo oil) my hair looked horrendous, it looked like an oil slick. Anyway so I tried to lighten the conditioner ect... and things are getting better. So while I am researching how to improve it, I do a strand analysis and realize I actually have THIN hair, just lots of it. I always thought my hair was coarse and have thus always used heavy conditioners thinking that was what I needed. Anyway, I have also noticed I can't get much definition out of my waves, even if I plop. I want to try protein, but don't know how to start and how much or how often? I had some Infusium 23 Color Care from when I used to color (it's been almost 1 1/2 years) and I put it in a spray bottle to see if it would help? I am also going to try the iagirl gelatin thing. Any advice on how to proceed? Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    'Oil slick' sounds more like your hair cannot handle straight up oils not struggling with the conditioner. Maybe try plenty of conditioner without any oil.

You might try leaving in conditioner rich in hydrolysed protein, some can boost volume and curl not weigh hair down. There is a list of such conditioners on the Sciencey Hairblog. How much protein and how often varies from person to person, it is a case of experimenting.

You may have heat damage from the flat ironing: if so your curl pattern may take a while to bounce back or they may never do so you may need a good trim.

Other ingredients beneficial for damaged hair include coconut oil, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BamagirlBamagirl Posts: 59Registered Users
    'Oil slick' sounds more like your hair cannot handle straight up oils not struggling with the conditioner. Maybe try plenty of conditioner without any oil.

You might try leaving in conditioner rich in hydrolysed protein, some can boost volume and curl not weigh hair down. There is a list of such conditioners on the Sciencey Hairblog. How much protein and how often varies from person to person, it is a case of experimenting.

You may have heat damage from the flat ironing: if so your curl pattern may take a while to bounce back or they may never do so you may need a good trim.

Other ingredients beneficial for damaged hair include coconut oil, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

Thanks for replying. Last night, I used just a shampoo plus conditioner and didn't use any oil. I did however spray in some Infusium 23 and then plopped. The wave/curl definition was much better, even without a gel or mousse, so I am thinking I am going to try some of the cheaper conditioners and stay away from the oils. One more question though, if I use condition with some protein and the Infusium 23 which says it has protein, how will I know if I am getting too much protein?
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    These should be helpful in figuring out protein needs (too much, too little, just right)...

The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com - This article is nicely detailed and describes how to assess your hair and whether it's balanced and in a happy place, needs more protein, or you need to lay off the protein a bit.

Protein vs Moisture « Pittsburgh Curly - This blog post has a good discussion of protein and includes pictures of both overproteined and overconditioned hair.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file