The protein-moisture balance is a #[email protected]*$$!

NymeriaNymeria Posts: 11Registered Users
I am really struggling with how often to protein-load and how often to add on the moisture. I'm pretty new to this stuff too, so I've got an overload of products I bought in zealous fashion, and as a result, maybe too many choices when I go to address whatever problem arises. Lately, my dyed (and I believe, med-high porosity), medium density, quite springy 3a hair gets limp and lifeless if it's low on protein, but I deal with some crispiness because of dying and occasional heat (only a diffuser). I also think sometimes it gets too soft (like cotton candy by day 4) from over-moisturizing. If any of you have hair similar to my description, I'd be open to hearing about your cleansing/conditioning/treatment schedules. My recent routine involves DevaCurl No Poo or Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, then Curls Coconut Conditioner or CJ Beauticurls conditioner as RO, then more Curls for LI, and Curl Keeper instead of a gel (I really don't feel like I need a stronger gel hold, maybe this is a step I need to consider more). I do an occasional PT with CJ Intensive Treatment, every three-four weeks or so.

Any recommendations on how to tweak or modify this routine? I have been putting these products in with wet, not dripping wet hair, and letting air dry. Of course I wash out the PT before adding some leave in.

Comments

• NymeriaNymeria Posts: 11Registered Users
    To clarify, ack, I was still writing when this posted, I was trying to add keywords and it posted my OP. My problem is inconsistency-veering between limp, sad, deflated curls (though soft and pretty in a wavy style) and poufy, wildly different textures all over my head (but much thicker and healthier feeling to the touch). I need to find my right middle point. So that was what prompted the post. My goodness, experimenting with these products is expensive.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just a few comments as reaction to some of the things you said. You indicated that you PT once a month (3-4 weeks) with CJ Repair Me? My hair LOVES protein. I PT at least once a week and use a lot of products with protein. Repair Me is moisturizing, so I don't need to DT.

Many of us rotate products. Back in the day that I was shampoo/conditioner only, my hair satiated on them. My hair would get limp and lifeless in a few weeks, so I'd change it up. Now, I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom use any one product more then once a week, if that.

Last of all. I have issues with polyquats, especially 4, 7 and 10. Very difficult for me to remove them. They coat my hair and prevent absorption. I discovered the issue because I had frizz when wet. The NoPoo has 7 and the CK has 10. You may want to clarify and see what happens when you don't use them for a while.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The protein-moisture balance is badly named, hydrolysed protein is a weak humectant so IS moisturising if used in moderation and in the right dew points.

Curl Keeper is loaded with potent humectants (glycerin, propylene glycol) so not ideal for porous hair in high or low dews. That might well be part if the problem, either drawing too much water out of the hair or too much water out of the air.

Protein is useful for colour damaged hair but other proven ingredients include coconut oil, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    Hi Kathy, I use CJ Curl Fix Intensive Hair Treatment, as it is what I have currently. I am definitely considering ordering Repair Me next time. I did not realize that CK might be problematic. I have been using it instead of a gel because I don't like the feel of gel in my hair.
    Firefox, interesting. As to the thread title, I was just going with what I had read from quite a bit of digging around online trying to understand how my hair was behaving. Ordinarily where I live I experience mostly high dew points but this season's weather has been throwing everything out of whack. Up is down, left is right...Still I am mostly interested in others' routines whose hair craves protein and how and when they use it.
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Nymeria wrote: »
    I am really struggling with how often to protein-load and how often to add on the moisture. I'm pretty new to this stuff too, so I've got an overload of products I bought in zealous fashion, and as a result, maybe too many choices when I go to address whatever problem arises. Lately, my dyed (and I believe, med-high porosity), medium density, quite springy 3a hair gets limp and lifeless if it's low on protein, but I deal with some crispiness because of dying and occasional heat (only a diffuser). I also think sometimes it gets too soft (like cotton candy by day 4) from over-moisturizing. If any of you have hair similar to my description, I'd be open to hearing about your cleansing/conditioning/treatment schedules. My recent routine involves DevaCurl No Poo or Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, then Curls Coconut Conditioner or CJ Beauticurls conditioner as RO, then more Curls for LI, and Curl Keeper instead of a gel (I really don't feel like I need a stronger gel hold, maybe this is a step I need to consider more). I do an occasional PT with CJ Intensive Treatment, every three-four weeks or so.

Any recommendations on how to tweak or modify this routine? I have been putting these products in with wet, not dripping wet hair, and letting air dry. Of course I wash out the PT before adding some leave in.

I have high porosity hair that really like protein and gets overconditioned very easily. I struggle with keeping that balance, too. I PT using IAgirl's pt at least once a week. Most of my conditioners have protein in them. To not tip that balance in one direction or the other I dilute my conditioner. I also add a few drops of Neutral Protein Filler (I got it at Sally's) if I need to make a stronger protein conditioner. It's annoying but I find I have to always be evaluating how my hair feels (dry and wet) to figure out what I need to keep it balanced or get it balanced. I definitely cannot use the same products every day.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• CallyCally Posts: 58Registered Users
    Oh wow, I have the exact same hair.

Growing up I ALWAYS thought my hair was dry because it was curly and frizzy, so I overloaded it with moisture. Long story short, it never really helped much.
    My hair really likes protein, makes my curls springy and more defined.
    However, if I don't have a good moisturizing conditioner my hair feels dry. Too much weighs my curls down.
    Its a constant struggle. But I love my curls.
    Fine 2c-3a Curls
    Normal porosity/ Medium density
    Henna over color-treated hair
    Not currently CG :(
    Poo: Pureology hydrate
    RO: Pureology hydrate
    LI: HSH Tri-wheat spray
    DT: Coconut oil
    PT: Henna/Cassia
    Styler: AG recoil/mousse-gel
  • thecurlycockneythecurlycockney Posts: 28Registered Users
    It varies from person to person. My hair is addicted to protein, I try to do a treatment once a week. My boyfriend on the other hand doesn't need it at all, whenever he uses my products they always make his hair dry and stiff. Experiement and see what ones work for you. Redken CAT is amazing if you're just starting to get into protein treatments!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file