Baking soda is making my hair dry now?

I started using baking soda on my hair last year and it hasn't been dry and frizzy on the top of my head until a couple of months ago. I use 1/2 TBSP on baking soda and put it in a water bottle. I then fill the bottle more than half way of water. Should I start using less baking soda? Or if you can think of a cheap shampoo for curl hair that would help me a lot.

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've heard here that baking soda & apple cider vinegar can be very damaging to the hair & scalp. If you are using these to clarify, you would do better using a clarifying shampoo.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Baking soda is alkaline, it will cause damage over time. Almost any shampoo is more hair friendly to be honest.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow Firefox. Baking soda is that bad?!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair likes acidic conditions: alkaline agents potentially saponify lipids on and bonded to the surface (18-MEA, the ceramides and fatty acids glueing the cuticle together say), may raise the cuticle allowing water and the cleansing agent access to the core structure.

I wouldn't personally put alkaline agents anywhere near my skin barrier either: cue destruction of the acid mantle and beneficial flora.

Commercial shampoo is at least specifically formulated to be safe for most people. The harshest formulations (eg clarifiers) are *generally* intended for occasional use. As always the visible effects are somewhat dependent on the individual's hair and skin type.

As an aside humans have been cleansing themselves with natural extracts like soap nuts and soapwort for millennia, apparently these are acidic.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ya think??? That said, even though the advice on various frugal/simple living/DIY blogs touts baking soda as being great for the hair and skin, it's NOT. Firefox7275 is right. While I'm oriented to simpler, less complicated living in general, personally, using baking soda was a disaster for both endeavors for me. Never again! All I did was add like a half-tsp. of baking soda to a natural shampoo(Aubrey Organics) and OMG - hair like STRAW - even conditioning deeply right afterward didn't help all that much. It took awhile from that ONE exposure for my hair to recover, seriously! I tried baking soda as a skin scrub, and again, disaster - way too harsh on my reactive skin, and it took more time than I thought it would for my skin to recover. Both of these incidents were years ago now. Beware!!!
  • mysterycurlsmysterycurls Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Um yeah. I'm pretty sure I damaged my topmost layers with baking soda. I've always had pretty healthy, though dryish hair, but in a few months ago, I noticed the topmost layers had gotten worse, not better, even though I thought I had been babying it. HA! I've never processed my hair at all and before CG never even used product in it. Now the topmost layers, particularly the crown area is pretty porous and frizzes easily, super dry and won't clump easily, very rough and dry. Pretty sure it was the baking soda, because nothing else makes sense. It's the only thing that would have had such a dramatic effect.
    2b/c, medium-coarse, high-density, medium-porosity, CG since 2011.
    Co-wash: Suave/ VO5
    RO: Yes to Cucumbers, GVPCB, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: GVP CB, Yes to Cucumbers
    Sealant: Argan, Grapeseed, Apricot Kernal (still working on it)
    Styler: GF Pure Clean, HETT, Volumax
    DT: Ion Effective Care, GVPCB, Yes to Cucumbers

Experimenting with Curly Kinks ReNew, Coil Jam and Satin Roots. Also FSG.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use baking soda as a household cleaning agent to clean stained china and pots.

I would never use it on my hair or skin simply because a using a little with not a lot of elbow grease can get out stains in cups.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file