New wavy intro

SherrycarSherrycar Posts: 5Registered Users
Hi guys! I'm a new wavy here. Actually, I've been lurking for about 2 months now and have been slowly transitioning to all natural, eliminating sulfates and silicones, etc. My hair is slowly developing more curl, so I started as a definite 2a but suspect I'll end up somewhere in the 2b to 2c range when I get my hair in shape. My waves are definitely baby fine and thin, but I'm not quite sure what porosity I've got. All the tests seem to come out at low, but I find that hard to believe with years of blow drying and coloring. I'm guessing the roots may be low and the ends more medium.

I've been reading, fascinated by how everyone seemed to want straight hair while growing up. I grew up with hair that was stick straight, and I hated it! Everyone I knew was forever getting perms to curl their hair! It was only about 15 years ago that I finally decided to stop perming my hair and accept my straight, flat, lifeless hair and make the best of it. Then about 10 years ago, my hair started showing some signs of curls, mostly in bangs that I would blow dry straight but would soon stick straight out to the side! My hair was a disaster - it wouldn't stay straight but wasn't curly enough to do anything with.

Then I finally found naturallycurly.com, started reading up about how to treat curls, and decided to see if more curls would emerge. So far, so good! Going sulfate free, silicone free, and stopping the blow dryer has resulted in sufficient wave to actually do something with! I am still hoping that as I get my hair in still better shape and find the best products for me, it will get even wavier/curlier, but for now I am enjoying my new hair!
Sherry in humid Houston, TX, Curly Girl since Jan. 2014!

2a wavy, baby fine, low density, shoulder length, medium or low porosity, semi-permanent color.

Shampoo: DevaCurl No Poo
Clarify: Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint
RO Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition
Mousse: DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam
Gel: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel

Comments

• wavy_jazwavy_jaz Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi back at ya! I'm also new, also a hopeful future 2b/2c. Right now thanks to not nurturing my waves I'm more of a 2a. My extreme length doesn't help, either. I'm going to cut it soon. I've been lurking for about a month, trying to learn whatever I can from these knowledgeable people. It can be overwhelming-- for example: my search for a good curl cream. I don't want too many humectants (live in an arid climate plus it's winter), but I also don't want any waxes/butters/pseudo silicones that could weigh down my hair or would be hard to cowash out. I'm gonna be reading ingredients lists until my eyes cross. I suppose it's also a trial-and-error thing.
    Well, here's to us wavy newbies! :occasion5:
  • SherrycarSherrycar Posts: 5Registered Users
    I hear ya about the curl cream! I've tried a couple, no success. I've done better with light gels so far, but I'm hoping to try the Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Curl Crème Lite soon. It sounds like it should work, but it's so expensive! And what if it's too heavy?

I started with DevaCurl products, since they were the easiest for me to find, and the ones I have tried are OK, but I keep thinking I can do better. There is so much information out here, my head is spinning! And a couple of things I've bought thinking they were free of silicones, then realized I was wrong. It can be so frustrating! The only reason I haven't stopped is I can see the results - my hair is already healthier and the waves are getting better.

2a wavy, baby fine, low density, shoulder length, medium or low porosity, semi-permanent color.

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome!

Sweet Curls Elixirs on Etsy makes a flaxseed curl cream that is raved about on the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook (store owner Alissa is a wavy herself). AFAIK you can have oils, humectants or curl boosters added custom or just as it is.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • SherrycarSherrycar Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks Firefox! I'll look into that!

• WavyZanneWavyZanne Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hi all! I too was lurking for a couple of months just trying to soak up all the information on this site. I agree it is a bit overwhelming!

Sherry, my story is very similar to yours, I always believed I had straight hair. Back in the 80's when we all had big hair, I used to get perms because I always wanted curly hair! Decided after getting married in 1990 to accept what God gave me and stopped perming, always brushing and blow drying my hair.

Every once in a while I would get lazy and let my hair dry naturally and usually see one wonky wave that went through my hair. What are you supposed to do with that?! Really couldn't do anything so I just ignored it and dried it straight.

In early January, I went for a trim (I've been growing my hair out from a Bob about 1.5 years) and had a new stylist. My previous one left the salon after 18 years!
    When I get to her chair after getting washed, she says "you have wavy hair." What?! Really?!
    My hair had changed over time and somehow I hadn't noticed!
    (Could it be having a full time job, DH, 3 DS and a dog? Yeah maybe I was a bit busy!!) that plus I was already only washing my hair twice a week since it's so thick and absorbs an incredible amount of water, taking forever to dry.

I chatted with a curly haired friend at work who mentioned the. Deva products. Looked it up on the internet and found the CG handbook. I started going CG and was amazed at how my hair responded.

I am a 2B wavy. The salon where I had my epiphany is an Aveda salon so I ended up buying their Be Curly curling cream, and Phemollient mousse. In answer to your question is that I find the Be Curly cream when used in conjunction with Deva Light defining gel works really well for my hair.

I had my first Deva cut last week- she came to my house! It was wonderful, she answered all my questions and looked at all the products I had. She (also a wavy) said the Be Curly was designed to do the same thing as Deva B'lieve In, which is to work as a volumizer and curl booster.

What I also like is that when I use the two together, I don't get the gel cast, my waves are soft but still have hold.

We have very hard water here, and it's been winter forever., so I am really curious to see what the actual potential of my hair actually is come springtime!

Nice to meet you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file