This newbie is a curly mess

soylaivanasoylaivana Posts: 2Registered Users
Hey everyone! I'm Ivana from Chile, though I'm currently living in Holland. I joined this website since I have very long 3a hair and haven't cut it in months.. And I have TONS of hair. I call it the hair monster :angry5:

My mother dealed with my hair by braiding it after combing it (while I cried!) or putting it up in a high ponytail. When I turned 15 my hair became more curly and from that day until University, I always straightened my hair with a flat iron. But then at Uni I didn't have enough time for that and I had to embrace the curls.

I'm absolutely clueless about what to do with it since the only time I loved a haircut it was when I had a bob cut and could iron it in two minutes (besides, my hair is flat at the top), and last time my hair was this long I got a terrible haircut that made me lose half of my length (my hair doesn't like razors, tyvm). I get knots within half a day, my hair takes a full day to air dry and it's waist length when straightened. The monster follows me around, gets in my food, traps my hand while I sleep and becomes huge when I try to use the hair dryer. It does look awesome once in a while, but more often than not it's a huge curly mess.

I admit I don't do much to my hair; I use a lush shampoo bar (and shampoo once a week) and john frieda's conditioner and leave-in. I never use a hair mask or put oil on it. I haven't used henna in over two years now... So I came here to learn a bit and figure out how to solve my hair problem :)

Apparently my hair is.. 3a, low porosity, high density, medium width and long. They should add a tangle factor, then mine would qualify as INSANE.

Glad to meet other curlies :bunny:

Comments

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome!

Shampoo bars are often based on alkaline soap which is damaging to acidic hair, so are many commercial sulphate shampoos.

You might try clarifying then switching to the Curly Girl method. Key aspects are not brushing or combing when dry, applying leave in conditioner and styler to dripping wet hair. See the stickies for more information.

There is a good book on curly up dos called 'Strictly Curls', plus various tutorials on YouTube. Especially see Waterlily716's channel - she has had very long hair and a fair bit of density too.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file