Dog lovers: QUICK!

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
Without checking...what do you think the breed w/ the longest and shortest lifespans are?

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    shortest great danes

longest - i would go somethng small, but perhaps not chihuahua bc they are SOOO anxious. a little terrier or poodle perhaps
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Poodles longest, st Bernard's shortest.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    This is interesting! Go cockapoo and chihuahua (av 16 yrs)! Then manchester terrier (av 15.5 yrs) then toy manchester terrier/yorkie (av 15 yrs).

Gogue de Bordeaux (av 6), Irish Wolfhound (av 7) and Bernese Mountain Dog (av 7.5)

eta -- you're basically getting a huge hamster w/ a Dogue de Bordeaux
  • RisingMoonRisingMoon Registered Users Posts: 81
    Shortest- Irish wolfhounds (4-5 years)
    Longest- yorkies and chihuahuas

Generally the larger the breed the shorter the lifespan.
    2C waves with a little 3A thrown in for fun, medium density, on the course side hair (IMO--will have stylist confirm at some point.) Still trying to work on porosity- have characteristics of both high and low :thumbdown:

Polyquats are terrible. I seems to be able to tolerate butters and oils in the most sparing amounts as long as I low-poo frequently.
  • lampzombie2lampzombie2 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Oooooh good question. Shortest would be something along the lines of a great dane. Longest... no clue, I just want my dog to live forever!
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Registered Users Posts: 2,816
    This is interesting! Go cockapoo and chihuahua (av 16 yrs)! Then manchester terrier (av 15.5 yrs) then toy manchester terrier/yorkie (av 15 yrs).

Gogue de Bordeaux (av 6), Irish Wolfhound (av 7) and Bernese Mountain Dog (av 7.5)

eta -- you're basically getting a huge hamster w/ a Dogue de Bordeaux

I have a Cockapoo, so this makes me happy. Though of course I'm hoping he lives forever. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1392444076.019471.jpg
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Registered Users Posts: 876
    Cockapoo is a cross, not a breed, so technically doesn't qualify, but miniature and toy poodles do tend to live a pretty long time. :toothy5:

Generally the smaller-longer and larger-shorter rules qualify, but a lot of it depends on the breed and genetics. For example, a well-bred Cavalier KIng Charles spaniel may live 14-15 years, but because it's a fairly sick breed many die of cardiac problems well under 10 years. Bernese Mt. dogs are very cancer-prone, dobes are another sick breed, etc. So often, dogs in these breeds aren't necessarily dying of old age, but illnesses common to the breed. I don't know that I've ever heard of an age survey based solely on dogs dying of natural causes/old age.

The longest-lived dog I've personally heard of was a miniature schnauzer that was still alive at 23.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Cockapoo is a cross, not a breed, so technically doesn't qualify, but miniature and toy poodles do tend to live a pretty long time. :toothy5:

If enough cockapoos breed with each other they will soon be a breed. That's how dog breeds are invented.

Though like Jack Russels they may not be officially recognised by all kennel clubs around the world.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Registered Users Posts: 8,449 Curl Connoisseur
    Shortest: Bernese Mountain Dog
    Longest: Havanese?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Hollis, NYRegistered Users Posts: 1,665
    Shortest, I'd have to say great danes.
    Longest, Pomeranians . . I had my Pomeranian for almost 16 years before she passed.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Registered Users Posts: 876
    Blueblood wrote: »

If enough cockapoos breed with each other they will soon be a breed. That's how dog breeds are invented.

Though like Jack Russels they may not be officially recognised by all kennel clubs around the world.

Not necessarily. Dog breeds are typically developed very deliberately over generations with a specific structure and purpose in mind. Crosses aren't really the same thing. People have been crossing cockers and poodles since at least the 70s and there's no real likelihood of a breed yet--no breed standard that I've ever heard of. Acceptance by a club like the AKC is probably years and years off, if it happens at all.

The Jack Russell has a very long history, but breeds are often not recognized by all kennel clubs for various reasons. There are many breeds not recognized by the AKC, for example, simply because they're too rare in the U.S. But they're still "real" breeds with established breed standards.

ETA: Perhaps it would make more sense if I explained it another way. New breeds are developed by putting other breeds together, true. But you can't just put two or three breeds together--even repeatedly--and claim it as a new breed, not if you want to be recognized by a respected kennel club such as AKC, CKC (Canadian KC, not Continental), etc. It takes much more than that, and many, many years. That's not what people who breed "designer" dogs (aka crosses) want you to think, but it's true. And most breeds that are newly recognized are actually old breeds, sometimes centuries old.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    @CuryInTheFog yeah I know I was just simplifying.

Oh and I'm not in the States.

There are working dog breeds that people such as farmers delibrately don't want recognised by kennel clubs as they don't want the dogs to have a very standardised look as they are breed for personality and intelligence traits.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file