Ciaoooo ;)

italia92italia92 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hellllooooooooo everyone! This is my first time posting on any site, even though I'm in the techy generation... I joined a lil over a week ago because I reallllly wanted to communicate with other curlies for advice! :laughing6:

A bit about me: I'm half Italian and half American, grew up everywhere in the world lol. My hair is 3c I guess? It changes depending on the product and when I last washed it.

So I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem but I have been a natural all my life, I didn't do any heat damage to my hair or relaxer or anything! Never had to do a big chop, and I always knew how my curls looked like. Problem is the growth :(... It's like at a constant terminal length, always SL when curly and MBL when straight. I started doing the tightlycurly method in 2009, and had hoped because her curls were identical to mine it would solve all my problems... mehhhhh, although my curls are better maintained, I don't feel I have much growth. But I do try to moisturize and seal alot to the extent that my hair always feels oily (not sure if that's supposed to happen :/ ) and i have no idea of my protein/moisture balance because it varies from strand to strand...

Anyways I can't of anything else to include as its past 1 am and I have been on my laptop since 7ish? Procrastinating at my controls hmk and watching hair vids... sigh.. Please let me know if I need to include pics/or any other info about my hair that you would like to know (hopefully!) :D

Thanks
~Andrea~

Comments

• HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    Hair properties would help, which products you use, how often you get trims, etc. (: the only reason I can see for it not growing is that when you get trims they cut what has grown so you never see it. Especially tighter curlies see less growth because of shrinkage, so maybe your hairdresser is a bit scissor happy with your curls?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • italia92italia92 Posts: 3Registered Users
    loooooool scissor happy! I think thats partially true since my mum always took me to her salons and her hair is long slightly wavy and they would cut off mine to point it ends up by my ears and I always left bawling. I used to trim once a year and till 2011 I stopped getting a trim... Thank you for your reply! I typically use

: V05, Sauve for co-washing

:Shea Moisture extra moisture condioner, any of Tresemme conditioners, Organix, Herbal Essence (currently using Giovanni 50:50 conditioner) for leave in. I should go back to Aussie Moist because it really conditioned my hair.

:Coconut oil/Grapeseed for sealant maybe 2-3 twice a week i do that, stopped because it made my hair oily to touch. Replaced it with Shea butter oil (one from hollywood brand) seems super light yet helps keep my ends glossy. I'm looking for a super light sealant oil like this one, has anyone tried Aloe Vera oil?

For my hair properties I feel bumps on some strands so I assume I'm highly porous. For the strand test, it stretches about 2 cm on both sides before breaking maybe 20% stretch (when dry) Not sure if thats too much protein or too much moisture..
  • HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    Have you considered argan oil? My high porosity hair seems to hate every other oil but argan as sealer, the others make it look oily in the most awful way. It's very lightweight, doesn't smell the best but I need so little of it. It lasts a lifetime.

Apart from this, 'bumps on some strands' doesn't read as a very good measure to tell if you actually are or not. You should consider getting a hair strand test to see what comes up!

If you are indeed high porosity, then like your hair could be mine was, breaking as it's growing, that's why you don't see any growth. However, you said you never damaged your hair so if that's the case there must be something in your routine that is damaging. You don't even use dye?
    Also, is your hair fine? Fine hair can be tricky and very easily damaged.

Last thing, with your explanation it wasn't clear if you ARE trimming your hair or not right now. You could also try the inversion method to see if you get any growth, and start measuring your hair to keep track of the length say, weekly.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • italia92italia92 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey sorry for the late response, got caught up with some things! No I haven't tried argan oil, i am not sure which to buy because it seems a) its very expensive and b) I'm not sure how much of its "purity" I am getting. Which product do you use?

But yes I don't even use dye :P I did a texilaxer probably once in my life when i was 16 and I only had it on for 2 mins just to loosen slightly the curls, but they seemed to come back to normal after a month.

Yes my hair is super fine, it's such a pain. I try to layer it up with conditioner when I use my denman brush and try to use finger de-tangling so as not to damage as much. At the moment I am not trimming my hair. A few years ago when I was trimming it was an inch or two a year. Sorry for the confusion
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome!

If your hair is not gaining length and you are not cutting it then it is breaking off. Trims are essential, they remove badly damaged ends which are inevitable however careful you try to be. If you do not trim two to four times a year you must 'search and destroy' individual splits and white dots at least once a month. That is difficult on shorter hair because you cannot bring the ends round to the front to see them.

Work with your hair properties: fine hair tends to do well with hydrolysed protein, it is often weighed down with oils and butters. Don't confuse moisturising with conditioning: wet/ damp hair is weak hair, well conditioned hair is protected and pretty looking.

A basic/ true conditioner is rich in fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants: many wash outs work well as leave ins. You can include oils or proteins as minor ingredients instead of applying them separately.

You may find a microscope hair analysis useful: Goosefootprints on Etsy can tell you how bad any damage is to the ends of your hair as well as the properties. The DIY porosity tests are junk science.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file