Hi!

Blissy101Blissy101 Posts: 12Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello, I'm Jodianne, but you can just call me Jodie. I am a 15 year old african american girl. Throughout the years I have had short lived attempts at trying to properly care for my hair so that it can grow beyond shoulder length, but all of my attempts ended in frustration and embaressment. Unlike most girls with 4A/4B/4C hair, I have never put chemicals in my hair and have only used heat on it about 5 times in my entire life. That probably wouldn't have been true if it weren't for my mother, who is avertly against relaxers, and chemicals that alter the properties of hair. Unfortunately other than that she is very old-fashioned in the sense that she believes that coarse hair only grows dirty, and that the only way to moisturize it is to use products like Blue Magic. Based on what I have read online, and the fact that my hair has not grow an inch in the last 6 years, I know that that isn't a good way to grow out hair, and so I decided to come here. I think that the reason all of my previous attempts failed was because I felt stupid, especially when my mom would tell me that all of what I was doing only made my hair worse, and I also felt overwhelmed from all of the products that people said were good, but didn't work for me.
Currently I am wearing wigs, but I feel very insecure while outside, and would prefer to leave my natural hair out more often. Hopefully I will be able to finally take control of my hair and care for it the right way with the help of you guys. ^-^

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi there and welcome.

You are lucky that you have not spoilt your natural hair. Most of us here had to ruin our hair before accepting it at a much older age.

I would spend a lot of time reading the articles on this site, and then try and work out your hair properties of hair density, strand size and porosity.

Only once you have done that start experimenting as there is no point wasting money on lots of products plus as you have always been natural it may be something simple that isn't working for you.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also remember taking care of your scalp is important in hair growth. You want to keep it clean and free of buildup. hair grease is not a moisturizer. It can be used to seal after using a water based product. It works well for some people but I prefer to use oils to seal because hair grease is very heavy. It will end up on my scalp and clog my pores and give me terrible flakes I have to shampoo out. Also anything with mineral oil attracts lint to my hair and I have to shampoo more. The good news is thete are a lot of inexpensive products you can try when you get to know your properties. Some of my staples are EVOO, honey and banana baby food.

I wish I was a life long natural.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Blissy101Blissy101 Posts: 12Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the advice.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree grease is not the way to moisturize hair. But oils can help seal the hair. Good ones are: grape seed, coconut, avocado, and olive oils to name a few. I don't use them because they tend to make my hair hard. So I use well formulated products to care for my hair. Try getting a curly cut. This will help your curl pattern & getting your hair trimmed regularly (ever 3-4 months) will help your hair grow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file